• Start date
  • Watchers 22

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Yes I do understand better, thanks. But my question remains. Even with understanding why union strikers disagree with scabs, I don't understand the hatred, and deplore the awful behavior, the intimidation and harassment. And don't understand why every decent person does not come out and say this. Even Gutshotdraw, who is one of my favorite people at NJA, doesn't seem to deplore the harassment, merely stating that it is to be expected.

Did you read the big long post I made prior to the one you quoted?

I thought I laid it out fairly well.

Okay, imagine that you have to dig a large, deep hole. It's you and a bunch of your buddies out there with nothing but shovels and your own muscle power to get the job done in the scorching summer sun. The job should only take a week. But while you're digging, a smaller group of people show up and begin throwing dirt back in the hole.

Now it takes you an extra three days. Yeah, the job got done. But what will your opinion be of the people up top who were working to slow you down, whether that was their final goal or not? You going to buy them a beer and say "Well, let's let bygones be bygones"? And will you feel even more kindly to them when you find out that they will enjoy the benefits of the hole you dug (whatever those benefits are) even though they did their best to slow, or stop, your progress? Will you feel forgiving to them because one or two of them did what they did because they have sick family members? Even if you and some of your buddies who were trying to dig the hole also have sick family members? What excuses will you accept?

Anyway, please reread my first post. If you are still coming away from it asking "Why the hate and shoddy treatment?" then you're intentionally missing the reason(s).

Reality man......Nailed it!!

I doubt you will change his mind.

But at least you have the satisfaction of knowing that you are doing more towards the welfare of G4's family than he is.

1 yes vote here to strike, no Global FO bid from me, and no Phenom CPT.

Thank all of you guys for trying.
Semore

(Saving every dime I can in preparation)

Okay, imagine that you have to dig a large, deep hole. It's you and a bunch of your buddies out there with nothing but shovels and your own muscle power to get the job done in the scorching summer sun. The job should only take a week. But while you're digging, a smaller group of people show up and begin throwing dirt back in the hole.

Now it takes you an extra three days. Yeah, the job got done. But what will your opinion be of the people up top who were working to slow you down, whether that was their final goal or not? You going to buy them a beer and say "Well, let's let bygones be bygones"? And will you feel even more kindly to them when you find out that they will enjoy the benefits of the hole you dug (whatever those benefits are) even though they did their best to slow, or stop, your progress? Will you feel forgiving to them because one or two of them did what they did because they have sick family members? Even if you and some of your buddies who were trying to dig the hole also have sick family members? What excuses will you accept?

Anyway, please reread my first post. If you are still coming away from it asking "Why the hate and shoddy treatment?" then you're intentionally missing the reason(s).

That's a great analogy. I would only add that G4 doesn't have to help dig the hole if he disagrees with digging it (ie: don't walk a picket line, etc.). But don't shovel dirt in top of the others (ie: cross a picket line).

I do have a better understanding, but the behavior towards scabs still seems unfair in the extreme, and I think it is shameful. If I scab, it will be because I disagree with the strategy of striking, not "turning my back on my colleagues." When you strike with my disapproval, I don't consider that action "turning your back" on me, and I would not mistreat you for striking. Even though I would consider your strike an action which would endanger my employer's existence, which would harm my family. And I would still not put your name on a lifelong list for harassment. I am amazed and disgusted that nobody on this board is condemning the union mistreatment of scabs. Nobody here feels queasy about it, and y'all should be ashamed.

G4
If negotiations go south and a strike vote is called, is there a percentage that would sway your position? 51%, 75%, 90%? As you know the strike vote only authorizes a strike.
Will you support the FA's if their talks continue to deteriorate?

Hey Imac.

1 yes vote here to strike, no Global FO bid from me, and no Phenom CPT.
So what's the story on having to mention this?

It just means I won't impede any FO from getting a raise by bidding those positions.

I do have a better understanding, but the behavior towards scabs still seems unfair in the extreme, and I think it is shameful. If I scab, it will be because I disagree with the strategy of striking, not "turning my back on my colleagues." When you strike with my disapproval, I don't consider that action "turning your back" on me, and I would not mistreat you for striking. Even though I would consider your strike an action which would endanger my employer's existence, which would harm my family. And I would still not put your name on a lifelong list for harassment. I am amazed and disgusted that nobody on this board is condemning the union mistreatment of scabs. Nobody here feels queasy about it, and y'all should be ashamed.

Okay, I don't think you get it.

If you dont think a strike is the right thing to do, that's disagreeing with me.

If you cross the picket line, you have now started ACTIVELY working against me.

And the irony of doing that is we are working to provide better compensation for YOU and your family.

I get it, you don't like unions and wish you weren't in one. That's fine.
But, here you are. You ARE in a union.
The problem is, you're still thinking and acting like you work at a place without a union. Sorry my friend, but unless/until you leave NJA, those days are gone.

If the union votes to strike, and it actually comes to a strike, there is no "Well I don't agree so I'm going to cross the picket line.".
I get it, that sucks for you. But basically, too bad. Crossing a picket line isn't just "Doing what I have to for me and my family.". It's actively working AGAINST everyone else who is on strike doing what they feel is best for their families, and ironically, YOURS TOO.

Like I said, if the majority succeeds, you succeed. Why is that hard to understand? Why wouldn't you want to be a part of that success?

And more importantly, please answer my question: If we were to strike and be successful at getting a great new CBA, will you accept the new compensation, or return it to the company? How will you feel entitled to something you actively worked against? I'll bet my next year's pay that if we struck and got a great new contract you'll be shouting "Hooray union! Union all the way!", all while having been a scab.

Sorry, if you don't think that's worthy of lifelong derision, I can't imagine what would. Accepting the benefits of everyone else's hard work and sacrifice (I assure you there would be plenty of strikers participating who wouldn't agree with the strike, but understand the power and NECESSITY of solidarity) while you selfishly took advantage of the situation is pretty scummy.

And while you say you would never treat a striker like strikers treat scabs, I have a news flash for you buddy, crossing a picket line IS treating the strikers VERY shoddily. You're crapping all over what they're trying to accomplish. While I'm trying to support a growing family AND taking care if my own sick relative but still being part of the union, you cross the picket line and then tell me you aren't treating me badly in any way? Hoo boy!!

But, it won't come to an actual strike. You have very little to worry about.

I'm finished explaining. Understand the reasons or not, if you decide to be a scab at least you understand the consequences, whether you agree with them or not. Still, I look forward to hearing your answers to the questions i posed here.

Latest resources

Back