• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

My conversation with a "Delta" pilot

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I am unemployed and live with my parents.

(hey, it worked for George Costanza!)

Seriously though, that was pretty funny! So what did she say after you called her on it?

I just had a very similar experience at my home airport where I keep my plane. I was on a straight-in final, making my calls, and this local flight instructor cut me off so bad that I had to go around. I found out who he was and called him the next day to satisfy my curiosity about whether he saw me and ignored me or if he didn't...after a really interesting smarta$$ conversation from him, he informed me that he had been with Comair for several years prior to his instructing and that he knew what he was talking about.

The next day I talked with a guy who knew him since he was a kid and he laughed when I told him about the Comair thing. He said yeah, he INSTRUCTED at Comair the flight school. He didn't fly for the airline.

I can't wait to bump into the guy sometime. I am not too sure what I am going to say, but maybe you guys can help me out.....especially after he had the nerve to bash my Dash 8 when he hasn't been in anything bigger than a light twin.....

I was hanging with the FA the other day at the pool on the overnight.

She bummed a smoke from this guy sitting near us and he asked what we where in town for.

She said, for work, he says whatta ya do?

She says, "yah know the gizmos that make the cool shapes on Play-doh? We make those and do R&D at local schools"

I could hardly keep a straight face.

Medeco

hbrow15 said:
freaking stupid!! of course accident percentages among women are higher than among men, there are more male pilots than female. if you have 10 men and 1 has an accident thats a accident rate of 1%, if there are 2 females and 1 has an accident thats and accident rate of 50% among women.

You've gotta look at the statistics used for the study. I'm no expert, but I had a few statistics analysis classes in college (Psychology degree, gathering and analyzing statistical evidence is what we do). The study compared the top .055% of male pilots with the top .0014% of female pilots. Granted, that's still not a great 1-1 ratio sample, but I would assume that the study somehow controlled for the imbalance in the sample size (there are fairly accurate statistical methods for this). Moreover, further in the article is this snippet: "Kathleen's data shows that 100 male pilots over their 30 year careers have an average of 2.9 accidents, 0.6 of which are fatal, whereas 100 female pilots have 11.7 accidents, 2.3 of which are fatal". This leads me to believe there was, somewhere in the study, an equal sample size or the statistical equivalent of such. Without seeing the entire data of the study, I can't conclusively say this.........however, research with poor methodology is often poorly received, and people who publish this work, tend to shy away from such research. Point of all this, you can't say the study is necessarily wrong, without knowing how they controlled for the imbalance in male/female pilot ratios (which I'm sure they did, somehow).

hbrow15 said:
freaking stupid!! of course accident percentages among women are higher than among men, there are more male pilots than female. if you have 10 men and 1 has an accident thats a accident rate of 1%, if there are 2 females and 1 has an accident thats and accident rate of 50% among women.

Thats why they said -------------->

"Using a chi-squared test of proportions, it was found that about 0.39% of female pilots employed by major airlines had pilot-error accidents during 1986-1992. Conversely, only about 0.1% of their male counterparts had pilot-error accidents."

Chi-squared test of proportsions......

WSurf said:
Thats why they said -------------->

"Using a chi-squared test of proportions, it was found that about 0.39% of female pilots employed by major airlines had pilot-error accidents during 1986-1992. Conversely, only about 0.1% of their male counterparts had pilot-error accidents."

Chi-squared test of proportsions......

The best pilot I ever flew with in my entire career was a female. The worst pilot I ever flew with was a male.

Based on the "my-squared test of proportions", 100% of female pilots are good and 100% of male pilots are bad.

The generalized statement above is just as relevant (in other words, not at all) as the other ridiculous conclusion reached in the quote.

Some people have nothing better to do than try and inflate their own sense of self-worth by attempting to create imagined shortcomings in others at which to point in order to make themselves look better. One of the saddest commentaries on society today. These people are everywhere. They populate this board in amazing numbers. Pick any topic, any thread. You'll find these losers everywhere.

Latest resources

Back