• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

More signs the ATR is going away.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The way they did it on the Brasilia was not to officially seat lock anyone, but rather, just not let anyone off (bypass). That covered all the FOs since FOs can be legally bypassed indefinitely, as long as they're paid the higher rate. Since Captains can't be bypassed, they awarded them positions, but never sent them to training. This eventually led to a grievance because they were sending people not on the Brasilia (jet FOs upgrading for example) to class before the Brasilia Captains holding an award. They are required to send everyone from a previous award before they send anyone from a later award.

ASA eventually settled, but it bought them the 3-6 months they needed to retire the airplane and still have pilots. "Fly now, grieve later" is a great thing if you're in management. Expect to see it happen again.

That explains it. However, I wonder if the new contract language regarding ATR FOs will allow them to do that. As I understand it, 10% of eligible FOs must be given their award and can't be bypassed. That being the case, we've seen that they are just delaying class dates for those awards. However, if they must send everyone on a previous award to class before they move to the later awards, wouldn't that logjam transition training?

"More signs the ATR is going away."

Was there not a memo about this a couple months ago that spelled out there departure or did I just dream that up?
Q: Will the ATR fleet retire from ASA’s fleet in 2008?​
A: The ATRs are scheduled to start leaving our fleet in the fall of 2008 – like everything else, this
could change but right now it looks like the ATR will be phased out by the end of 2008.
Considering that we don’t currently have a plan to replace the ATR with new aircraft, it is up to us
to win new work. This may sound like a broken record but the fact is that we must prove that we
are the best choice for new work. That means that in the months to come we must prove to our
partners and the world, through our performance and efficiencies, that we are a quality carrier​
and that we are the only logical choice.

A: The ATRs are scheduled to start leaving our fleet in the fall of 2008 – like everything else, this
could change but right now it looks like the ATR will be phased out by the end of 2008.
Considering that we don’t currently have a plan to replace the ATR with new aircraft, it is up to us
to win new work. This may sound like a broken record but the fact is that we must prove that we
are the best choice for new work. That means that in the months to come we must prove to our
partners and the world, through our performance and efficiencies, that we are a quality carrier

What a crap answer. Once again, management shifting their responsibility to find growth to us, the pilots, and setting us up to be the excuse for their failure to perform this task. Did this come from Scott Hall?

What a crap answer. Once again, management shifting their responsibility to find growth to us, the pilots, and setting us up to be the excuse for their failure to perform this task. Did this come from Scott Hall?
Nope this one was from Brad H. Q&A on OurASA.

partners and the world, through our performance and efficiencies, that we are a quality carrier
and if they don't we will execute Mountain Meadows Massacre plan 3B(f) part1 on them, we already sued them for $25,000,000 over our flight cancellations - so they better not screw with us on future contract awards! With 11 Delta Connection and NorthWest Airlink carriers and too much contracted capacity they'll see that we are the only logical choice.

Last edited:
Potato, potAto...

I thought ASA flew what SkyWest signed contracts to provide.

Hey, I like the ATR's and wish there were more of them flown by ASA pilots. But the contracting arm of the SkyWest operation currently holds a switchblade.

Even if the suit has merit (which it might/might not) it is a dumb move in the current environment. The dispute is chump change, but could not be more poorly timed.

Last edited:
Potato, potAto...

I thought ASA flew what SkyWest signed contracts to provide.

Hey, I like the ATR's and wish there were more of them flown by ASA pilots. But the contracting arm of the SkyWest operation currently holds a switchblade.

Even if the suit has merit (which it might/might not) it is a dumb move in the current environment. The dispute is chump change, but could not be more poorly timed.

I really don't think the lawsuit is a big deal, and amounts to a hill of beans in terms of Delta awarding SkyWest Inc future flying.

SkyWest says Delta owes them $25m. Delta says they don't. A lawsuit or arbitration is the accepted way to handle such disputes. This is nothing more than a business contract dispute, and is a fairly standard way to dispose of one. I really don't see the bad blood so many people seem to think this will cause.

Latest resources

Back