Most Challenging Regional Aircraft??

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Palerider957 said:
I don't blame Embraer for the prop, but the plane as a whole was very challenging. Of course the old guard at ASA made the E-120 program more of an initiation than training....remember diagramming the prop function, or electrical system for John Goodson?

The dam.n thing was otherwise nearly bullet proof.....had to love those ATL summers, cookin your stones off up front.

I remember on 120 Upgrade class written test's he'd take off points for not having comma's and apostraphies in the right place. Ahhh, what fun.

I vote the saab. tho i haven't flown any other turbo props. but mainly i vote the saab cuz it is heavy on the controls with no hydraulic assistance.

ceo_of_the_sofa said:
A good trick I've learned on the Dash is to put one wheel down first. Makes up for the lack of trailing link :)

That's a nice trick, I see guys doing it in santo domingo. The trailing link on the Dash is almost similar to the Fokker 27, I can either grease it or slam it, flying it feels like driving a dump truck with no power steering, built like one too...

DGdaPilot said:
Is the J-Ball 41 as bad as the 31/32?

No, much easier to fly. Like a big seminole, counter rotating props and all. All be it with 1600 SHP a side.

check6 said:
Something about the ATR makes me think it would be hard to fly. Not sure though.

The Dash-8 is like a Cessna on steroids. Easy to fly, hard to land it the same way twice.

ATR flies like a big 172. Little challenging on strong xwind landings (25 kt plus), but that's about all.

Dash is nice in a crosswind. Use the wing down, and let the SOB hit. Got a huge rudder back there to keep it going straight.

I've hear horror stories about that little Limey Jetscream.

Funny thing about landing the Dash. I had a month where every landing was a greaser. Couldn't have made a bad one if I tried. The next month, every landing was crap. Opened the overheads a few times. My paycheck was the same as when I was making the good ones... Now I just don't give a frogs fat arse.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back