Messaba CRJ

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
IF! I said if my math was right! :eek:

Okay, I guess I heard wrong, the most junior Captain would be Mar01 hire. Still, I think that if you switched seats, you'd miss the earliest upgrade.

This is moot, because we all know that as XJ and E9 pilots we will be FOs on NWA70 EMB170s inside of 2 years. (It's a FACT! Somebody who KNOWS told me!)

You're getting closer. The most junior (system wide) captain is from the Jan 01 class and was awarded on the last vacancy. The next vacancy will be awarded on 7/12. It may continue to go junior for a couple more classes then as Sept/Oct roll around it will probably swing back to more senior FOs taking those openings.

It will come down fast

The upgrade will come skyrocketing down soon. Starting in Sept-Oct we will be getting 3 CRJ's a month, which equals 15 people upgrading to the CRJ, which equals 15 people upgrading on the Saab. This is assuming that all the new CRJ captains come from the Saab (a few will come from the Avro). And heck if we get the next 20, which I can't see why not (XJ won't invest all this money for just 15), then the floodgates will remain open. Just hope the B model Saabs stay around (suppose too).

Chris

The reason upgrade times will drop so much is because of the nearly 2 years that we didn't hire anyone. When looking 1 number up the seniority list means a 2 year difference in date of hire that's a big change in upgrade time in the blink of an eye.

You are forgetting that there are 160+ FOs that have more than 4 1/2 years here and have been bypassing for the summer. While it's true upgrades will continue for some time don't expect them to go very far down the list for the first 15 CRJs. The next 20 are likely to come but until we see any of them with our name and sitting at our gates don't assume too much.

Last edited:
Very true. I don't see things remaining as junior as they are currently. But my point was at some point when the upgrades hit that part of the list then there will be an immediate 2 year reduction in wait time because there was a 2 year gap in hiring. Let's say that you were the one hired August 01 right before the cutoff. Let's then say I was one hired on July 03 (I'm not btw) If upgrades then come along for say 12 captains we could be sitting in the same class just a couple seniority numbers apart but a 2 year difference in date of hire. And following classes would all also be 2+ years junior to you even if they are right behind you in the seniority list. Are either of "us" in the example looking at an upgrade right now, nope. Will this happen if the second group of CRJ's show up right on the heels of the first batch? Maybe.
That is what I was talking about with upgrade times dropping 2 years. (unless we go through another 2 year freeze right at that point in upgrades)

Mesaba is staffed at a little less than a 1:1 captain to fo ratio. If mesaba hires 110 fo's from july to december wouldn't that equate to about 110 upgrades?

The ratio is generally a higher number of captains to FOs since captains have more accrued vacation time. You need more captains to cover the time off. (doesn't apply though when the company cancels vacations like they have been doing forever).

Last edited:
Yudso said:
If mesaba hires 110 fo's from july to december wouldn't that equate to about 110 upgrades?

No...that would equate to 55 upgrades. Everytime you add a captain you need to hire two more FO's because the new captain used to be an FO.

Has anyone else ever wondered where these airlines park these new planes? I mean Mesaba is scheduled to get 15 or 30 at MSP. I was just at MSP not to long ago and it seemed packed. Where the hell are they going to put these things?

Latest resources

Back