mil turboprop vs. civ jet experience

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
miles otoole said:
Even fighter pilots? Maybe I am missing something, but wouldn't a P-3, T-1, C-130, or C-141 dude be a bit more qualified to transition to a a major airline than a fighter dude?
Well, you'd think so. But. I've been around long enough to know that the zoomies are considered the best of the best. Besides, they didn't get the F14 because they finished LAST in their class, now did they?

regards,
enigma

In that they have experience working with a crew and the fighter guys work alone.

But if you go by your post, then an RJ pilot should get preference over any military guy because he knows the civilian system and has several years flying within the airline system, working with an airline crew, dealing with airline passengers, the airline mentality, airline ground crews, etc.

Why a purely military guy thinks flying a tanker around in circles should put him at the top of the airline list is just arrogant, and that's where a lot of the civilian vs. military argument comes from. So you can fly an F-16, that's great. But get over it. You're not in an F-16 now. You've got a boatload of families, grandmothers, and nervous fliers who don't need to pull three g's leaving the traffic pattern.

The key is diversity. I don't want to see any exclusivity on any sub-specialty. And that's what all aviation is, a series of subspecialties. Military, corporate, regional, charter; it's all part of the same thing.

Just remember, when you get called for an interview that means you're qualified for the job, otherwise they wouldn't have called you. It's what you do when you get there that matters.

Latest resources

Back