Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
For now.

4 months from now?

There is a plan mentioned in other threads for Furlough Mitigation. Pro-actively reducing the Man Days the current pilot force works.

1. Presently near 40% of the Pilot force works 216 days per year... while the remaining pilots work about 180. An alternate schedule reducing the 216 days to 168 days is offered. There is reason to believe a large percent participation is possible.

If 100% of the 216 day pilots switched to that schedule... would be the Equivalent of furloughing 342 pilots.

2. Early outs. 350 or so pilots are in their mid 60's. There is an offer to collect 2 years pay over a 3 year period if they elect to leave now. If 1/2 accept that offer ... it is equivalent to 175 pilots who need not be furloughed.

That's a possible 517 jobs to be saved with just these 2 measures. About a 17.5 % reduction in man-days.

There are Long term and short term leave offers. Other measures but I believe the two options I posted above will result in the major effect.

In the long term, only increased sales and flying will really prevent job losses.

Not trying to stir the pot guys, promise... Talked to several "older" pilots this last week and they sounded happy about the options that have come up in the last week... Don't blame them really. Hopefully you guys can make it through these tough times without furloughing or reducing pilots that want to fly!

In that case your total pay goes down but not in proportion to the lesser days worked; ie, you end up working 14 days per month and get paid the normal 18-day schedule daily rate at 15 days per month. Your daily rate actually goes up compared with the normal 18-day schedule. More information on the package can be found at NJASAP's website.

if u elect to reduce your schedule from 216 to 168 does your pay decrease pro rata?
It is nearly the same as the NORMAL 7&7 schedule. Your schedule changes every month whereas the 7&7 does not change.

I think there will be a high subscription rate because working 168 days gets paid about the same as working 182 does now.

Also if you look at the pay for working 18 days vs working 14 days ... there is a great difference ... Is it really worth working 48 MORE DAYS per year for that amount of money?

IMO,Few people will work 18 days... instead of 14.

There are also ways to reduce your work schedule without changing your base wages, by converting some "overtime" to time off through participation in the new "Paid Leave Bank" program. (This works separately from the programed "reduced schedule" options, but would provide a pilot fewer work days.)

My family has decided to participate in the new "Paid Leave Bank" program. It's a very worthwhile cause and we think that lots of individual efforts can add up to significant results. It has the potential to save jobs while giving the pilots more time at home. That's a win/win situation in our book. Hopefully, other NJ families will think so, too. NJW

Its great to see the NJ pilots coming together to help each other. Its so rare these days to see that when "everyone is looking out for number 1".

I sincerely hope your programs are successful and there are no furloughs :)

Latest resources

Back