• Watchers 22

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
G4
If negotiations go south and a strike vote is called, is there a percentage that would sway your position? 51%, 75%, 90%? As you know the strike vote only authorizes a strike.
Will you support the FA's if their talks continue to deteriorate?

I don't know what I would do. The percentage wouldn't affect me, as I don't believe in Groupthink. My wife's medical bills are so high, I can't see how I could honor a picket line anyway. I would probably leave the company and do something else with my life. I know if I scabbed I would be pretty miserable at NJA. In other words, the union types who think it is all right to mistreat a scab would win. I hope the FAs get a fair deal, but that is between them and NJA.

Okay, I don't think you get it.

If you dont think a strike is the right thing to do, that's disagreeing with me.

If you cross the picket line, you have now started ACTIVELY working against me.

And the irony of doing that is we are working to provide better compensation for YOU and your family.

I get it, you don't like unions and wish you weren't in one. That's fine.
But, here you are. You ARE in a union.
The problem is, you're still thinking and acting like you work at a place without a union. Sorry my friend, but unless/until you leave NJA, those days are gone.

If the union votes to strike, and it actually comes to a strike, there is no "Well I don't agree so I'm going to cross the picket line.".
I get it, that sucks for you. But basically, too bad. Crossing a picket line isn't just "Doing what I have to for me and my family.". It's actively working AGAINST everyone else who is on strike doing what they feel is best for their families, and ironically, YOURS TOO.

Like I said, if the majority succeeds, you succeed. Why is that hard to understand? Why wouldn't you want to be a part of that success?

And more importantly, please answer my question: If we were to strike and be successful at getting a great new CBA, will you accept the new compensation, or return it to the company? How will you feel entitled to something you actively worked against? I'll bet my next year's pay that if we struck and got a great new contract you'll be shouting "Hooray union! Union all the way!", all while having been a scab.

Sorry, if you don't think that's worthy of lifelong derision, I can't imagine what would. Accepting the benefits of everyone else's hard work and sacrifice (I assure you there would be plenty of strikers participating who wouldn't agree with the strike, but understand the power and NECESSITY of solidarity) while you selfishly took advantage of the situation is pretty scummy.

And while you say you would never treat a striker like strikers treat scabs, I have a news flash for you buddy, crossing a picket line IS treating the strikers VERY shoddily. You're crapping all over what they're trying to accomplish. While I'm trying to support a growing family AND taking care if my own sick relative but still being part of the union, you cross the picket line and then tell me you aren't treating me badly in any way? Hoo boy!!

But, it won't come to an actual strike. You have very little to worry about.

I'm finished explaining. Understand the reasons or not, if you decide to be a scab at least you understand the consequences, whether you agree with them or not. Still, I look forward to hearing your answers to the questions i posed here.

I have always understood the consequences. I was just hoping somebody would question the morality and decency of them. Guess not.

Okay, I don't think you get it.

If you dont think a strike is the right thing to do, that's disagreeing with me.

If you cross the picket line, you have now started ACTIVELY working against me.

And the irony of doing that is we are working to provide better compensation for YOU and your family.

I get it, you don't like unions and wish you weren't in one. That's fine.
But, here you are. You ARE in a union.
The problem is, you're still thinking and acting like you work at a place without a union. Sorry my friend, but unless/until you leave NJA, those days are gone.

If the union votes to strike, and it actually comes to a strike, there is no "Well I don't agree so I'm going to cross the picket line.".
I get it, that sucks for you. But basically, too bad. Crossing a picket line isn't just "Doing what I have to for me and my family.". It's actively working AGAINST everyone else who is on strike doing what they feel is best for their families, and ironically, YOURS TOO.

Like I said, if the majority succeeds, you succeed. Why is that hard to understand? Why wouldn't you want to be a part of that success?

And more importantly, please answer my question: If we were to strike and be successful at getting a great new CBA, will you accept the new compensation, or return it to the company? How will you feel entitled to something you actively worked against? I'll bet my next year's pay that if we struck and got a great new contract you'll be shouting "Hooray union! Union all the way!", all while having been a scab.

