• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Major Airline vs NetJets

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
One other important factor for me not going to SWA is the fact I have to pay for the job. I have done enough paying for my job...and I really do not see myself investing in a B-737 type rating just to get a possible interview. At NetJets they do the right thing in providing you with the proper training and a type rating in the aircraft you are hired into. All free. As it should be. Even McDonalds provides free initial training..:) I know people will say that it is a small price to pay to get into a job where you will make good money. But, I already have a job where I make good money and it will be as good as at SWA. Not to mention I have heard in the not so distant past that SWA management was talking to unions about first time possible pay freeze or cuts. That might have changed but it was something I heard back when fuel was out of control...and it can be that way again. So, all I am saying I do not care how great thr peanuts are on SWA...companies should stop charging pilots to work there. Or is this how they really make a profit...hmmmm.

The next time you're in the islands....don't smoke the janja weed!

Last edited:
Where do you guys get this idea that the AMA limits the number of doctors in the US?

The AMA no more limits the number of Doctors than the American Bar Association limits the number of lawyers in the US. (And I think we can all agree there are too many of them around)

Here's the latest census data I could find on the number of Doctors, Lawyers, and Pilots in the US:

http://www.census.gov/Press-Release/www/releases/archives/labor_table597.pdf

For those who dont care to read through all the occupations, here's the summary:

Physicians and surgeons - 819,000
Lawyers - 952,000
Aircraft pilots and flight engineers - 116,000

Doesnt look like we have any shortage of Doctors or Lawyers...

50 Billion flies can't be wrong?

...are there no more people who would like to be admitted to medical school?

There is a need for more doctors. All you have to do is try to get an appointment when you need one to figure that out.

Yet the Med Schools are not producing them in accordance with demand.

In fact, flightinfo is filled with great examples like this. Diesel has the attitude, bearing, and demeanor of a truck driver, so it should come as no surprise that he is perceived as such.

truckdriver... whatever... just sick of you and your ilk. better to be a truck driver than turncoat.

by the way i could dredge up old posts of you fighting us every step of the way during negotiations.

ciao

Last edited:
[FONT=Verdana, Helvetica]Hey Family GUY...[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Helvetica]http://www.mises.org/story/1547[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Helvetica]History[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Helvetica]The American Medical Association (AMA) was founded in 1847 around two propositions: one, all doctors should have a "suitable education" and two, a "uniform elevated standard of requirements for the degree of M.D. should be adopted by all medical schools in the U.S."[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Helvetica][1][/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Helvetica]In the days of its founding AMA was much more open--at its conferences and in its publications--about its real goal: building a government-enforced monopoly for the purpose of dramatically increasing physician incomes. It eventually succeeded, becoming the most formidable labor union on the face of the earth.[/FONT]​

[FONT=Verdana, Helvetica]AMA's initial drive to increase physician incomes was motivated by increasing competition from homeopaths (AMA allopaths use treatments--usually synthetic--that produce effects different from the diseases being treated while homeopaths use treatments--usually natural--that produce effects similar to those of the disease being treated). This competition did serious damage to the incomes of AMA allopaths. In the year before AMA's founding, the New York Journal of Medicine stated that competition with homeopathy caused "a large pecuniary loss" to allopaths.[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Helvetica][2][/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Helvetica]In the same issue, the dean of the school of medicine at the University of Michigan railed against competition because it made treating sickness "arduous and un-remunerative." [FONT=Verdana, Helvetica][3][/FONT][/FONT]​

[FONT=Verdana, Helvetica]Apart from reversing rapidly declining incomes, allopaths also wanted to rescue their public reputations, which quite reasonably suffered given their proficiency in killing patients through such crude practices as bloodletting ("exsanguination") or mercury injections (poisoning). A few allopaths desired adulation normally reserved for star athletes and actors. The Massachusetts Medical Society opined in 1848 that physicians should be "looked upon by the mass of mankind with a veneration almost superstitious." [FONT=Verdana, Helvetica][4][/FONT][/FONT]

To accomplish the twin goals of artificially elevated incomes and worship by patients, AMA formulated a two-pronged strategy for the labor market for physicians. First, use the coercive power of the state to limit the practices of physician competitors such as homeopaths, pharmacists, midwives, nurses, and later, chiropractors. [FONT=Verdana, Helvetica][5][/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Helvetica][6][/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Helvetica]Second, significantly restrict entrance to the profession by restricting the number of approved medical schools in operation and thus the number of students admitted to those approved schools yearly.[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Helvetica][7][/FONT]
Here is a current story of the AMA limiting opportunities for people to make it in the US as Doctors... http://www-personal.umich.edu/~jeffshuo/cgi-data/topic1.html

Last edited:
Warning! Warning! The tour describes by FlyLow22 is not typical at Netjets. Don't come here thinking your biggest problem is going to be sunburn :0 As an example on my last 7 day tour there was only 2 days where I did not earn o/t (duty > 12 hours).

Just as an example on one day we flew from Southern California to Florida, repositioned to another city in Florida, waited 2 hours for the owner and then flew to El Paso Texas. I suspect that is a more typical tour at Netjets - but then again I am on the X ;).

Last edited:
121 PAX flying is for suckers!

