• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Midwest Captain Writes About BUF Colgan Crash

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Ask anyone on the street "hey, would you want to fly on a plane where the pilot was the lowest bidder?". My guess is the answer would be "fkuc no".

Personally, I'd be only too tickled to see all the regionals back as commuters flying Banderanties.

Nu

Nu,

The flying public has a short memory and they will forever be drawn to the lowest ticket price.

The sad fact is in some dark, sound proof, bug swept room, airline execs have done their own Wannsee conference and crunched the numbers on how many hull losses and dead bodies they can absorb and stay in business.

The cost benefit of bodies vs. salaries still favors regional outsourcing. Not to dismiss some of the very experienced crews that are there, but they are not the majority.

I cringe every time I have to DH on a regional, and won't let my wife and kids fly on them. I have written a resolution (voted down) to allow us to turn down a DH on a regional partner.

I do try and get my mother in law on them though:bomb:

I can see his resentment towards Midwest management, (all airline management for that matter), but his comments were a little too out of line, too soon. This accident is fresh in everyone's mind, and pissing on the thousands of regional folks that endure flying in the crap 8 legs a day is not how I'd handle my political agendas.

It's funny how pilots seem to forget where they came from as they progress throughout their careers. I guess some were just born with 10,000hrs of jet time. Maybe we've got it all wrong...maybe low timers should go to the autopilot/autolanding jets and the "experienced elite" should fly the more challenging turboprops.

We all know everyone starts somewhere, its not that simple. Maybe a pilot should gain some of that "oh $hit" experience, flying boxes, flight instructing, or doing some banner towing etc. Then when they have a thousand or two hours they go to a commuter and fly with a captain that has many thousands of hours in that left seat in addition to the thousand or two of "oh $hit" learning previously mentioned. That is the way it has always been. Even when the "I know a guy with 110 hours and is the best pilot ever" got hired at the mega airline, he/she was paired with a very seasoned left seater.
As it stands now you get the Academy graduate hired with 250 hours, upgrades as soon as he can hold an ATP and is immediately paired with the next 250 hour academy graduate. This is not smart no matter how talented said pilots are.

Sorry folks but the article though grossly generalized is accurate. (not the part of "knowing what happened") In my opinion it is out right fraud to sell a consumer a ticket on United Airlines (insert any legacy carrier here) and show up to find you are really flying on trans states (insert most, not all, regional carrier here.) Obviously the experience level on the legacy carrier is going to be hire for the most part. Yes I am aware there are exceptions to the rule. Also it is not just the pilots how about the experience level of the mechanics. The airlines should be required to inform the public exactly who they are buying transportation on.

PS before you spelling police jump in I know my spelling sucks.

3 pilots changing a light bulb......on approach

If you're referring to the EAL crash in the Everglades, they weren't "on approach". They were on extended vectors while troubleshooting their gear warning light.

You might want to read up on stuff before you post inaccuracies.

I can see his resentment towards Midwest management, (all airline management for that matter), but his comments were a little too out of line, too soon. This accident is fresh in everyone's mind, and pissing on the thousands of regional folks that endure flying in the crap 8 legs a day is not how I'd handle my political agendas.

It's funny how pilots seem to forget where they came from as they progress throughout their careers. I guess some were just born with 10,000hrs of jet time. Maybe we've got it all wrong...maybe low timers should go to the autopilot/autolanding jets and the "experienced elite" should fly the more challenging turboprops.
Judge slowly when assigning fault.

Airplanes/training have gotten better; so pilots don't have to be.

That means more pilots, less demand, less pay.

The upshot: my grandma could be flying a commercial jet in a few years. (and she passed several years ago)

Downside: If I go back to flying, my house will have wheels on it.

Solution: A national union embracing 19-500 pax airlines, with reasonable minimum pay regs. So substandard wages offer no competitive advantage among airlines.

Funny how Sully says basically the same thing but no one gets bent out of shape about his comments. Those of you get offended by Scott's letter are focusing on the wrong things. I think he expected pilots would be able to see through his intent at getting the public's attention through his use of recent events. I like to think that we are bright enough to realize that the public only reacts to the sensational.

Its an unprofessional response at an inappropriate time. Lets wait until the NTSB is finished with their investigation first of all.

If you're referring to the EAL crash in the Everglades, they weren't "on approach". They were on extended vectors while troubleshooting their gear warning light.

You might want to read up on stuff before you post inaccuracies.

Take your own advice.

UAL, Portland, 1978, DC-8

Latest resources

Back