Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Lrjtcaptain said:
AAL191 May of 1979 DC10 looses engine on takeoff at O'hare
Probably the one I remember the most. It was only about 4 months after I had taken my first commercial airplane flight when I was 10 years old. We went PDX-DEN-ORD-DEN-PDX on Continental. All of the legs were on 727s, except the ORD-DEN leg which was on a DC-10, and I thought it was the coolest. Kinda freaked me out when that one went in.

LAXSaabdude.

P.S. Donning my grammar cop hat here....in this case "looses" is actually pretty close to correct. The engine came "loose" from the wing, knocked the slat to the retracted position, causing a near stall condition on the left wing. Since the bus on the captain's shaker had failed from the loss of the left generator, and there was no shaker installed on the FO's side, there was no indication of a stall. Thus, the crew didn't know the severity of the situation, and may have been able to recover if they had lowered the angle of attack.

TACA International Airways - Boeing 737-300 - Lands without power after both engines flameout at FL300 on approach to New Orleans. The crew lands on a 6,000 x 125' grass levy.

Date:24 MAY 1988
Type:Boeing 737-3T0
Operator:TACA International Airlines
Year built:1988
Total airframe hrs: 81 hours
Engines:2 CFMI CFM56-3B1
Crew:0 fatalities / ? on board
Passengers:0 fatalities / ? on board
Total:0 fatalities / 45 on board
Airplane damage:Unknown
Phase:En route (ENR)
Nature:International Scheduled Passenger
Departure airport:Belize City-Philip S.W. Goldson International Airport (BZE)Destination airport:New Orleans International Airport, LA (MSY)
Narrative:
During descent from FL350 for an IFR arrival to New Orleans, the flight crew noted green and yellow returns on the weather radar with some isolated red cells, left and right of the intended flight path. Before entering clouds at FL300, the captain selected continuous engine ignition and activated engine anti-ice systems. The crew selected a route between the 2 cells, displayed as red on the weather radar. Heavy rain, hail and turbulence were encountered. At about FL165, both engines flamed out. The APU was started and aircraft electrical power was restored while descending through abou FL106. Attempts to wind-mill restart the engines were unsuccessful. Both engines lit-off by using starters, but neither would accelerate to idle; advancing the thrust levers increased the EGT beyond limits. The engines were shut down to avoid a catastrophic failure. An emergency landing was made on a 6060 feetx120 feet grass strip next to a levee without further damage to the aircraft.
Investigation revealed that the aircraft encountered a level 4 thunderstorm but engines flamed out, though they had met the FAA specs for water ingestion. The aircraft had minor hail damage; the #2 engine was damaged from overtemperature.

PROBABLE CAUSE: "A double engine flameout due to water ingestion which occurred as a result of an inflight encounter with an area of very heavy rain and hail. A contributing cause of the incident was the inadequate design of the engines and the FAA water ingestion certification standards which did not reflect the waterfall rates that can be expected in moderate or higher intensity thunderstorms." Follow-up / safety actions:
After the incident, OMB 88-5 and AD 6-14-88 were issued to require minimum rpm of 45% and to restrict the use of autothrust in moderate/heavy precipitation; engine modification was provided for increased capacity of water ingestion.
Despite of this AD, a Continental Airlines B737-300 suffered a nr.1 engine flameout while descending through heavy precipitation with throttles at flight idle, July 26, 1988. The co-pilot warned the captain of the fact that idle descent was contrary to recently published procedures, but idle descent was continued.

Last edited:
LAXSaabdude said:
Probably the one I remember the most. It was only about 4 months after I had taken my first commercial airplane flight when I was 10 years old. We went PDX-DEN-ORD-DEN-PDX on Continental. All of the legs were on 727s, except the ORD-DEN leg which was on a DC-10, and I thought it was the coolest. Kinda freaked me out when that one went in.

LAXSaabdude.

P.S. Donning my grammar cop hat here....in this case "looses" is actually pretty close to correct. The engine came "loose" from the wing, knocked the slat to the retracted position, causing a near stall condition on the left wing. Since the bus on the captain's shaker had failed from the loss of the left generator, and there was no shaker installed on the FO's side, there was no indication of a stall. Thus, the crew didn't know the severity of the situation, and may have been able to recover if they had lowered the angle of attack.

Another freaky thing about this one (and correct me if I'm wrong) is the passengers watched themselves die. AA used to have a camera in the cockpit that showed an outside view. This camera was on during 191's takeoff. That had to have been just horrible.

ERfly said:
Another freaky thing about this one (and correct me if I'm wrong) is the passengers watched themselves die. AA used to have a camera in the cockpit that showed an outside view. This camera was on during 191's takeoff. That had to have been just horrible.
Did the pilots leave that on by accident?

Lrjtcaptain said:
Korean Airlines 401 crashes into a mountain in Guam because they descended below minimums in a 747 on a non precision approach. Kills everyone on board.
It was worse than that. They were shooting the ILS and the G/S was notam'ed OTS. At least that's the way I remember it...am I wrong?

Tram said:
I'd say Sept. 11 but it wasn't an "accident" it was purposeful..

Lockerbie maybe..

This maybe my next signature. Does anyone else see anything funny about this?

siucavflight said:
This maybe my next signature. Does anyone else see anything funny about this?
Funny? Maybe. Confused? Definitely.

Hugh Jorgan said:
It was worse than that. They were shooting the ILS and the G/S was notam'ed OTS. At least that's the way I remember it...am I wrong?

You may be correct and that is even worse........all i know is the accident reports stated they were flying a non precision so im assuming they were cleared for the Loc approach and couldn't figure out why they didn't get a GS reading......Oh well, lets just keep descending until we get it :)

Hugh Jorgan said:

I believe they also had their DME set on the VOR located at the top of the mountain they hit, not on the ILS as specified on the chart.

FN FAL said:
Did the pilots leave that on by accident?

They had it turned on. I don't think they planned on crashing. When the s*** hit the fan, I don't think they had time or even thought of turning it off.

Latest resources

Back