Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Floyd94

WPC Member
I see some of the new hires at CAL are from NJA. Are those guys just chasing big planes or is there a legit reason for the move?? Things that make you go hmmm.....

Last edited:
NJA is not suited for everyone. This is a unique business that requires a person to go beyond what many of us thought a career in aviation should demand.

Everyone has their own reasons.

In my opinion, I think there are probably a fair number of pilots here that do miss flying for an airline and probably always dreamed of working for one of the majors. I know I miss the travel benefits that I had at the airlines. However, the vast majority of NJA pilots who would like to work for one of the majors are probably never going to test those waters or never test them again unless NJA goes down the drain for some unforeseen reason.

The reasoning behind this is that most of us believe NJA is probably a safer bet and while the money at the top isn't quite as good as the majors, the security and the benefits that NJA does have outweigh the risks involved with going for it at a major. Every time there is a terrorist plot or action that harms the airlines NJA gets more business. The majority, but not all, of the airlines out there also have a proven track record of hideous management that has cost thousands of jobs, retirement accounts, and careers. The airlines also have a cyclical history of big furloughs.
these are all quite scary things and the vast majority of pilots here who were furloughed from majors are not going back, but there will always be some who want that lifestyle more and are willing to take that risk.

7 and 7 isn't great for everyone and I'd bet that the majority of pilots here didn't dream about flying corporate jets when they were growing up- most of us probably dreamed about the glory days at the airlines and most of us realize now that those days probably aren't ever going to come back. I'm sure the majors will get their compensation and rules up from where they've sunk to, but I doubt they will ever be what I dreamed about when I was growing up. I'm happy at NJA and I think the vast majority here are also. I'm definitely not saying something can't go wrong here, but right now I doubt there will be many making the jump.

There are various reasons folks would jump ship at NJA to swim the dangerous waters of the 121 world again:

1. Big plane fever
2. Prefer the stability of the day-to-day scheduling of the airlines
3. Better pay over the length of their career (for now)
4. Don't want to clean planes, load bags and take care of passengers
5. Still PO'ed about the contract negotiations

I turned down a Continental interview to stay at NJA because:

1. Wife won't move and I won't commute again (not that I'd want to live in Houston, Cleveland or Newark anyway)
2. Big paycut at first year FO pay at CAL
3. Enjoy the flying we do at NJA over the 121 world
4. Love the 7 and 7 schedule and knowing what my schedule will be for the rest of the year
5. Paid medical, dental and vision (a big plus with a family)
6. Fantastic 401K program (I'm betting CAL loses its pension sooner or later)
7. Two weeks vacation that turns into 3 weeks off.
8. etc

I've flown with several guys at NJA that just don't like the lifestyle and can't handle the daily schedule changes. They also don't want to provide service to the passengers. Nothing against these guys, it's just not their cup of tea and they would definitely be happier at the majors.

I say more power to the guys going to CAL, they're probably senior to me anyway!

^ I would almost argue that the pay is better at NJA. CAL 777 guy ops out at 186/hr with a 72hr guarentee($160,704/yr). BBJ and DA-200EX at NJA top out higher than that($229,850/yr. and $198,360/yr). Also, upgrade time at NJA is much quicker than CAL so over all earnings would probably be better at NJA.

Last edited:
^ I would almost argue that the pay is better at NJA. CAL 777 guy ops out at 186/hr with a 72hr guarentee($160,704/yr). BBJ and DA-200EX at NJA top out higher than that($229,850/yr. and $198,360/yr). Also, upgrade time at NJA is much quicker than CAL so over all earnings would probably be better at NJA.

Spoke with 777 capt at a major airline while airlining last tour, and he doesn't make that much more then me. He has been at his airline for 30 years.

It just depends guys.

There aren't many Class 4-5 planes paying those slaries at NJA. Hopefully that changes but that's up to RTS to order the rigs.

Most pilots here are CLass 1-3. You can make well into the 100s in a CLass 1-3, especially if you are willing to fly the Reserve Sched.

On 7n7, you will still pull down decent coin.

NJA is in the drivers seat of it's niche of the industry. If NJA were SWA, there are no comperable competitors of the same size... yet anyway.

NJA has TREMENDOUS financial backing with a business model that is unbeatable. Um, let's see if I have it down here... if fuel prices increase, the Owner pays for it. If prices increase, the Onwer pays for it. If landing fees or operating costs increase in any way what's so ever, the Owner pays for it. NO airline has cost controls like that in place.

NJA has a brand name that Owners care deeply to be associated with. Most airline pax could give a rip how they got to PBI fro NY.

NJA is, in many ways, still in it's infancy in a young marketplace.

This business is alot like surfing. Some surfers catch a killer wave, some none and just sit around all day sharing stories with buds. The important thing is being out there and watching out for sharks along the way.

This has indeed turned into a better job than it was. Still some improvements left to make, but ain't that always the case?

What is the typical yearly flight time at A fractional? For some corp, 400hrs a year is a big year.

I had a conversation with an ATA buddy of mine. As is usually the case when flying professionals get together, the conversation turned to money. When I told him what I expected to make in '06 (sans bonus), he drew a blank stare. He then told me that, that was the what a 12 year 757 captain was bringing down there.
I'll always be fond of my airline time, albeit Comair time. But the only way that I'm leaving NetJets is with two 300 lb., former OSU linemen, on each arm, throwing me out the door (I would still go to City BBQ before I left).

Latest resources

Back