• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Midwest Captain Writes About BUF Colgan Crash

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I got f'd by contract carriers in my career too but I don't go publicly slamming dead fellow pilots before their accident gets fully investigated to make a personal point. BTW I'm not even slightly unsettled just amazed at how callus some are!

It's a free country. You can write a reply to Journal Sentinel. While Scott's message might have been delivered in the wrong way, his message is still right.

Last edited:
I'm sorry, but "would appear" and "might" don't get him off the hook for making these statements.

Let's call a spade a spade; he believes it was pilot error.

I personally disagree with having one's "beliefs" determine the cause of a crash. It seems that facts, alone, should determine the cause.

I personally disagree with having one's "beliefs" determine the cause of a crash. It seems that facts, alone, should determine the cause.

the ntsb determines the cause, not someone writing a letter to the editor. most people get that. some on here evidently do not.

baba booey

now that is funny!

OK CL truce, you laughed at my funny....

I've got a freedom of speech thing going on right now
(WHICH RANG A BELL WITH ME)
concerning me passing out house for sale fliers to
people looking at the house across the street with Realtors. Yes it's a little "bogus" of me to say welcome to the neighborhood would you like a flier? Maybe not in good taste, but I don't think it's against the law.... I better stop steering this thread... WALTER IS WATCHING!

Anybody read the editorial in the USA Today about how the FAA has lagged behind in safety issues, particularly icing? The article even went on to say that deicing boots on the mishap aircraft needed to be turned on earlier before the ice built up-- ahhhh, I don't think that's how boots work... Anyway, leave the expert stuff to experts to determine the cause of the crash.

IMHO, the F/O was from Horizon flying Dash 8s in her previous life, wasn't she?-- she had probably more actual icing experience in the -8 than the subject Midwest pilot did...

BTW, there are a few accidents in the recent past by major carriers that ended with little or no injuries that could've been catostraphic-- Continental 737 off runway at DIA, AAL 757 off end of runway in ORD hydraulic issue but landed on short runway; before XMAS another AAL MD-80 off icy runway at ORD, a few years back an A-340 off runway in Toronto landing with gross tailwind in TSTM to name a few.

Right. While three guys were trying to change a lightbulb, they ran out of fuel.

Sorry. You're not correct. The cause of the UAL DC-8 crash near PDX was caused by fuel exhaustion resulting in an off-airport landing. But it's not that simple.

The a/c ran out of fuel because the less-than-enlightened-to-CRM flight crew (specifically the F/O and F/E) failed to effectively assert themselves to the captain as to the dire state of the fuel level. FYI, the skipper of the plane was "waiting" to hear that the flight attendants had prepared the cabin for a possible gear collapse upon landing. He didn't pull his head out of his ass until the first of 4 engines flamed out.

For better, though, UAL began developing and using CLR (their version of CRM) as a result of these crew (in)actions. UAL has not suffered a single crew-caused fatality since this accident. (There but for the grace of God go I.)

Remember, our FAR's and procedures are all written in someone's blood.

SCR

I believe at a reunion, the CA (the united PDX one) was given an award by some of the survivors as helping them survive the crash.

Latest resources

Back