• NC Software is having a Black Friday Sale Event thru December 4th on Logbook Pro, APDL - Airline Pilot Logbook, Cirrus Elite Binders, and more. Use coupon code BF2020 at checkout to redeem 15% off your purchase. Click here to shop now.
  • NC Software is proud to announce the release of APDL - Airline Pilot Logbook version 10.0. Click here to view APDL on the Apple App store and install now.

More Union Busting at NWA

mdanno808

Maika'i Card Member
Total Time
Northwest reportedly plans flight attendant outsourcing

[font=Trebuchet MS, Verdana][size=-2][font=Trebuchet MS, Verdana]By Martin J. Moylan
St. Paul Pioneer Press
[/font]

[/size][/font]
RELATED NEWS FROM THE WEB

Latest headlines by topic:

Transportation
Airlines
Life
Outsourcing
Food
Northwest Airlines
Recipes
</SPAN>Powered by Topix.net

[font=Times New Roman, Times, serif][size=-1]

ST. PAUL, Minn. — Northwest Airlines, flying while in bankruptcy, wants to position itself to outsource all flight attendant jobs on international flights, as well as all attendant jobs on planes with 100 or fewer seats.

[/size][/font][font=Times New Roman, Times, serif][size=-1]That's the word from the flight attendants' union, which Northwest is leaning on for $195 million in annual wage and other givebacks.

[/size][/font][font=Times New Roman, Times, serif][size=-1]Northwest's outsourcing proposal could eliminate the jobs of thousands of the carrier's 9,800 flight attendants, said Bob Krabbe, assistant contract administrator for the Professional Flight Attendants Association. Many jobs could go overseas to lower-paid foreigners.

[/size][/font][font=Times New Roman, Times, serif][size=-1]"We'll fight this vigorously," he said.

[/size][/font][font=Times New Roman, Times, serif][size=-1]Northwest would not discuss the union's account of the airline's plans, saying it does not comment on contract negotiations.

[/size][/font][font=Times New Roman, Times, serif][size=-1]Currently, Northwest has about 500 flight attendants who are foreign nationals based in Asia. Those attendants are limited to flying south and west of Tokyo, said Krabbe.

[/size][/font][font=Times New Roman, Times, serif][size=-1]Hiring lower-paid foreign flight attendants could fit with Northwest's drive to cut costs.

[/size][/font][font=Times New Roman, Times, serif][size=-1]The airline, which has lost about $3 billion on its operations since the start of 2001, is seeking $1.4 billion in givebacks from its employees.

[/size][/font][font=Times New Roman, Times, serif][size=-1]Northwest flight attendants earn from $19,500 to $48,000 a year, depending on experience. The airline wants to cut their pay by as much as 22 percent. But it's expected that Northwest will soon raise that target.

[/size][/font][font=Times New Roman, Times, serif][size=-1]If the airline doesn't get the concessions it wants at the bargaining table, it can ask the judge overseeing its Chapter 11 bankruptcy to impose new contracts.

[/size][/font][font=Times New Roman, Times, serif][size=-1]Airline records indicate that Northwest's international operations provided about one-third of its passenger revenue — $2.8 billion — in 2004. That's a similar ratio as American, United and Continental airlines. Last year, Northwest's international service accounted for 42 percent of its revenue passenger miles. Revenue passenger miles are the number of miles an airline flies paying passengers.

[/size][/font][font=Times New Roman, Times, serif][size=-1]Outsourcing of aircraft maintenance work has been a trend in the airline industry. It was a major flashpoint in the confrontation between Northwest and its mechanics, who struck the airline Aug. 19. The mechanics' walkout continues, and Northwest is servicing its planes with a mix of replacement workers, outside vendors and managers licensed as aircraft mechanics.

[/size][/font][font=Times New Roman, Times, serif][size=-1]But outsourcing most or all flight attendant jobs on international flights would be an industry first, said Vaughn Cordle, chief analyst with Airline Forecasts, an independent research firm, and a pilot with a major airline.

[/size][/font][font=Times New Roman, Times, serif][size=-1]"No major U.S. airline is doing that," he said.

[/size][/font][font=Times New Roman, Times, serif][size=-1]The PFAA's Krabbe concurs.

[/size][/font][font=Times New Roman, Times, serif][size=-1]"They keep comparing us to United," he said of Northwest management. "But this has never been an issue at United. There's no need for the company to do this to survive. I think they're after the cheapest people they can find."

[/size][/font][font=Times New Roman, Times, serif][size=-1]United, which also is in bankruptcy, this past spring outsourced 50 telephone reservation jobs to India as it looked to trim costs. It already had sent 200 call center jobs to Nova Scotia.

[/size][/font]

mnboyev

Total Time
Is it true the cops kicked the picketeers off the airport property ? WTFO ? My buddy said they were gettin a little edgy and threatening. Well... NO crap.

Flash

Total Time
Maybe they should outsource the management that got them in the position they are now in!

General Lee

Total Time
A lot
Wow, I bet the AFA is browning their pants right now....

