• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Michael Roberts

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
If your going to go on CNN and and make a stand representing the pilot profession and the traveling public do not act like a complete tool.

He needed to be more eloquent and better prepared... we certainly could have been better served by better presentation... the underlying point is valid however.. being fully searched as a pilot is a complete waste of time.

Do you check your buddies ID, license, medical and passport when he sits on the jumpseat? Do you really think they just show up at some random metal detector and get to work without knowing who they are working with? They have briefings and specific assignments that might not be obvious to us, "smart pilots".

So you are implying that every single screener knows ALL the screeners at his/her particular airport? That's laughable. Screeners routinely walk through the security exit without the person at the podium even looking at them. Stand there and watch sometime, it's so ridiculous it's sad.

I don't disagree with his viewpoints toward how we are screened daily. Many of our fellow colleagues have gotten crossways with TSA and security, as we all have experienced less than enjoyable encounters with TSA. Most of us can agree that his viewpoints are valid.
But...I wouldn't doubt that he had possibly thought long and hard about this particular incident finally presenting itself long in advance. He made the point that his pay is less than ideal,...and he also made the point that he had a lot of mouths to feed. He is also an F/O in a beat down industry, where hiring, growth, and upgrade prospects have been slim to none the past several years. Thus,...and I'm only guessing, but I think he was probably considering giving up in this industry, and therefore felt he didn't have a lot to lose anyway. He made his statement,...now we'll see where this goes...

So you are implying that every single screener knows ALL the screeners at his/her particular airport? That's laughable. Screeners routinely walk through the security exit without the person at the podium even looking at them. Stand there and watch sometime, it's so ridiculous it's sad.

If you have a security or SIDA issue then you should report it.

I haven't been to Newark for awhile, do they still have a flag flying over gate A17 for flight 93?

I Agree with Him & Applaud his GUTS (a rarity in pilots these days)

http://jalopnik.com/5667976/pilot-w...ailed-against-tsa-for-months?skyline=true&s=i

Pilot Who Refused Full-Body Scan Railed Against TSA For Months

340x_tsa_1.jpg
"
ExpressJet pilot Michael Roberts' refusal of an airport full-body scan has drawn an outpouring of support among pilots. But it's a step Roberts has considered since July, when he railed against the Department of Homeland Security's "tyranny."
ExpressJet pilot Michael Roberts got into a standoff with security at Memphis airport on Friday when he refused to be screened using either the full-body scanners being rolled out at U.S. airports by the Transportation Security Administration or a frisking by TSA agents.
Roberts' stance has touched a nerve among other pilots - people used to being trusted with the safety of ferrying thousands of people. One Southwest Airlines captain urged his colleagues to take action as well:
Everybody else...don't let Michael stand alone on this. This affects all of us. On the one hand, it's ridiculous. What would I even DO with a weapon if I managed to get one on the plane? I already HAVE the plane?...And on the other hand, it's not only a violation of our rights, it's a big potential health risk. Seriously, do you want to go through an X-Ray machine three or four days a week for the next twenty odd years? Yeah, THAT's perfectly safe....
Until last Tuesday, I had never heard of a pilot being asked to go through the full body scanner. Then I was. I refused, and they were grumpy about it, but I just went through the metal detector, and that was it. Next day, Michael has this happen. How many days before the rules change, and we no longer have an option? How many months before they demand something more onerous...and all the abused hookers just go along with it? Where do you draw the line. I say here.
But Roberts' decision wasn't a spur of the moment call. Back in July, Roberts was already exercised over the prospect of not just scanning, but patdowns for pilots, telling members of a pilot's forum that "not only will I not hesitate to delay a flight, I may end up walking away from the job and air travel altogether if necessary." He also said "you'd have to have your head buried completely in the sand to believe that the Dept. of Homeland Security really gives two shiits (sic) about preventing terrorism."
I cannot consent to nor accept unwelcome physical contact any more than having images of my naked body being viewed by government personnel as a routine part of my daily commute to work. If I'm not under arrest or a suspect in some known threat to air transportation security, the feds have no grounds to invade my privacy and personal space in this way. It is an outrage beyond any measure of reason, an assault on liberty, a gross overreaching of the state, and a very significant step on the road back to the sort of tyranny many of our forbears and the founders of this society fought and often died to escape and abolish.
In August, after the Transportation Security Administration announced expanded security for pilots, Roberts wrote a letter to his bosses, which he attempted to get other pilots to sign as well. He also wrote to the Memphis Commercial Appeal last month, raising the "virtual strip search" term and questioning the qualifications of TSA agents:
Federal airport security guards are often unskilled, entry-level responders to help-wanted ads affixed to pizza boxes. Perhaps novice agents lack the perspective to grasp the full implications of their work. Forgive them, for they know not what they do. But please don't show them your naked body. Don't let these strangers put their hands on you or your children. Their abuse protects no one.
So far, there's no update on Roberts' status with ExpressJet.
Send an email to Justin Hyde, the author of this post, at [email protected]. "

Last edited:
Shut up and get in the damn machine you little sissies. Nobody wants to see your small wieners. They are looking for weapons and explosives that blow up babies and mommies. Everybody is subject to the screening; you are not special. Did they frisk you a little briskly? You poor little bitches...

Shut up and get in the damn machine you little sissies. Nobody wants to see your small wieners. They are looking for weapons and explosives that blow up babies and mommies. Everybody is subject to the screening; you are not special. Did they frisk you a little briskly? You poor little bitches...

I don't usually get down and dirty these days.. but I just want to be the first to tell you

GTFO.

You're not worthy to shine the bottom of a pilot's shoe you TSA flunky.

According to the news today, they are looking for money.

Latest resources

Back