• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Mesa a Step Close to Vote on TA

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Well, it certainly won't be me. Believe me, I've walked WAY more than a mile in Mesa pilot's shoes, and any improvement you get will be well deserved.

That said, I'm concerned that your MEC may simply not have a big enough vision, because for most of them, I suspect Mesa is pretty much all they've known. If (IF!) they're focusing on pay, they're missing the point. Mesa needs to be an enjoyable place to work, and since your management treats you like total crap, that means very specific and inviolate work rules.

Trust me . . . it is so much better on the outside, you won't believe it until you get here. Personally, I'd just throw away the pay rate page of Mesa's contract and look at everything else.

For god's sake, don't be afraid to vote down a sub-par contract. A credible strike threat is the only leverage your CEO understands anyway, and frankly, he doesn't believe your pilot group has the guts.

Well, for what it's worth, I did speak to one of the negotiating committee members about the pay issue. They did propose raising 1st year pay but keeping it the same for the rest and also increasing days off especially for reserves. I know I will vote NO if the min days off aren't increased.

I agree, and I figured somebody would call me on it. But I'm a realist. There's a time and place.

1. The economy is crap right now. One or two years ago it was a totally different story.

2. Mesa as a company is underperforming. SkyWest was and is making close to $200 million a year. Mesa is nowhere near that, and their existence as a company in a few years is in doubt.

That being said, the Mesa pilot have been dumped on for several years now. This TA will be nowhere close to what they expect, and if they want to hold out for something better, I fully support that.

But I thought pilot pay didn't really factor into whether or not you kept flying? You are backpeddling pretty fast.....What really bothers me is you were ready to throw ASA under the bus.....but now you are worried about our low cost competition surviving......

In 2 years these Mesa rates are going to be thrown on our negotiating table......Are you going to have the same tone then?

Unbelievable.......

Don't lecture me about the realities of the industry and the bargaining environment....I was well aware of those issues when you hardliners were still asking for big raises on the 700 and Bfund retirement plans at ASA....

You guys have to give us MAG guys some credit. Results from the polls taken show that pay rates are at the bottom of the list of priorities. QOL is at the very top. We as a pilot group will not settle for a sub-par QOL. And none of this, "at the companies discretion" junk either. I wish the email sent out tonight touched more on QOL issue. I am not afraid to vote NO.. Even if it takes us "6-12" months to get another TA worked out.

Actually, given the way most majors are furloughing, you guys might just want to vote down the first contract just as a matter of principle.

Even assuming Mesa survives, most of the current pilots are going to be there for a longer imprisonment . . .er, tenure, than originally planned. Another 6 months at the table with a strike looming over Mesa mngmt's head might get you a far, far better deal.

Your fight though, and a very tough call.

I wish all you MAG guys the best of luck!! You all have gone through enough crap over the years...time to upgrade!!

Time to make MESA not suck! I'm with you guys 100%...well what 100% I can give y'all!

But I thought pilot pay didn't really factor into whether or not you kept flying? You are backpeddling pretty fast.....What really bothers me is you were ready to throw ASA under the bus.....but now you are worried about our low cost competition surviving......

In 2 years these Mesa rates are going to be thrown on our negotiating table......Are you going to have the same tone then?

Unbelievable.......

Don't lecture me about the realities of the industry and the bargaining environment....I was well aware of those issues when you hardliners were still asking for big raises on the 700 and Bfund retirement plans at ASA....

Mesa could pay their pilots twice as much and still underbid ASA for new flying. Your point?

The bottom line is their fearless leader signed a deal with United that is not profitable, and their only profitable flying with Delta will be going away. You'll probably see them file BK after the Delta debacle is finished unless they get a really good settlement, and at that point it won't matter what kind of contract they have.

Unbelievable.......

You were once a negotiator, so you should understand the "position" game. Afterall, someone brought us a self-seving "pay for training" program when it was not even on the table at the end--never mind that someone sacrificed pay rates to get it!

Last edited:
You guys have to give us MAG guys some credit. .

I have to admit, I'm a bit surprised the negotiations have made it this far. With Mesa on the brink of bankruptcy, I don't really know what motivation the company has to continue to negotiate, but this is encouraging news. The devil is in the detail and the details haven't been worked out yet, but the effort is certainly commendable.

And we all know the first thing that's going to happen when and if Mesa does file, is that the company will request that labor contracts be set aside.

From what I've heard, I think the big question comes down to the number of days off. Without an improvement there, many of the other improvements won't really matter.

I have to admit, I'm a bit surprised the negotiations have made it this far. With Mesa on the brink of bankruptcy, I don't really know what motivation the company has to continue to negotiate, but this is encouraging news. The devil is in the detail and the details haven't been worked out yet, but the effort is certainly commendable.

And we all know the first thing that's going to happen when and if Mesa does file, is that the company will request that labor contracts be set aside.

From what I've heard, I think the big question comes down to the number of days off. Without an improvement there, many of the other improvements won't really matter.

The TA wont make it past the MEC if QOL isnt greatly improved.

and Salukipilot.... I met Obama today. Super nice guy

I'll believe it when I see it. Just early this year JO was quoted in saying he has one of the highest paid CRJ pilots and that attrition has gone down. If there is anything positive that comes out of this it's because of negative intent, that's the MESA way.

Latest resources

Back