Mesaba Rapes Labor

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Fly4hire,

I can't believe you would convince yourself of this nonsense. Mesaba has a very competent group of pilots - with a lot of experience! You guys should try and help us, just like we would like to help you! Unfortunately, it'll soon be out of our hands and you might find your smug a$$ out on the street with the rest of us, or just as bad, we might REALLY be forced to take your job.
Spreading ill feeling on a message board is juvenile! We can see that you guys have been bearing the brunt of this for years, but at XJ the pilots have been fighting the same fight - you guys never took the time to notice! You would rather complain to each other, instead of doing something aggressive and bold! Unfortunately, this pilot group looks ready to take some bold decisions! I say "unfortunately", because you guys never had the ba!!s to do it years ago, when you had the upper hand!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Flyin4Free said:
i haven't been around long enough to make my own opinions but it seems in talking with others that our MEC doesn't have much of a spine and will accept whatever mgt gives us. there aren't many that like the current contract so what makes you think the "it's a great deal for us" won't be said again??

We've been told that any significant "deals" between ALPA and management would involve membership ratification. In that case, I don't think it will matter if our MEC has bollocks or not, I think our pilot group has already made up their mind.

MM

I think the real problem is NOBODY but a select few knows where the NWA money trail leads. How much dept does Wings or Mair or whatever shell company is controlling 9e have? How much revenue...profit.....loss? I think it would be pretty hard to unravel it all. When Mesaba Aviation enters Ch. 11 and Mesaba Holdings say they will provide D.I.P what does that tell you?

Pilots definately have the ability to make up every penny of pay loss in extra fuel burn. Get your $$$$$'s worth !!!

Originally Posted by Monster Buck
Our protection is in appendix f. 1) any new airline subsidiary of MAIR Holdings, Inc. will be staffed by pilots on the Mesaba Pilots' System Seniotity List: 2) ...use our contract 3). all Mesaba pilots get to bid first on the new co.'s positions. 4) all of new co. pilots must be put on Mesaba's pilots seniority list. Also Big Sky...shall not operate aircraft with greater than 19 seats.

In addition our scope in section 1. locks in Mesaba aviation to the scope. This section also covers our scope over successorship, transfer of co. aircraft or merger

I understand the scope protection in your contract but if the company (under NWA's direction) asks the bankruptcy judge to void the agreement, then all bets are off. Also, if MAIR is providing the DIP financing, they could require that scope relief be granted as a condition of the loan.

NWA has stated that they're looking to start a "NEWCO" to fly 70 - 100 seater's and this would seem to me to be the easiest turn-key solution for them. I hope like hell I'm wrong but I've been around long enough to know how NWA plays the game

How does voiding scope to allow more flying at big sky help Mesaba become (more) profitable? The only companies it would help would be Mair (who are not in BK) and Northwest. It would only hurt Mesaba to "farm out" flying. I don't think the judge would go for that. Here's a scenario for the conspiracy theorists: Mesaba/Big Sky merger. XJ pilots stapled.

The only companies it would help would be Mair (who are not in BK) and Northwest

I think you answered your own question. Everybody knows the only player in the game who really matters is NWA. Since MAIR will be providing the financing they'll want terms that give them the best return on their investment which the judge would agree to. Mesaba gets itself in better shape financially by becoming a much smaller airline with lower overhead.

sf3boy said:
I know how much you hate us regional pilots for stealing your jobs and routes with our trans continent

WFAYTA? Take a chill pill dude. Did I say or infer that? I was commenting on the factual business advantage XJ/PCL enjoy with the ASA.

sf3boy said:
We are now going to be forced by NWA and XJ management to fly even larger airframes for even less money. ALPA has always said we have to conserve jobs, help make the company profitable, blah blah blah. So we agree to fly an Airbus for just a little less than Jet Blue.

That only happens if NWA ALPA loses that battle, and if so it's not your fault. Most XJ's I have talked to don't want the bigger aircraft there.

sf3boy said:
Either way, you get your wish. Bad things are going to happen to Mesaba pilots.

Again putting words in my mouth. You have a complex about this whole regional/mainline thing. I wish no ill will to anyone at XJ. Do I want to see you prosper at our expense? No. But if that happens it's because of NWA and XJ management and the judge, not the pilots.

I do have an issue with pilots who do not realize where their hitherto spectacular career growth was coming from. Most do.

Our careers and futures are all intertwined, for better or worse.

As many have said before, the only thing that is wrong with XJ financials is the fact that NWA is not paying us.

Latest resources

Back