Sorry, if you don't think that's worthy of lifelong derision, I can't imagine what would. Accepting the benefits of everyone else's hard work and sacrifice (I assure you there would be plenty of strikers participating who wouldn't agree with the strike, but understand the power and NECESSITY of solidarity) while you selfishly took advantage of the situation is pretty scummy.

And while you say you would never treat a striker like strikers treat scabs, I have a news flash for you buddy, crossing a picket line IS treating the strikers VERY shoddily. You're crapping all over what they're trying to accomplish. While I'm trying to support a growing family AND taking care if my own sick relative but still being part of the union, you cross the picket line and then tell me you aren't treating me badly in any way? Hoo boy!!

But, it won't come to an actual strike. You have very little to worry about.

I'm finished explaining. Understand the reasons or not, if you decide to be a scab at least you understand the consequences, whether you agree with them or not. Still, I look forward to hearing your answers to the questions i posed here.

Oops, I forgot to answer your question about accepting a union negotiated compensation package. I work for the company, and will accept what they offer me. If they don't offer me enough, I will go elsewhere. I don't care about the union or no union, I will accept what NJA pays or go elsewhere. I am aware that the union will get me a better deal than if there was no union. I am also aware the union deal will make it harder for the company to compete and grow. All this is out of my hands, I just fly for a living. I get paid, I cash the check. I was forced to join the union, so it is a fact of life, just like Hansell and Noe. People will think my acceptance of a union negotiated paycheck is hypocritical, but I just fly for a living. I used to negotiate my pay, now the unwelcome union does it for me by force. It is a fait accompli.

It'd be interesting to see what experiences G4 has had to make him feel the way he does and contrast that to some of the others in here. People are a result of their environment after all. I doubt G4 threatens to cross because of his genetic makeup or the way he was built. It must be someone early on in his career that planted the seed and shaped the thought process.

Like I said, interesting...

Sorry, I'll butt out now. Just making an observation.

It'd be interesting to see what experiences G4 has had to make him feel the way he does and contrast that to some of the others in here. People are a result of their environment after all. I doubt G4 threatens to cross because of his genetic makeup or the way he was built. It must be someone early on in his career that planted the seed and shaped the thought process.

Like I said, interesting...

Sorry, I'll butt out now. Just making an observation.
Looks like G4 things he has a pretty good deal, 14K hours he has been around a while, wife with medical bills probably means older. I believe he has a tangible fear the the "company Busters" will screw up his pretty good deal. I understand. Standing by for incoming flax for having a non pro union thought.

I don't know what I would do. The percentage wouldn't affect me, as I don't believe in Groupthink. My wife's medical bills are so high, I can't see how I could honor a picket line anyway. I would probably leave the company and do something else with my life. I know if I scabbed I would be pretty miserable at NJA. In other words, the union types who think it is all right to mistreat a scab would win. I hope the FAs get a fair deal, but that is between them and NJA.

There is no way on God's green earth that we will ever go on strike. But that's another discussion entirely. Now to your point...

COBRA. When you are on strike, you still have your medical insurance available to you through COBRA. I know this because I lived it.

Looks like G4 things he has a pretty good deal, 14K hours he has been around a while, wife with medical bills probably means older. I believe he has a tangible fear the the "company Busters" will screw up his pretty good deal. I understand. Standing by for incoming flax for having a non pro union thought.

Dude, go away. You don't know dick about our company or union so stop acting like you do.

I get it. My point was, and I will try to iterate it again, is that those of us would not strike don't keep a list of strikers and attempt to harass them for the rest of their careers.

Just as, after the battle is over, deserters don't keep lists of those who stood and fought.

When you scab you give up your honor. I suspect that for a scab, over time the harassment and open hostility fades. But everyone will always remember that he/she is someone that sold their honor and integrity at a time when most others, although equally scared, stood strong together.

Last edited:
Dude, go away. You don't know dick about our company or union so stop acting like you do.
public site, public comment, answering a question put fourth in public. But as I said in my post, since it was not 100% pro-union, therefore it has to be attacked. Standard union activist play book.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back