Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

skywiz

For anyone who wants to take a shot...

I was wondering for future reference if there is a possibility that minimums might change for getting into the majors. For example, instead of 1000 hrs pic turbine, could it change to 1000 hrs pic turbine jet time?

Reason I ask is that with this recent explosion of the CRJ / ERJs and more "regional guys" getting experience with EFIS / Glass panels / jet time, would it hurt guys ex military guys who have pic time in C-130s, P-3s and E-2s?

If mins did change and majors required glass experience and jet time, are ex mil turboprop pilots supposed to go get nickel and dime wages at a regional prior to getting picked up at a major?

Military Turbo-prop time. . .

I doubt it.

What they're looking for is trainability. . . As a military pilot you're a "known quantity" no matter what you flew on active duty. . .

P-3/c-130

We find no difference in training Mil 100K+ TP pilots in the DC-9, hard to tell difference when compared to jet pilots out of B-52's, C-141, and KC-135's. In the hiring boom up to 2001, C-130/P-3 was as competitive as jet guys were. In fact down low a light wt P-3B was faster than a DC-9. But you have to watch out if some uninformed person in the HR dept makes a decision about the quality of the TP time. I applied at Midway Airlines back in 1996; they wanted those with 1000 hours of jet time only, so I never got a call. (Which may have been good, considering), but two years later I meet the Midway recruiter at an Air Inc job fair, I asked why they would not accept P-3/Electra flight time. He said they hired C-130 guys out of Pope. I explained my situation and his response was you should have called me. So if you get turned down go to someone who understands what the various airplanes do.

Last edited:
skywiz said:
If mins did change and majors required glass experience and jet time, are ex mil turboprop pilots supposed to go get nickel and dime wages at a regional prior to getting picked up at a major?
Excuse me, but what's that supposed to mean? Are you too good to fly an regional jet? Do you have some God given RIGHT to going straight to a major?

If you ever struggle to understand why civilian trained pilots sometimes look at you with disgust, I suggest that you look back at this conversation. We civilians DO understand that you guys are darn good pilots, well educated, proven, trainable, etc. I for one don't begrudge you anything, except your attitude.

Brother, I know too many military trained fighter pilots who started out their civilian career at the regional/commuter level to have any sympathy for you.

Why do I feel that I've been suckered and that this post was just flame bait?

enigma

Originally Posted by skywiz
"If mins did change and majors required glass experience and jet time, are ex mil turboprop pilots supposed to go get nickel and dime wages at a regional prior to getting picked up at a major?"

I am currently counting my nickels and dimes at a regional. In my class were 2 C-130 drivers, a Harrier driver, an F-14 driver, and myself a helo guy. The rest were very experienced civilian pilots, many coming from another regional. If you are lucky to go straight to a major, than good for you, but the times, they are a changin. Good luck.

Last edited:
Any quality (PIC) military time will help you out 100x times over the quality (PIC) civilian pilot. It could navy king air, C-130 or f-16. The big airlines SWA, FEDX, UPS will take more military pilots anyday. Just look at the numbers of current interviews at those airlines with military exp. vs. not.

Take the regional job

Any mil aviator who gets out and waits for a major to hire them could be waiting a long time. Being out of flying position for a long time makes it harder to get hired, this particuarily true in lean hiring times. So take any flying job you can get and start shopping. It takes a flying job to get a flying job. Recruitersgo, if you like to fly so much, how come you have not flown in the past year?

It sounded like to me that he would fly an RJ....he just wants to be paid respectably. 20K-25K first year is tuff.

NO, no difference

I think you would be better off to keep flying military. If you are separating and need a job, try and get a good reserve job somewhere and just fly for them until you can get the job you are looking for. I think maximizing your PIC time in the military will be much better than logging SIC at a regional. Plus you'll get paid a lot better. I don't see any reason why you couldn't go direct to your airline of choice.

Latest resources

Back