Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

OpsCheckGood

ASA Throttle Monkey
OK, This one is for all the former airline guys at Net Jets. I'm a regional Capt. about to start year 9 with a brand new contract. Money is OK and QOL is pretty good. I've done the corporate thing in a former life and a friend of mine has been begging me to jump over to NetJets. I'm batting the idea around, but I need a little more info than just contract language. Pros and Cons. Was it worth it? Yada Yada Yada. Any help in this area would greatly be appreciated.

Last edited:
Hi Ops, I made the jump from a regional to NetJets. Before the regional I flew passenger and freight 135 in piston aircraft and really enjoyed that type of flying. In my opinion, fractional flying combines the best of the airlines (schedule, contract, standardization, etc) with the best aspects of charter/corporate flying (good equipment, interesting destinations, wide variety of flying, etc). As far as NetJets in particular, we are treated well and have a good group to fly with. If you are interested in the fine details of what we do, you can download our contract from www.ibt1108.org . Overall I'm happy I made the decision to go to NetJets - it isn't for everyone but it is a good job.

Ops....

The app process is going to get alot longer for 2008, especially is the new contract proposal passes opening up the crew bases to 100 and giving the F/O a substantial pay increase.

I also believe thatthose apps from current frac pilots from other companies might get put to the top of the list for interviews. Many of them are already current and typed in the a/c NJA flies and they have a pretty good understanding of what is involved flying for a frac.

Good luck in your decision.

Hey Ops

You appear to be satisfied with your current job. Why would you give up nine years seniority? You're master of your domain right now, but you'll go back to the right seat for like 4 years. You'll lose your jumpseat privileges and your flight attendant. Is it worth it?

I can think of reasons why someone would want to switch, but I've never met anyone who admitted that they liked the Regionals. If you're happy and you know it...

Thanks guys, Those are the things I've been considering. My buddy paints a very pretty picture over at the fracs, and there's no arguing that the money is better. But, I'm 3/4 of the way down the list where I am and life isn't that bad. There are things I don't like about my current place of employment, but I'm not quite sure if it's worth going to the right seat and the bottom of the list at a company with very little attrition. Sounds like a good deal over there with a little bit of fun and a lot of nice bennies. The future money would be nice though..........time to pull out the magic 8-ball I guess.

I'd say apply, interview, get offered the job, then make up your mind. Sounds to me like the whole process takes a while and it may get even worse if the IBB goes through.

Leaving regionals for NJs??? Sure, why not. Would you leave your current job for JetBlue? or Airtran?

If this IBB vote passes, you will start out at $59,000. I am guessing that is close to what your making now. Upgrades will be slow, but the FO pay might be livable.

How many of your FOs quit NJs to work at your commuter? I am guessing that answer is none.

NJs can be a career job. How many of your 5 year captains are making $100,000? Almost all of NJs are.

But for a regional f/o like myself, making $35k, it's a no-brainer. Sure I lose my jumpseat priveliges, but with an extra $25k+, I think I can buy a ticket for the one or two times a year I go somewhere.

I'm not comparing companies. I understand the hands down winner there. In 5 years I'll upgrade and make 100 there. In 5 years I'll have 14 in and be making that here. NJ's money goes up quite substantially after that though. It's the other factors that I'm interested in. Do you guys miss long overnights by the pool with good crews? Does 7days on get to be normal and tolerable, because 4 seems like to long right now. The lack of friends and family being able to travel with your passes. It's these things I'm wondering if it's worth giving up. The money is black and white. It's better over there, but I'm not in the poor house now. Is there more to it than money?

I'm not comparing companies. I understand the hands down winner there. In 5 years I'll upgrade and make 100 there. In 5 years I'll have 14 in and be making that here. NJ's money goes up quite substantially after that though. It's the other factors that I'm interested in. Do you guys miss long overnights by the pool with good crews? Does 7days on get to be normal and tolerable, because 4 seems like to long right now. The lack of friends and family being able to travel with your passes. It's these things I'm wondering if it's worth giving up. The money is black and white. It's better over there, but I'm not in the poor house now. Is there more to it than money?

Regional flying is waaay too boring for me. I have been at my regional for years too and I am looking for good pay (after a few years), route variety (I am so bored with my routes) and nice equipment (Citation X, G200 or a Sovereign would be very nice).

I'd say get on with Netjets now if you have the chance and beat the rush... If you were very secure with your current position you wouldn't be considering alternatives like Netjets. I would get the interview and evaluate from there...

Latest resources

Back