• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Major Airline vs NetJets

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Thanks for the info guys. Speaking only about retirement, at CAL, the company will contribute 12.75% of your salary(effective this summer). What NJ contributes is good, don't get me wrong, but in year two pay at CAL, the company will contribute more to your retirement (yr two is about 8000) than NJ ever will (Per year contribution) and over a 30 year career, these amounts are significantly different. After upgrade, CAL's contribution would be 20,000+ per year. So I think this is the main reason a person would make this move.

Yeah, we'll see how long THAT lasts...just check out this link for the real story. NJA pays more than the majors....just the facts.

www.airlinepilotcentral.com

Last edited:
I guess I'm done trying to post information to help people out, getting idiotic responses like this. Apparently the information I have posted to try and help someone with their career decision concerning retirement is not the "real story" so maybe you could tell us exactly what is the real story and what was incorrect about what I posted.

Question:

I know 100% of SWA 12 yr capts are guaranteed a min of $174,906. What percentage of the Capts at NJA are Cat 3 or higher currently? What about with future plans (orders?)

Thanks

Question:

I know 100% of SWA 12 yr capts are guaranteed a min of $174,906. What percentage of the Capts at NJA are Cat 3 or higher currently? What about with future plans (orders?)

Thanks

Many variables there...

Right now, most fleets are Class 1-3 and RTS knew it. Further, the way a Class is determined is a bit... slanted. No worries. We accomplished much last time. There are more CBAs in front of us. Many more.

I would think that CURRENTLY anyone on property who has been here 12 years should be able to easily hold a cat 3 airframe, if not cat 4. Now 5 years from now that may not necessarily be the case due to rapid growth over the last few years and the lack of attrition (hint: this is because our job doesn't suck). A quick glance at the seniority list shows the most junior PIC on cat 3 pay appears to be a G-200 driver with a 1/03 DOH. Most junior cat 4 PIC looks to be a 9/97 hire. Not sure about a percentage breakdown

Question:

Thanks
First, let me answer your question directly. If you are a 12 guy at NJA, your seniority number would be less than 65 and you are in Cat 4 territory. As a cat 4 PIC, assuming 2 years in the program, your base pay would be about $125,000 or $150,000 depending on schedule. Realistically you could plan on another $15,000 to $20,000 in overtime, extended days, etc.. That is the here and now.

Second, What the future holds for those of us hired during the boom of six years ago and later is totally different. I am currently in approxiamately the top third of the seniority list. I have no expectations of ever making cat 4 PIC pay. There are too many guys in front of me. That's all right though, because my W2 wages are more than 7 and 7 cat 4 base.

Third, I echo what Twotter76 has to say. I too will put NetJets QOL up against any airline, anytime. There are so many positive intangibles here that you would have to experience them yourself. I don't have the words to explain.

Lastly, this job is NOT for everybody. I love my job, but not everyone is down with this type of flying. To me, not knowing where I will be RONing from one night to the next is exciting. To others it is frustrating. Different strokes for different folks.

Even after the enormous growth we have had in the last 7 years, I still think that NetJets is the best kept secret in aviation.

Many variables there...

Right now, most fleets are Class 1-3 and RTS knew it. Further, the way a Class is determined is a bit... slanted. No worries. We accomplished much last time. There are more CBAs in front of us. Many more.

LOL....

Lastly, this job is NOT for everybody. I love my job, but not everyone is down with this type of flying. To me, not knowing where I will be RONing from one night to the next is exciting. To others it is frustrating. Different strokes for different folks.

Even after the enormous growth we have had in the last 7 years, I still think that NetJets is the best kept secret in aviation.

This is very true. I am very happy at NJs. Some days are very tough, while others are easy. I just came off of my 7 day vacation (it was really 21 days). Then I was flying a trip that was a transcon everyday for the first 4 days. Then we are flying into Manzinillo, MX and over to Cabo for the overnight. Doing all of the little stuff isnt hard, it just makes some days long. Dealing with the 1-6 customers is fun for the most part.

I am not going back to the airlines.

Latest resources

Back