• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

National Seniority ist article

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
.............. and ALPA has started the long process of obtaining a national seniority list......

ALPA is not the be all end all of pilot unions. Regardless of anyone's opinion on the Teamsters, they represent plenty of pilots.

In general, a national seniority list would require many very complicated, high and solid fences to grandfather pilots that are "sitting pretty" at their carriers.

Free Agency, that is the answer? Airlines based upon their performance, get to draft new pilots. First round draft choices would really make out. They would then negotiate a contract for "X" years. At the end of that time the pilots could declare themselves as a "Free Agent". Other airlines that needed an A-320 Line Check Airman would bid for that pilot's services. This way the best would rise to the top and demand top salaries. How about it sounds like a better plan than national seniority.

I'm curious, does an electrician who is a member of the Electricians Union have a Seniority number?

2nd question: If a military electrician leaves the military and joins the Electricians Union does that person get their Military Seniority or do the start from scratch on the Union list?

3rd question: If an Electrician who is a union member, moves to another city does that person have to start at the bottom of the list in that city or do they take their journeymen experience and seniority with them.

I'm curious, does an electrician who is a member of the Electricians Union have a Seniority number?

YES

2nd question: If a military electrician leaves the military and joins the Electricians Union does that person get their Military Seniority or do the start from scratch on the Union list?
Starts from scratch unless a civilian electrician can join the military and base his pay grade and seniority on his/her experience. Which will never happen.

3rd question: If an Electrician who is a union member, moves to another city does that person have to start at the bottom of the list in that city or do they take their journeymen experience and seniority with them.
Yes he takes the seniority and experience with him/her.

My opinion of course.

"The Fee For Departure Committee spent 1.5 years developing a plan for the Fee For Departure airlines. One list is possible and a step by step plan and been submitted and approved by the ALPA BOD.

I copied and pasted this from the XJT pilot forum, this was posted by an ALPA National VP from XJT. I flew with him recently and he educated me a little on this subject but this is a serious issue and ALPA has started the long process of obtaining a national seniority list......

Wrong. This is a plan for cross seniority among a affiliated feeders under a given major airline brand.

It does not affect mainline, nor is it a precursor to a national list.

This is a repost of mine from last summer. I think most pilots intuitively know that we need a national seniority list. The question is when pilots will finally had enough and demand one. The question is how do we start. We keep getting bogged down with the nay-sayers.

We can do this. The companies really don’t care if we all get paid at $50,000 or $500,000 just as long as we’re close to the competition.

AA767AV8TOR

OK, how about we do it this way for a national seniority number – say we give a reasonable time period of 3-4 years for all of us to get through this current negotiation cycle. Then on 01/01/2011 or 2012, we rank all pilots in the industry based on their W-2 incomes from airline services and assign an industry wide seniority number. After that, it’s based on date and time of hire at your particular airline. It could done on an individual basis or be done by airline and position such as – All FedEx Captains, followed by UPS Captains followed by LUV Captains and so on.

For this to work, we need every major union on board.

Next we come out with national pay scales for each and every plane and position – industry wide. No more undercutting each other. It’s a national pay scale for our services for flying a plane from A to B. We also would have to develop common monthly hours and duty rigs. Pay and work rules would be adjusted annually by a national committee comprised of members from each union.

At this point, I realize UPS, FedEx, and the LUV pilots would be our top dogs. But, guess what – they deserve it. Next, it would motivate the rest of us to improve our contracts this next time around. Think of how easy any merger would be with a national seniority number. Instead of spending millions on attorneys and all the infighting amongst pilots, the money could be kept in house for us.

Furloughs would go in a common pool and picked up by the next company hiring based on their national seniority number and a minimum “agreed to” level of experience to occupy a particular aircraft and seat or else it goes to the next pilot in line.

So for the initial rank, we agree on a particular date and then rank from the top based on W-2 airline compensation, after which the seniority date would be on date and time of hire at one’s first airline (Part 121). The proposal would actually give all airline pilots an excuse to go after the big airline contract and max out their compensation during this next cycle. No excuses for bad negotiating or working for a crappy company. At the end of time period, it is what it is.

It’s simple and it’s doable. For the first time in a generation, it would put us – the U.S. pilots in the driver’s seat. We would be in direct control of our destiny, instead of the other way around. If we have to fight, our anger and focus would be directed at our companies for a better contract instead of each other. Any takers??

Or we could continue to do it the old way and maintain this profession on its downward death spiral.

AA767AV8TOR

P.S. I think most of us know what needs to be done. The question is when we determine we’ve had enough and to just go for it.
Last edited by AA767AV8TOR : 07-30-2008 at 13:41.

The logic there is that a job with a major is a better job than a job with a regional. When pilots stop leaving regionals to go to a major, you will have an argument that the two dates of hire are equal.

That is EXACTLY what is happening now. In several cases.

I always laugh when this discussion comes up...you guys are crazy if you think that this will ever work.

Latest resources

Back