Messaba CRJ

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Chicagopilot22 said:
Has anyone else ever wondered where these airlines park these new planes? I mean Mesaba is scheduled to get 15 or 30 at MSP. I was just at MSP not to long ago and it seemed packed. Where the hell are they going to put these things?

I think Mesaba's first vacancy was for MSP. That doesn't mean that all of them are going to there. I'd bet to see CRJ domiciles in all three hubs at Mesaba for another degree of work stoppage redundancy.

Gates C-13 thru C-15 are to be converted into 5 CRJ gates. Long term plans have gates C-5 thru C-12 to be converted into 18 more RJ gates. I would bet though that most of the new capacity being added will go to fueling expansion in DSM, MKE, and, IND.

There will be about 75 new CPT positions with the initial 15 CRJs. XJ's goal is about 5 Cpts per A/C to 4 FOs. fly4ever was correct about the vacation issue, although the number of vactions cancelled is limited by CBA and most of the cancelations this year have been FO's, but there is also the extra simulator event per year and more FTI's and MGMNT pilots among the CPT's. However, I can't remember a time when they have actually reached that number for more than a few months.

The 110 number that keeps flying around is just to cover deliveries through December. 4 additional A/C will be delivered after the 1st of the year. The 110 FO number is higher than the CRJ allocation to cover the extra number of FO to CPT that will be in class.

Like Workin'Stiff said, I believe that 9E will see a down sizing in MSP at some point. The reason is 3 fold.. 1. Lack of space 2. NWA Whipsaw (they know that a lot of MSP pilots live there) 3. 9E will see alot of the growth in IND and MKE for some time and that can be originated out of MEM and DTW fairly easily.

Workin'Stiff said:
Wouldn't be surprised if 9E slowly gets pushed outta MSP in the process...

Gotta love the Red Tail labor relations. :)

LivinDaDream said:
Like Workin'Stiff said, I believe that 9E will see a down sizing in MSP at some point. The reason is 3 fold.. 1. Lack of space 2. NWA Whipsaw (they know that a lot of MSP pilots live there) 3. 9E will see alot of the growth in IND and MKE for some time and that can be originated out of MEM and DTW fairly easily.

1. Space is a concern in MSP. The few CRJ's that Mesaba is getting though can be accommodated.

2. If NWA wanted to use this as a whipsaw they would push PCL out of MEM. Thats were most of our pilots live. Well over half the MSP pilot population commutes.

3. Most all of the flying out of MKE is done through MSP. A considerable amount of IND flying is done through MSP as well.

Its not likely that NW will put PCL into a position where they have to displace pilots out of MSP. We have some of the best contract displacement rules in the industry and it would cost PCL a fortune to enact such measures. Besides that it would be absolutely stupid for NW to concentrate Mesaba's presence in just one base. That defeats the entire purpose of having multiple carriers operating the same aircraft.

All valid points and I'm not starting a debate. Just my opinions. It looks as if XJ will get 35 CRJs, so the "few" comment may not apply. My guess is the first 15 in MSP and then the rest spread out.

As for the cost concerns, NWA is infamous for spending large amounts of money to pi$$ off labor with very little return on their investment. NWA will be footing the bill, not 9E. Any and all types of displacements are possible, including closing existing bases and opening new ones. It happened to us with the SAABs going to MEM during negotiations along with closing 2 domiciles and our displacement language is as solid as 9E. Not trying to pick apart your post, but don't put anything past NWA now that Sect. 6 has begun.

Always think worst case scenario with these guys cause NWA will go there to try and break you.

Absolutely, if NWA wants XJ's planes or in this case, 9E's planes somewhere, they'll get it. What big brother wants, big brother gets. Both of our companies are at Northwest's beckoning call. And this history between our company's shows that we'll do just about anything to stay "in favor" with Northwest.

Hopefully we can keep the pilots of both groups informed enough to realize that. Normally, we all start blaming eachother for our managements' decisions. The only power that we have is in our solidarity.

xcr600 said:
See I got a call about a month ago from a HR person out there at "MESABA" ;) and she told me that they are planning on putting me in the CRJ but I would have to wait till Aug to get a class date. From what I understand the Aug 340 class is all upgrades and no initial FOs. And I dont understand why this post is rubbing some people the wrong way, I am happy to just have a job but since I do have this little bit of information about the AC I think I will be assigned I figured I would try to obtain some information about it. I would ask the same questions if I thought I was going to get the 340 or avro but we all already know how the schedules work for those AC.

Man, Congrats for the job. are u going to canda for trainning or something like that?

Latest resources

Back