Net Jets Question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Thanks AirBear......

Time go re-re-re-read the "questions" section on the board.

I am curious as to how the Company is going to set up the schedules though.

OK, This one is for all the former airline guys at Net Jets. I'm a regional Capt. about to start year 9 with a brand new contract. Money is OK and QOL is pretty good. I've done the corporate thing in a former life and a friend of mine has been begging me to jump over to NetJets. I'm batting the idea around, but I need a little more info than just contract language. Pros and Cons. Was it worth it? Yada Yada Yada. Any help in this area would greatly be appreciated.

It would seem to me that if you are happy where you are, why switch, just to make a few extra dollars and fly non stop for 7 days in a small cramped up jet, because I know for sure, you won't be climbing into a large, or even medium size jet for at least 4 years or so, not to mention you will be going right, and not left for your seat, after you have carried and loaded the baggage of the passengers. With all the if's of the new contract, you may make a big mistake leaving a good QOL that you and your family have enjoyed for 9 years, to take a job that MIGHT pay more and MIGHT let you upgrade in 4 years or so.
Remember, you can always go to another job if you have to, but I would stay put, earn my money, enjoy my QOL with my family for another 11 years, then retire from that company, and go flying all over the world for some other company, if flying to many different destinations is really what you want.
As you know, pilots, along with most everybody else, are always looking for greener pastures, better QOL, less work, yada, yada, yada.
Just my thoughts, I know that my thoughts are not for everyone, but you asked and I gave my 2 cents worth.
GOOD LUCK!!

It would seem to me that if you are happy where you are, why switch, just to make a few extra dollars and fly non stop for 7 days in a small cramped up jet, because I know for sure, you won't be climbing into a large, or even medium size jet for at least 4 years or so, not to mention you will be going right, and not left for your seat, after you have carried and loaded the baggage of the passengers. With all the if's of the new contract, you may make a big mistake leaving a good QOL that you and your family have enjoyed for 9 years, to take a job that MIGHT pay more and MIGHT let you upgrade in 4 years or so.
Remember, you can always go to another job if you have to, but I would stay put, earn my money, enjoy my QOL with my family for another 11 years, then retire from that company, and go flying all over the world for some other company, if flying to many different destinations is really what you want.
As you know, pilots, along with most everybody else, are always looking for greener pastures, better QOL, less work, yada, yada, yada.
Just my thoughts, I know that my thoughts are not for everyone, but you asked and I gave my 2 cents worth.
GOOD LUCK!!

That's not entirley true. A new hire can be put into any of the airplanes on property. I'm sure the chances are better in getting something like the Excel over the Falcon, but certainly could happen depending on what the company needs at the time.

Other than that, nice post. I did leave a regional as a 5 year captain to come to NJ. I love it. But there's a big difference between 5 year and 11 year QOL.

I might second some other's suggestions to put your resume in and see if you can get a free, 2 day, all expenses paid trip to Columbus. Watch the dog and pony show and then sit down with your wife and make an informed choice.

Good luck.

What is the max length of tour on the 18 day sked? I believe I saw you can opt (?) for 5 days max on the 15, yes?

What is the max length of tour on the 18 day sked? I believe I saw you can opt (?) for 5 days max on the 15, yes?

Once per bid period (which is 4 months), the company can extend a 7-day tour to 8 days. Once they do that, you'll be owed a minimum of 5 days off. And of course, that would remove one more working day from that month. So if that happened on the first tour of a month, you'd only be on the hook for another 10 days of work.

On the 15-day Flex schedule, the tours are 5 days in length with a minimum of 3 days off after a tour. There is no other tour length on this schedule.

I hope that answers your question.

Last edited:
OK, This one is for all the former airline guys at Net Jets. I'm a regional Capt. about to start year 9 with a brand new contract. Money is OK and QOL is pretty good. I've done the corporate thing in a former life and a friend of mine has been begging me to jump over to NetJets. I'm batting the idea around, but I need a little more info than just contract language. Pros and Cons. Was it worth it? Yada Yada Yada. Any help in this area would greatly be appreciated.

I was in the exact same spot you are in about a year ago. I made the jump and commuted to my base. Paying $100 for one way tickets and getting paid $39,000 a year. Even then, it was still well worth it.

Now, with this new TA on the verge of being voted in(arguably), anyone would be a fool not to make the jump. A net gain of around 60 aircraft next year alone and 125 annual attrition means a minimum of 450 pilots hired next year. Add that to airline pay scale(5 year FO=$68k to $83k & 5 year Capt. =$100k to $122k), great benefits, 100 bases, easy work schedule (compared to what you are used to), cool airplanes, rich and famous passengers, variety of locations, treated like a human instead of an animal, etc., etc., etc...

Do it and don't look back. I will never regret it, and I am never going back to the airlines.

My new goal is to some day fly the QSST before I retire. I heard we are putting an order it to the skunk works in the spring.;)

Last edited:
Once per bid period (which is 4 months), the company can extend a 7-day tour to 8 days. Once they do that, you'll be owed a minimum of 5 days off. And of course, that would remove one more working day from that month. So if that happened on the first tour of a month, you'd only be on the hook for another 10 days of work.
I think they have to build that 8-day tour into your fixed schedule. You'd know about it by the 15th of the month prior.

On the 15-day Flex schedule, the tours are 5 days in length with a minimum of 3 days off after a tour. There is no other tour length on this schedule.

I hope that answers your question.

Two things:
1) you'll know about the 8-day trip in advance, since it is a fixed schedule.

2) there is no minimum tour length on the 15-day. Will the company generally send you out for the full five, probably, but it doesn't prevent them from sending you on a shorter trip if they only need you for a couple days.

The 15-day flex tour length is up to 5 days long with at least 3 days off regardless of actual tour length. See below.

19.1(C) 15-Day Flex Schedule: General Description
The 15-Day Flex Schedule will consist of no more than fifteen (15) required work days in a single calendar month except as provided in this Section 19. The maximum tour length for a crewmember on the 15-Day Flex Schedule is five (5) consecutive work days. The Company will schedule a minimum of three (3) consecutive days off following any duty tour on the 15-Day Flex Schedule, regardless of length.

Sorry to be repetitive, Imacdog beat me to it.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back