Bye Bye--General Lee

Chronic Jetlag

I'm great at sleep'n in
Total Time
SexyTm
This is just the beginning. Cabotage of cargo has already ocurred out of ANC. Putting America on sale has been going on quietly for years. I would not be surprised at all if one day soon they'll try and outsource pilots. If NWA management gets their way, more than HALF of all FAs at NW will be gone. Disgusting!!!

densoo

Total Time
yes
Northwest Airlines, flying while in bankruptcy, wants to position itself to outsource all flight attendant jobs on international flights, as well as all attendant jobs on planes with 100 or fewer seats.
This is so outrageous that it seemed initially like a spoofed newstory from The Onion.

COpilot

Total Time
Has anyone seen what happened to the Merchant Marine in this country? There are no Americans that I know of crewing all those large ships in our harbors.

MECH

Total Time
8500+
To Nova Scotia, the min wage up there 8.00 plus. They also have to match more money for Canada pension then they do for Social Security. It is all about busting all organize labor. That has been the goal of some the political appointees at the NMB for a while. One of them was a lobbiest for NWA before her appointment to the NMB.

Total Time
7000+
Gotta love the Republicans! Bust those unions!

Av8rPHX

The Dude abides...
Total Time
enough
Is it true the cops kicked the picketeers off the airport property ? WTFO ? My buddy said they were gettin a little edgy and threatening. Well... NO shoot.

As far as I know they havent kicked them out of MSP. The only place they have been removed from is Airport Lane when a hundred or so blocked the road to the mx hangar to prevent the scabs from getting to work. A few mx were arrested after that.

klhoard

Total Time
32000+
Is there any word on how many scab mechanics are signing up for permanent jobs at NWA??

iflyhigh

Total Time
Outsourcing F/A jobs to the lowest bidder, no matter what country will only work, till NWA has an accident or incident and the domestic American customer can not understand them and they don't get people out. ( I am not wishing this upon them.) This will create alot of press and investigation.

Is Skeenland a minature Lorenzo or what?????

I know that legacy have to find away to cut costs, but an F/A already makes about what an average person makes at McDonalds. How much lower are they going to go. They already qualify for food stamps.

This is going to get real interesting.

320AV8R

DUMP ALPA
Total Time
2 much
Basically, another happy day.

320AV8R

Last edited:

Spooky 1

Total Time
Some
COpilot said:
Has anyone seen what happened to the Merchant Marine in this country? There are no Americans that I know of crewing all those large ships in our harbors.

Wrong again!

ironspud

Total Time
>20000
densoo said:
This is so outrageous that it seemed initially like a spoofed newstory from The Onion.[/font]

Maybe. But ya gotta admit - the quality of in-flight service will drastically improve...and that's a good thing.

DHPFLYN

Total Time
I have seen ad's in the Houston paper from NWA looking for FA's. That whole thing makes me sick. I just flew out of MSP last week. It was pathetic to see those scabs in the yellow school bus. I saw them driving in and getting dropped off just outside the Hangar. Watching them hiding their faces as they go through the parking lots. I wish those guys on strike all the BEST !!! I was on strike for about a month when driving for UPS. I know how they feel but I have to say atleast our pilots supported us and walked out also. Kind of makes a big difference when the company gets totally shut down.

Good luck too everyone at NWA

AnimalTale

Total Time
mucho
iflyhigh said:
Is Skeenland a minature Lorenzo or what?????

He worked under Lorenzo back in the heyday, as did Richard Anderson.
I think STEENLAND could be more evil than Lorenzo, especially now that he sees the unions dont back each other up. Doesnt WORTHLESS sit side by side with STEENLAND on a congressional hearing? Makes me sick!

cya

infoman

Total Time
To All,

I just finished watching a documentary on the Discovery channel about terroist. One interesting point struck like a hammer. Woman are accepted into the ranks of suicide bombers.
If NWA is truely going to hand over the keys of the flight deck, and security procedures to foregin empolyee because of cost savings....I am sure they will complete a backround check with equal care.
Someone,anyone....please tell me this is not true!
What is next? Outsourcing nuclear power plant controls to N Korean engineers, because they work for less! I am sure with computers. It could be accomplished.

I usally don't hit on politicial issues, and I am not the alarmist type,but this stinks to high heaven.

Have a Happy
infoman.

ultrarunner

Total Time
You CAN and WILL be replaced.

I would be surprised if there are any union chest-thumpers out there that actually BELIEVE their organization gives them job security.

Unions had their day....they scored great in the good times, and they'll crash-and burn in the bad times.

What goes around, comes around.

infoman

Total Time
Ultra,

If you read what I posted. You would discover I was asking about SECURITY. America's economy has a hard enough time dealing with mother nature let alone terroist attacks. I am sure Al Kaida would be happy to fly all our jets, as well as, any high security job we can outsource. Hell why not just dispose of all those pesk spent nuclear fuel rods from our power plants to the terroist. I am sure the can find ingenious ways to dispose of them. Hell anyway too turn a buck.

I will ask the question again. Does this form of outsourcing jepordize security?

Have a Happy!
infoman