• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

More signs the ATR is going away.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Yet another pilot with a head too big for himself. You ever happen to look in the ramp, FA or ops areas around the airport? Guess what? They have all those D-0 posters all over the place too!! Your sense of reality is a bit skewed.

I would politely suggest that you and your own personal 'sense of reality' should commence an act of anatomical impossibility. Nah, I take it back: I won't be polite.

Pilots generally display a 'type A' personality as a group. It is this personality that greatly assists any success that we've had with getting flights out on time. It is this personality trait that is making the operation work, not a three color poster tacked to the wall in the various lounges.
Don't get me wrong, I do believe that it is a team concept that gets planes moving. Clearly, no flights would leave without the efforts of several groups at KATL. That being said, D-0 was clearly aimed at the pilots in an effort to improve our operational statistics. Fine, we'll do our part, but the true challenges on the ramp for ASA/Delta can not be solved from the cockpit.
Get us power carts that work, and, have hot or cold air as the situation warrants. Hire, train, and retain quality people to accomplish the tasks of ground servicing, from rampers, to fuel, to blue juice. Have some sort of a semblance of a professional air transportation environment for our customers. (The new gates on C are great. I live on D. I watched a lady walk up a swinging gate ramp and wait for nearly 10 minutes for her flight, an ATR flight, before she was discovered by a ramper.)
The ONLY change I've seen from the ramp folks is to take even longer to park us because they have to delay marshalling every single flight to the gate for a 'huddle' to discuss the same thing they've already done several times that day. If Delta would pay for and get the right folks to do this job, they would require less supervision, be more effective, and ultimatetly, more efficient.

I don't think CFI has an over inflated sense of his worth, but I believe we as pilots (and management knows this) that if you are going to entrust one employee group on the front lines to coordinate things, the pilots are a logical choice.

From my seat in the cockpit, I can see if the passengers are boarding. I can see if the fueler is hooked up to the airplane. I can see if the cargo door is open and baggage being loaded. I can see if the MX is squared away.

Looking at all of the front line groups, the Gate Agents are busy pulling tickets upstairs and can't see the whole picture. The Flight Attendants are busy greeting passengers, and can't see the whole picture. The Rampers are busy loading baggage, and can't see the whole picture. The Dispatchers, especially the SKW ones, are too busy posting on Flightinfo, and can't see the whole picture. (I know, there will be hell to pay for that one ;) )

Brad was smart in my opinion. He knew what front line group would do the most for him in the case of correcting ASA's poor past performance.

PS It takes every single employee group working in unison to make these flights operate safely and ontime. Nobody is more important than another, but we make a good IAPS (systems knowledge alert :nuts: ) for the operation.

Last edited:
Yet another pilot with a head too big for himself. You ever happen to look in the ramp, FA or ops areas around the airport? Guess what? They have all those D-0 posters all over the place too!! Your sense of reality is a bit skewed.

What an idiot. This post didn't even make any sense. Hey, they have a cubicle waiting for you up on the 8th floor.

I would politely suggest that you and your own personal 'sense of reality' should commence an act of anatomical impossibility. Nah, I take it back: I won't be polite.

Pilots generally display a 'type A' personality as a group. It is this personality that greatly assists any success that we've had with getting flights out on time. It is this personality trait that is making the operation work, not a three color poster tacked to the wall in the various lounges.
Don't get me wrong, I do believe that it is a team concept that gets planes moving. Clearly, no flights would leave without the efforts of several groups at KATL. That being said, D-0 was clearly aimed at the pilots in an effort to improve our operational statistics. Fine, we'll do our part, but the true challenges on the ramp for ASA/Delta can not be solved from the cockpit.
Get us power carts that work, and, have hot or cold air as the situation warrants. Hire, train, and retain quality people to accomplish the tasks of ground servicing, from rampers, to fuel, to blue juice. Have some sort of a semblance of a professional air transportation environment for our customers. (The new gates on C are great. I live on D. I watched a lady walk up a swinging gate ramp and wait for nearly 10 minutes for her flight, an ATR flight, before she was discovered by a ramper.)
The ONLY change I've seen from the ramp folks is to take even longer to park us because they have to delay marshalling every single flight to the gate for a 'huddle' to discuss the same thing they've already done several times that day. If Delta would pay for and get the right folks to do this job, they would require less supervision, be more effective, and ultimatetly, more efficient.

I agree with this post 100%. Forgive me if I insulted you before, but there are just too many uninformed pilots out there who will quickly shout out their opinion on a matter without trying to figure out why the matter is happening in the first place. A prime example of this at ASA is "why can't we have pure lines anymore?". I hear that complaint every week it seems.

Called BM about that. He informed me it was just an extra prelim. There will be another prelim out with 200 capt vacancies next month.

What the heck do we need more 200 Capts for? There are about 130 reserves for 340 or so lines! One reserve for every three line holders? A bit excessive, huh?

What the heck do we need more 200 Capts for? There are about 130 reserves for 340 or so lines! One reserve for every three line holders? A bit excessive, huh?

Well, people are leaving for other airlines. And most 200 Capt reserves have flown 80+ hours this month. Some have credited over 100 hours already.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back