• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

More CR7's for American Eagle

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
22 airplanes which will only begin to arrive mid to late next year. 70+ pilots furloughed. No net gain in airplanes.. just replacing some of the saabs and erjs in the desert. Probably not for at least a year or two.

Its going to take more than 70 pilots to man 22 new planes.

What is all this talk about Eagle? This is an ASA board! Get your own! Wait, you guys have your own board, right?

No because this is a net gain for AA as well. They will gain flying out of all bases. In addition the new "flying" will serve cities such as MIA-TYS and ORD-DAY. Routes in which none of the mainline equipment really works. However routes that will provide feed into the hubs for the Mainline planes to fill up..... Unlike the true replacement of RAH and the PHL-DFW, PHL-IAH and routes such as those that are too long for a regional aircraft.

No, because my point is that anything over 50 seats should be mainline, period.

I guess that it's a little too late for that now.

No, because my point is that anything over 50 seats should be mainline, period.

I guess that it's a little too late for that now.

You are completely wrong!! Anything over 0 seats should be mainline, period! But no, oh the humanity if the dorks coming out of the military with their guaranteed mainline job had to fly an aircraft with less than 100 seats at regional pay for 3 to 5 years. They are too good for that, thus we have the regional carriers for civilian pilots who are just scraping by, and the mainline jobs are reserved for the military pilots with the gaps at mainline being filled in by us 2nd rate civilian guys. If anyone doesn't think this is a huge part of the problem as to how we got to this point with regionals flying more and larger aircraft, then your head needs to be checked!

Mainline guys had the chance to fly regionals years and years ago and chose not to. They opened a door that can't be closed.

You are completely wrong!! Anything over 0 seats should be mainline, period! But no, oh the humanity if the dorks coming out of the military with their guaranteed mainline job had to fly an aircraft with less than 100 seats at regional pay for 3 to 5 years. They are too good for that, thus we have the regional carriers for civilian pilots who are just scraping by, and the mainline jobs are reserved for the military pilots with the gaps at mainline being filled in by us 2nd rate civilian guys. If anyone doesn't think this is a huge part of the problem as to how we got to this point with regionals flying more and larger aircraft, then your head needs to be checked!

Whoa there Skippy. I agree with your sentiment. However, there is a place for regional airlines. Perhaps the number is less than 50 but, it is definitely more than 0.

I disagree with your if/then statement. Regional carriers are not "for civilian pilots" as there are plenty of ex-military in the regionals. There are prima donnas in the military as well as the civilian world. The real problem has much more to do with the Wal Martization of the airline industry and weak kneed pilot unions. Also, this us vs them.civilian vs military attitude you has doesn't help solidarity one bit......something that the industry really needs.

Whoa there Skippy. I agree with your sentiment. However, there is a place for regional airlines. Perhaps the number is less than 50 but, it is definitely more than 0.

I disagree with your if/then statement. Regional carriers are not "for civilian pilots" as there are plenty of ex-military in the regionals. There are prima donnas in the military as well as the civilian world. The real problem has much more to do with the Wal Martization of the airline industry and weak kneed pilot unions. Also, this us vs them.civilian vs military attitude you has doesn't help solidarity one bit......something that the industry really needs.

This is more correct, and level headed.

Military not a factor any more....

Pipejockey,
I think your disdain for the military pilots is a little out of date as the paradigm has now changed. I think the military probably produces about a 1/3 to 1/2 less pilots than just a decade ago, look at all the types of planes that have been retired. Of those, many many more are Helo pilots compared to fixed wing of last decade. The military is even accelerating that transition with increased UAV usage. Of the fixed wing pilots, many do not get out until retirement age because of the way the industry has worked for the last decade, and of those, many have no wish to go to a "regional" job for just enough wages to cover the tax on their pension.
Bottom line, I don't think it's the military pilots that by and large take the $30K a year jobs and compete with the embry riddle and Comair academy grads. Most of the military pilots are older with families so this living in an RV in the LAX airport to fly planes is not a viable option. So in that vein, you are right, that if there was no opportunity for a fixed wing military pilot to hire into a position that was a least a livable wage within a few years, there would be no military presence in the airlines.

Latest resources

Back