• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

More signs the ATR is going away.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
....then why didn't we get Horizon rates on the 700?....

Um, because it's never wise to price yourself out of the game? Unwise to make yourself a target by topping the industry? The best job security is to be competitive?

Weren't these your lines during negotiations? Either you're fishing or have Alzheimer's.

Called BM about that. He informed me it was just an extra prelim. There will be another prelim out with 200 capt vacancies next month.

Well, for one, pilots have very little control over the success (or lack thereof) of a given company.

Disagree. The modicum of success that ASA currently has is due to pilots going above and beyond the call of duty. D-0 ring a bell? Distilled, D-0 is simply an articulation of the premise that pilots are responsible for the management of the ground servicing operation. Don't have a release? The pilot has to go get it. Don't have fuel? Catering? Cleaning? Passenger? The pilot is responsible for making sure these things happen.

Disagree. The modicum of success that ASA currently has is due to pilots going above and beyond the call of duty. D-0 ring a bell? Distilled, D-0 is simply an articulation of the premise that pilots are responsible for the management of the ground servicing operation. Don't have a release? The pilot has to go get it. Don't have fuel? Catering? Cleaning? Passenger? The pilot is responsible for making sure these things happen.

Which goes right back to my premise that management is shifting their responsibility for running a quality operation to us, the pilots... again.

Which goes right back to my premise that management is shifting their responsibility for running a quality operation to us, the pilots... again.

Looking at the front line operations, most, if not all pilots are Type A personalities who are goal or task oriented. It's easy for us to want to fix problems and make things run they way they should. Plus it doesn't hurt to tie some of our pay into our performance. Another incentive for us to fix mistakes when we see them.

How is the staffing on the ATR? I thought it was overstaffed, but there is 150% open time available now?

I agree with you. Look at our performance numbers lately. Yes, D-0 helps alot, because it puts the responsibility on the pilots, and more importantly, takes it away from the gate agents.

Another correlation that hasn't gone unnoticed by myself is that the contract has been signed. What used to be "Do your job only" and "Make only one call" has been replaced by an attitude of "let's make this place right."

You may not agree with that attitude, but happy employees work harder. It may cost the company more when paychecks are compared, but an efficiently run operation will make that difference back and more eventually.

Looking at the front line operations, most, if not all pilots are Type A personalities who are goal or task oriented. It's easy for us to want to fix problems and make things run they way they should. Plus it doesn't hurt to tie some of our pay into our performance. Another incentive for us to fix mistakes when we see them.

Exactly. And they exploit that tendency to make us do their dirty work. More work for the same pay.

How is the staffing on the ATR? I thought it was overstaffed, but there is 150% open time available now?

I don't get that either. We're way overstaffed with 50 pilots per seat for 34 lines. In fact, I looked in AT7 CA open time and there's only one open trip during that period. I emailed that David Blodgett guy and asked him WTF. We'll see.

Exactly. And they exploit that tendency to make us do their dirty work. More work for the same pay.
If doing the "GO's dirty work" gets me to my overnight on time or early, gets me off work on the last day on time or early and gets me the LITTLE extra perf. bonus; sign me up.

Yet another pilot with a head too big for himself. You ever happen to look in the ramp, FA or ops areas around the airport? Guess what? They have all those D-0 posters all over the place too!! Your sense of reality is a bit skewed.

Latest resources

Back