• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Multi time building post

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
imacdog... how are you going to get paid 3,500 to fly that twin if you dont have the minimum flight time to get the job in the first place.... ... ohhhhhhh thats right.... you paid 14,000 k to rent that duchess.... out of indianapolis....

There are many operators who hire pilots to fly twins with little more than their multi or MEI ticket. I understand this might mean actually paying your dues, which no one seems to be interested in doing any more, but believe it or not 100 hours of straight and level VFR twin flying isn't the magical answer to getting a multi job. More power to those who are dumb enough to pay for a job.

MAS said:
answer me this...
ANYONE......

would you rather pay $3,500.... OR $12,500 for 100 hours of multi time?
I'll take option C. Get an MEI and a JOB. (you know they pay you money for those right?)

And yes, airlines DO look at the quality of your flight time. Don't kid yourself.

as i have stated before... you have to have 100 hours of twin time to put your mei ticket to use at my old school...

so...you pay 3,500 for the 100 hours of multi time rather than 10,000... then pay your dues as an mei...

Then find another school..... geez man.

Seriously...go to a different flight school if they require you to have 100 hrs multi before instructing. They are just trying to improve the revenue on their own airplanes.

Or go to a reputable cargo company like airnet or ameriflight and fly for a year. They don't require all that much multi time. At the end of your year you'll have 1000 hrs multi PIC for a 135 operator, be as sharp a pilot as anyone out there, and be paid fairly well to do it.

Anyone that is looking to be a professional pilot and pays for hours beyond what is needed for a certificate or rating is either ignorant or lazy.

Multi-time

How many companies will hire you to fly there planes after you get your multi rating. You have we'll say 15 hours average multi time when you get your rating with 1 hour PIC from your checkride. Then you need 14 more hours PIC to be an MEI with at least 5 hours in the model you will be teaching in. Its not the company's or flight school's decision to require 100 hours multi to instruct it is the INSURANCE COMPANIES, the devils that run this industry. I agree it sucks, but so if I split 30 hours with a fellow CFI to get my PIC time is this considered PFT to some of you guys who would rather die than pay for a couple hours. Show me one company that will hire me to fly there twin with 17 hours multi. If you do I will pay you for getting me a job that does not exist.

wt219200 said:
How many companies will hire you to fly there planes after you get your multi rating. You have we'll say 15 hours average multi time when you get your rating with 1 hour PIC from your checkride. Then you need 14 more hours PIC to be an MEI with at least 5 hours in the model you will be teaching in. Its not the company's or flight school's decision to require 100 hours multi to instruct it is the INSURANCE COMPANIES, the devils that run this industry. I agree it sucks, but so if I split 30 hours with a fellow CFI to get my PIC time is this considered PFT to some of you guys who would rather die than pay for a couple hours. Show me one company that will hire me to fly there twin with 17 hours multi. If you do I will pay you for getting me a job that does not exist.
I will agree with you that the 15hrs multi PIC is a big hurdle to get over to get your MEI. I got lucky that the school I was a CFI with flew a Cessna 401 under part 91, so when I could, I went along and flew the empty legs. Didn't pay a dime and they actually paid me for doing it. I have no problem with people paying for their time, if you got the cash, go for it. What I do have a problem with is people filling a pilot seat on an aircraft, for free or for sickening wages, that would otherwise go to a qualified commercial pilot that is trying to make a living. I don't know if thats the particular with the company in question, but it sorta smells like it.

There are plenty of schools out there that will start instructing you right away as a newly minted MEI. I went to UND, and their new MEI's start getting multi students almost right away. You can find a flight school like that just as easy as you can find a place to buy time for $35/hr. Sure, pay for you 15ME PIC if you have to, but if you're paying for 100s of hours of time, you either have WAY more money than I do (which isn't much), or you're just plain lazy.

MarineGrunt said:
What I do have a problem with is people filling a pilot seat on an aircraft, for free or for sickening wages, that would otherwise go to a qualified commercial pilot that is trying to make a living.
It's called Supply and Demand.

wt219200 said:

I have not worked for them, but people here have said that Ram Air Freight, Flight Express, and Air Now (to name a few) have transitioned to their multis with a fresh multi ticket. Central Air Southwest is currently advertising for pilots that meet 135 minimums. Another option is to go instruct at a school that will give you a break on training for your MEI rating where you can begin giving instruction once you get it.

Renting a plane to build time is sometimes necessary, but renting ususally means you get to decide what to do with the aircraft. The FBO makes money by letting you take their plane. Paying to work for a company is far different. You are providing a service to a company to help them make money, in addition to giving them your money for the priviledge to do so.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back