Multi time building post

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
MAS said:
if TIS tells me there is a clear cut line between the two.. ill back off... otherwise...fo...

MAS, check this link:

http://forums.flightinfo.com/showthread.php?t=67741

If you what to hear from TIS, you'll have to go where the weather is better.;)

:uzi: PFW

I think (my feeling here) that the difference is when I buy my BE76, PA44 whatever multi time, I fly where and when I want. These guys here put you to WORK. You fly their schedule and their routes. Try taking their twin to XZY airport or something, I'll bet they won't let you. Are you "pay for training"? Not training, but you're paying to work hence PFW, just as bad as PFT! NO-GO!

eP.

If it was an Astec, then that would be a pretty good a/c to learn in. The website says they fly twin comanchee... weeeeee!!!!!

Slick airplane! I did my multiengine training in a B.

If I didn't had anything to do for a couple of months, had the do-ray-me and I was light on twin time, then I would go fly the PA30. $35 an hour sounds pretty good to me.

Just like mom and pop flight schools instead of prredatory flight academies, no one cares where you build your time.

It's your money. Spend it wisely.

I have something to contribute here. A couple of years ago I participated in the program.

Here’s a little backround. It was less than a year since 9/11, and jobs were hard to come by.. I was flight instructing at a small school that didn’t have a twin. I also pumped gas and flew traffic, as well as ferry flights whenever the chance offered itself. My TT was a little under 1000 with 18 multi. Although I knew my chances of finding a 135 VFR job were slim, I nevertheless had sent out more than a few resumes. My chances of finding a multi job were slim indeed.

I called two buddies who lived in Texas and were familiar with the program. They both endorsed it and it seemed like the most reasonable way to increase my multi experience. For a little less than a month in Texas I could raise my TT close to IFR 135 times and make myself more attractive to any employer multi wise.

The flying was actually pretty fun. It’s not a whole lot different than flying traffic, but the scenery was a little different. It was an interesting balance of flying high for safety and efficiency reasons, and flying low when the weather required it. It was also my first time in an ADIZ. I had previously assumed it was a line and not an area. Anyway, my “can do” attitude seemed to be a good fit.

As luck would have it, within two months of my return from Texas, two freight jobs were offered to me simultaneously. The first was in a Metro, the other in a small jet. I took the latter job, but there was certainly no SJS, other factors played a bigger role in decision. Neither job would have been offered if my logbook didn’t reflect my time in Galveston.

It was a positive experience for me. To those that would damn my choice, I strongly support your right to have your opinion, but it was my choice to make. My alternatives? Ditch my employer, go to another flight school, and instruct at (maybe) 50 hours/year. Two other choices were economically not available to me…spend $15,000 on aircraft rental, or buying a plane. I have known people to do each of these.

It was my choice to make, and I have been forthcoming during interviews with respect to my multi time and it hasn’t been a problem. I no longer fly freight, but my 900 hours in the trade was something I’m glad I had the chance to do.

Lilah

PS. Not that it makes any difference, but I did interview with Mesa for the practice and turned the job offer down…

ePilot22 said:
[/size][/font]

Did you pay to fly traffic too?

SO, how'd you build your multi time? $200 hamburger trips in a rented twin? Squeaking by for several years trying to build enough multi time for 135 IFR mins. by instructing? Seems to me that YOU guys are the ONLY ones that care where someone gets their time at... most employers I know sure dont, as long as you've got it. You know, the majority of students don't have Mommy and Daddy to wipe their a$$es and fork out cash for training every time they wimper like some others do. I know several guys I went through flight school with that struggled as instructors for 2 or 3 YEARS before they got to 100 multi. What did they learn? flying around the practice area in the right seat and instructing. Not saying it's not a good way to build time IF you are in a position that has the capacity to get you that time. $3500 for 100 hours of multi is unheard of in ANY twin, much less a Twin Comanche. If I were at a point that I needed to build some multi time quick, I would jump on this in a heartbeat. It's one thing to call someone a "PFT Whore" on an internet website... it's a bit different to call them that to their face.

You people are freaking dense. This is PFT/PFW. They fly this operation out of Houston and they are REQUIRED to have two pilots by their employers. Attitudes like this are the reason that pilots are making $17,000 a year to fly jets. Nobody is saying have Mommy and Daddy pay for it but don't be a little whore and go pay for a seat someone should be earning wages to fill.

Hey I gotta an idea agpilot, I know this great place where you can pay $35,000 and sit in the right seat of a B1900. If I wanted some 121 time quick, I would jump all over this deal. Quit screwing the rest of us and paying for a job.

PFT what?

agpilot34 said:
It's one thing to call someone a "PFT Whore" on an internet website... it's a bit different to call them that to their face.

When and where did I say that? And calm down tough guy....deep breaths!

ePilot22 said:
I think (my feeling here) that the difference is when I buy my BE76, PA44 whatever multi time, I fly where and when I want. These guys here put you to WORK. You fly their schedule and their routes. Try taking their twin to XZY airport or something, I'll bet they won't let you. Are you "pay for training"? Not training, but you're paying to work hence PFW, just as bad as PFT! NO-GO!

Nowhere in that post do I see or read the words "PFT Whore"?

agpilot34 said:
You know, the majority of students don't have Mommy and Daddy to wipe their a$$es and fork out cash for training every time they wimper like some others do.

Hey Dad, I need some money so I can go pay to work!;)

agpilot34 said:
SO, how'd you build your multi time? $200 hamburger trips in a rented twin? Squeaking by for several years trying to build enough multi time for 135 IFR mins. by instructing?

Yes, yes and yes. It's called paying MY dues! If fact I just EARNED my MEI yesterday! And I WILL be instructing in it, thanks.:D

Oh, and I WORK for every dollar and minute of flight time, but I don't say that because YOU judge how people build their time.:rolleyes:

All I asked was if they paid to fly traffic.

But here ya go: http://www.keylimeair.com/sic.asp. Spend it wisely!

eP.

ePilot22 said:
Yes, yes and yes. It's called paying MY dues!
So where is it written that everyone has to build time in the same way?
ePilot22 said:
Oh, and I WORK for every dollar and minute of flight time, but I don't say that because YOU judge how people build their time.
Seems like you're the one doing the judging.

Latest resources

Back