More Union Busting at NWA

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
FearlessFreep said:
Y'all voted for George Bush! What did you expect?
What did I expect? I expected Bush to let the 1994 Violent Crime and Law Enforcement Act sunset and he did. I got what I paid for.

Next time you lefties support a presidential candidate that gets on national TV and says, "I don't need an AK-47 to shoot ducks!" expect to lose the election AGAIN.

Politics

As you can see, I rarely post here, but I am curious how Gore or Kerry would have changed things. The laws are all in place, but somehow it is the evil George Bush that gets the finger here. What law did he enact or create during his time in office that made it worse? What law would Gore or Kerry have personally made to fix all the problems overnight? Who let Comair strike and who forced AA to return to work? Democrat or Republican whoever is in office nothing would have changed. Democrats try hard to show they walk the middle line(the day of the far left democrat is dead), while republicans do the same(while having to cater to the Christian Coalition(they just don't get it)). I do vote republican and my only extra tidbit to add would be the extra moaning from everyone when paycuts come and tax increases were added as well by Gore, Kerry, or both.

Bottom line is we need to stick together in this tough time offer support, unity, not finger pointing. It does no good.

While everyone is worrying about the problem, managements are forcing their solutions on their workgroups.

Indy319FA said:
All you Republican bashers might want to check your facts on NWA. Both Al Checchi and Wilson are Democrats, in fact Al Checci ran for the Democratic nomination for Governor of California against Grayout Davis. NWA's top lobbyist in DC just happens to be the wife of former Senator Tom Daschle of South Dakota (she was working for NWA while he was majority leader as well). Also when Clinton had his big BBQ fundraiser a few years back (the one where Robin Williams made butt out of himself) the two big corporate sponsors were NWA and Delta. ......

Say it isn't so. The democrats are always for the poor little union worker. Aren't they?
Perhaps it's no coincidence Clinton let NWA strike under his watch but not AA?
It's all part of the vast left wing conspiracy. Hmmmm....

dashocho said:
As you can see, I rarely post here, but I am curious how Gore or Kerry would have changed things. The laws are all in place, but somehow it is the evil George Bush that gets the finger here. What law did he enact or create during his time in office that made it worse? What law would Gore or Kerry have personally made to fix all the problems overnight? Who let Comair strike and who forced AA to return to work? Democrat or Republican whoever is in office nothing would have changed. Democrats try hard to show they walk the middle line(the day of the far left democrat is dead), while republicans do the same(while having to cater to the Christian Coalition(they just don't get it)). I do vote republican and my only extra tidbit to add would be the extra moaning from everyone when paycuts come and tax increases were added as well by Gore, Kerry, or both.

Bottom line is we need to stick together in this tough time offer support, unity, not finger pointing. It does no good.

While everyone is worrying about the problem, managements are forcing their solutions on their workgroups.
The Office of Independent Council Report of 1987 proves that both sides are corrupt as organized crime can get, but when someone proposes a "rights for jobs" campaign...duhhhhh!

Kerry would have sold rights of the people for jobs at the airlines? A flawed analogy for sure.

And no daschocho...I'm not jumping on you...I'm agreeing with you.

A president that runs on the premise of ensuring rights are going to be curtailed is not the president for this country, pro labor or not.

And if you don't think the Second Amendment isn't an important right in the scope of labor v. jobs, take a look at the Matewan Masacre and the use of the Black Legion by Dupont and General Motors in an effort to quash unions and people fighting for workers rights.

Any predictions on what the rest of NWA's unions will do? I would imagine there must be some serious strike talk going down at the AFA right?

Last edited:
mdanno808 said:
Any predictions on what the rest of NWA's unions will do? I would imagine there must be some serious strike talk going down at the AFA right?

It's actually the PFAA, and considering that unit is about to loose ALL of the International flying to Asian nationals for 8 bucks an hour and no benefits, you would think that the senior girls would probably be ready to quit anyway so why not strike? They would just be ordered back to work by the BK judge, but why not stick it in and break it off before you leave?

Clinton did force the AA pilots back to work. But Bush had not appointed any new members to the NMB when the Comair strike occured. The people he has appointed to the NMB are very anti labor. In a job were you need a neutral party to over see negotiations we have some one very biased towards the companies position.

This has hurt all transportation unions!!! If you do some research the people that Bush has appointed to the NMB do not have the best qualifications for this position. Much like the person he put in charge of FEMA. It is time that these positions are filled with professionals and not people that are being rewarded for political favors.

Spooky 1 said:
Wrong again!

Maybe you'd care to expand on this? While there are Americans working on Amercian merchant ships, the percentage of cargo that is imported/exported on American flagged/crewed ships slipped to under 7% a few years ago. Most of the merchant marine these days falls into two categories 1) military cargoes-military sealift command MSC or 2) Jones Act shipping, that is shipping that is protected by cabotage laws, shipping from US port to US port.

While I admire some of the independence from the Karl Rove school of thought and pluck that John McCain has exhibited, he'd like to impose user fees on general aviation and do away with the Jones Act. That would essentially kill off the rest of the US Merchant Marine and then it'd affect our business. Want China Airlines flying folks from LA to New York? Most every country has cabotage laws, why should we fall on our sword and let our transportation industries go down in our home markets.

Latest resources

Back