Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Mesa Go'in Solo.....Hawaii Here they come!!!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
"Most of our guys don't like him but will acknoweldge he is a hell of a businessman"

Bernie Ebbers, Ken Lay, and Dennis Kozlowski were also deemed as great businessmen...and look where that got them and their employees. Let's not forget that JO was kicked off Wall Street for securities fraud (which I believe makes him a felon).

Earl Williams said:
"Most of our guys don't like him but will acknoweldge he is a hell of a businessman"

Bernie Ebbers, Ken Lay, and Dennis Kozlowski were also deemed as great businessmen...and look where that got them and their employees. Let's not forget that JO was kicked off Wall Street for securities fraud (which I believe makes him a felon).

This is true. Why would anyone in their right mind want to go work for someone that is a felon, especially in the business sense? People need to do some research before going to work for Mesa.

Taco Rocket said:
I have done 7 leg days in the Taco Rocket out of CLT for 5 hours pay (if nothing cancels).

That sucks. I'm glad I get paid for "cancels".

JO is a good businessman though. I'm sure he wouldn't do anything that would cause the company to lose $$, that's not like him. Unless he's looking for a tax write off...

~wheelsup

Hell of a business man? I will grant you he is a great salesman. All his business is cost plus, how can you not make money. Treat employees like crap, then get a contract with a guaranteed profit. I dont blame JO except for the treating employees like crap. I blame the large carriers for making this guy rich on the backs of labor.

Yes I know there is a MESA airlines that actually operates as Mesa, but it was there before JO

Thi is bad news for Aloha and Hawaiian. It's really bad news for Fly Hi and Island Air. Given a choice, most people here prefer the jet; that's why Aloha and Hawaiian have lost money flying them interisland for decades even when more efficient alternatives were available.

Mesa probably wants to come to Hawaii because DOT statistics say the state has had the highest (and most rapid) average fare increases in the nation during the past three years. Aloha's in Bankruptcy, Hawaiian just emerged, and according to Island Air's DOT filing for larger aircraft, they have yet to break even after more than a year of "independent" operation. Now FlyHi has delayed their launch date. For an airline like Mesa with a lot of cash in the bank and a small jet fleet, it's possible to buy market share and sustain a long fare war.

There is a growing surplus of CRJs. Despearate leasing companies are trying to unload them on very favorable terms. If Mesa offers pilot jobs locally, they will pretty much be able to take their pick of anyone not currently operating Boeing equipment. Even if the wages are crap, guys here will take anything for twin jet time.

The last time there were four brands in this market (Aloha, Hawaiian, Discovery and Mahalo) fares dropped as low as $25.00. Everybody lost a lot of money.
Does Mesa do PFT?

RJP said:
Island Air's had trouble finding pilots over the past couple of years so if Mesa comes and doesn't offer more $$ (which is apparently doubtful), they'd better bring a chartered 767 full of pilots from the mainland with them.
...and start offering lunch for the interviews (no brown-bags)

At least there is more stability at Mesa right now than others. The pay does suck 1st year as does everywhere else. Upgrade time in CRJ is just under 2yrs so if you look at it that way, Mesa isnt the worst. 1st year Capt. or 3rd year FO....... whats better pay?? Hope they find pilots/employees in Hawaii to fill the slots.

PS. Rita is a whore

Has YV mentioned which RJ they are planning to use? Have they found a home for the ERJ's yet?

I know SOME of the CL-600's are gonna be used for the DL codeshare, right?

http://www.airlinepilotcentral.com/content/view/74/18/

First year pay sucks? So does 2,3,4,5 etc. The pay at Mesa is really really bad. You will not be able to live off of pay like this unless you are from here, and have somewhere to stay (ie mom and pops house).

As for realtors.com, and the "cheap condo's available" there are no cheap anything's in Hawaii. The only place's you'll be able to afford on Mesa Wages are area's that I wouldn't want to live, unless you want your apartment building to be featured on Dog the Bounty hunter.

http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/section/homes

Check out the chart labled Oahu Single Family Monthly rent. That says it all.

mdanno808 said:
http://www.airlinepilotcentral.com/content/view/74/18/

First year pay sucks? So does 2,3,4,5 etc. The pay at Mesa is really really bad. You will not be able to live off of pay like this unless you are from here, and have somewhere to stay (ie mom and pops house).

As for realtors.com, and the "cheap condo's available" there are no cheap anything's in Hawaii. The only place's you'll be able to afford on Mesa Wages are area's that I wouldn't want to live, unless you want your apartment building to be featured on Dog the Bounty hunter.

http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/section/homes

Check out the chart labled Oahu Single Family Monthly rent. That says it all.

Looking through the classified, the population isn't so higher compensated compared to mainland as I would expect with all the talk about cost. There are $8 jobs and etc in the paper, how the hell do these people live. How d people live in san diego which has higher cost than Hawaii. People adapt and learn to live within their means. However, I contemplate more senior folks bidding to the big island.

I don't know what the specifics are and why JO wants to go to the big island but I do know that this is a bold move. It is make or break time. I'll be watching from the sidelines.

Pitch, Power, Trim forever.

Latest resources

Back