Most Challenging Regional Aircraft??

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Palerider957 said:
E-120, that mean spirited bitch demands every bit of your attention. ASA has the wreckege to prove it.

I agree. But I wouldn't say it was hard to fly when everything was working. It was just not forgiving when something went wrong.

It was definately one of the most complicated TP's out there systems wise if not the most. Flaps, electrical, hydraulic were way over built and complex.

LJDRVR said:
Why do you blame the Brasilia for negligence on the part of Hamilton Standard? Their inspectors missed a fatigue crack due to inadequate and ineffective corporate inspection and repair techniques, training, documentation and training. They also contributed to the accident by failing to require recurrent on-wing ultrasonic inspections for the affected propellers.

Don't forget the BQK accident, also prop related if I understand correctly.

I don't blame Embraer for the prop, but the plane as a whole was very challenging. Of course the old guard at ASA made the E-120 program more of an initiation than training....remember diagramming the prop function, or electrical system for John Goodson?

The dam.n thing was otherwise nearly bullet proof.....had to love those ATL summers, cookin your stones off up front.

Having flown both the JetPig and the E120 -- my vote goes to the Jetstream 31 -- especially the original, before the flap travel was limited. A good landing in that thing was just sheer dumb luck; and the rest of every flight was just plain work.

On the other hand, if I'm going to crash something, let it be a Jetstream. They're skookum-built (as they say) -- as opposed to the Carioca Coffin.

Ah those were the days...

I'd love to fly an E120 just one more time. Not for a job though, I'll stick with the 717 for that. I'll forever have a E120 sticker on my flight bag. Kind of like a "red badge of courage".

81Horse said:
Having flown both the JetPig and the E120 -- my vote goes to the Jetstream 31 -- especially the original, before the flap travel was limited. A good landing in that thing was just sheer dumb luck; and the rest of every flight was just plain work.

On the other hand, if I'm going to crash something, let it be a Jetstream. They're skookum-built (as they say) -- as opposed to the Carioca Coffin.

Did a junkstream ever have a mid air that took off half the horiz. stab. and land safely? An ASA 120 did. Very well built.

The bad rep the 120 got was from prop, and prop control system, both made by Ham Standard I believe, that caused the most well know accidents on the 120.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back