Most embarassing moment

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The Royal Order of the Waffleheads

As nearly everyone who has any time in the KC-135 has found out the hard way, the crew entry chute safety grating does not always latch when it is flipped up. The cranium prevents this heavy steel grate from hurting itself as it falls.

I went charging smartly up the ladder one day hoping to impress the VIP's on board with my hustle - flipped the grate up without stopping my vertical progress and met that sucker coming back down at mach 2. As I hung on the ladder by one hand, moaning and seeing stars, I realized that I did impress them with what a dork I was.

bluesky421 said:
Anyone walk into the wing on a cessna?
Oh, man, tell me about that. I still have the diamond tatoo on my forehead. I was over at another airport, doing an oil change, checking somethings over. The EGT wasn't working on one engine, and upon examination, the wire was loose. Got an assortment of nuts from the mech's tool box, walked back to my plane, focused on the assortment in my hand, walked into the wing. Litterally knocked me off my feet, big tear down my forehead, blood everywhere. Tried calling my wife, no answer I don't understand why she carries a cell phone. No first aid kit, ended up taping my forehead and nose with duct tape, flew the plane back to the airport it was kept at, drove home to the emergency room, and I'm waiting for them to sew me up, when my wife calls "Did you need anything?" Not now.

Swede said:
One of those "once every 5 years" bit of toilet pollution that carries on the breeze like a squirt of VX nerve agent. The cabin is polluted to a degree that defies description, with the entire aircraft load staring at the unfolding drama in total, amazed silence.

Yet I still see airline pilots at the hotel drinking like fish and chomping on a giant grease-burger with extra warm mayo.

I think I mighta posted here already, but the dumbest thing I've done is walk into the trailing edge of the flaps on a 172. That hurt...

Granted, with 140 hours, there isn't too much I could do...I'm sure worse will happen. :)

Calling on duty in my sleep was a nice one. I used to wake up on the phone thinking "Who am I talking to?". You know you need a break right around then.

Worse than walking into the cessna diamonds? Feathered turbo prop blades (at least three times and counting). Witness to these. Challenger shows up with Ozzie Osbourne and clan at FBO I worked at. Crew requests lav service and I'm unfamiliar with it so the boss comes down to show me. Hooks it up to the plane and all is good. Boss unhooks the tube when its finished. Tube cavitates and blows the blue juice all over his face. The Captain is standing there shaking his head.
We had a King Air 90 in the hangar for mx. A total tool I worked with asks what the horn looking thing that hangs out on the bottom of the tail is for. My boss (before the blue juice incident) tells him its how the mechanic talks to the cockpit during mx. This guy says "Oh really?" as he mates his lips to it and starts "talking to the cockpit".

bluesky421 said:
Anyone walk into the wing on a cessna?
Thankfully no; I did a little experiment the other day while I was waiting for my instructor, on a C175, my 'star' would range from upper throat to mid-lip....now that would hurt...

Yet another reason why I fly Beech and Piper...

Doing a preflight on the Saab 340, you had this little ring on the main gear door to pull so it would fall open. This way you could inspect the inside of the gear compartment and main gear. Well as I'm doing my preflight one day, the bus full of passengers pulls up, and I get somewhat distracted. Slide under the gear door, and pop the ring. Well it had rained overnight, and water had pooled in the door... the door fell open, and the water doused me right on my head and face. I fall back coughing and spitting out greasy water, with all the pax watching from the bus. I quickly finished my preflight and hid in the cockpit for the rest of the flight.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back