At NJA, I have flown less than 85 hours in the last 4 months. Heck, I flew only 2.5 hours last tour. I am on the higher paying reserve sked with an average of 14 days off/mo. Used no vacation days. No lost days off commuting. Nice hotels, not the 121 dives. 50% return ROI minimum guaranted on my 401(k), no medical premiums, and so on, and so on.....

Yeah, let me sign up for that furlough every other year, non commutable sked, retirement lost in reorganization, watered down pay, job. Sounds like a good deal.

[FONT=Verdana, Helvetica]Hey Family GUY...[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Helvetica]http://www.mises.org/story/1547[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Helvetica]History[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Helvetica]The American Medical Association (AMA) was founded in 1847 around two propositions: one, all doctors should have a "suitable education" and two, a "uniform elevated standard of requirements for the degree of M.D. should be adopted by all medical schools in the U.S."[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Helvetica][1][/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Helvetica]In the days of its founding AMA was much more open--at its conferences and in its publications--about its real goal: building a government-enforced monopoly for the purpose of dramatically increasing physician incomes. It eventually succeeded, becoming the most formidable labor union on the face of the earth.[/FONT]​

[FONT=Verdana, Helvetica]AMA's initial drive to increase physician incomes was motivated by increasing competition from homeopaths (AMA allopaths use treatments--usually synthetic--that produce effects different from the diseases being treated while homeopaths use treatments--usually natural--that produce effects similar to those of the disease being treated). This competition did serious damage to the incomes of AMA allopaths. In the year before AMA's founding, the New York Journal of Medicine stated that competition with homeopathy caused "a large pecuniary loss" to allopaths.[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Helvetica][2][/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Helvetica]In the same issue, the dean of the school of medicine at the University of Michigan railed against competition because it made treating sickness "arduous and un-remunerative." [FONT=Verdana, Helvetica][3][/FONT][/FONT]​

[FONT=Verdana, Helvetica]Apart from reversing rapidly declining incomes, allopaths also wanted to rescue their public reputations, which quite reasonably suffered given their proficiency in killing patients through such crude practices as bloodletting ("exsanguination") or mercury injections (poisoning). A few allopaths desired adulation normally reserved for star athletes and actors. The Massachusetts Medical Society opined in 1848 that physicians should be "looked upon by the mass of mankind with a veneration almost superstitious." [FONT=Verdana, Helvetica][4][/FONT][/FONT]​

To accomplish the twin goals of artificially elevated incomes and worship by patients, AMA formulated a two-pronged strategy for the labor market for physicians. First, use the coercive power of the state to limit the practices of physician competitors such as homeopaths, pharmacists, midwives, nurses, and later, chiropractors. [FONT=Verdana, Helvetica][5][/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Helvetica][6][/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Helvetica]Second, significantly restrict entrance to the profession by restricting the number of approved medical schools in operation and thus the number of students admitted to those approved schools yearly.[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Helvetica][7][/FONT] http://www-personal.umich.edu/~jeffshuo/cgi-data/topic1.html
You're actually trying to quote the "Ludwig von Mises" Institute to support your insanity? Have you no shame man?

What's this obsession you have with Austrian schools?

Since you ignored the logic when I first posted it back in August when you tried to quote the Dean of the Austrian School of Economics, I'll give you another shot at it....

What's wrong, couldn't you find someone from the University of Chicago, or MIT, or Harvard, or Wharton, or somewhere else to support your claims?

Oh, those Austrians are world renowned for their strong economy... :rolleyes:

Here is a current story of the AMA limiting opportunities for people to make it in the US as Doctors... http://www-personal.umich.edu/~jeffshuo/cgi-data/topic1.html

As for this lame entry, I suggest you read your own posting. All this story was about was giving preference for residency slots to US citizens before foreigners. It has nothing to do with restricting the number of doctors.

Try again...

As self-appointed president of the VAST RIGHT WING and Conspiracy thereof:

Yes I like the Austrian School and Mises Institute. Been a fan of Austrian Economics for more than 20 yrs.

Out with Fiat currency and Monetarism! Bring back gold and Real Money!

But you don't like THE MONETARIST Milton Friedman references I don't like monetarism but we work for monetarists. Fractional Banking : Fractional Ownership same same.

What's wrong, couldn't you find someone from the University of Chicago
You don't like the Austrians... I give you The Monetarists:

Friedman, Milton. Capitalism and Freedom. University of Chicago, 1982.​

[7] Friedman (1982, p. 152): "To return to medicine, it is the provision about graduation from approved schools that is the most important source of professional control over entry. The profession has used this control to limit numbers." Blocking entry is much more effective than just raising the real price of a medical license; the "far more important" measure is "establishing standards for admission and licensure that make entry so difficult as to discourage young people from ever trying to get admission" (p. 151).​
Your turn...

Last edited:
[/indent]You're actually trying to quote the "Ludwig von Mises" Institute to support your insanity? Have you no shame man?

What's this obsession you have with Austrian schools?

Since you ignored the logic when I first posted it back in August when you tried to quote the Dean of the Austrian School of Economics, I'll give you another shot at it....

What's wrong, couldn't you find someone from the University of Chicago, or MIT, or Harvard, or Wharton, or somewhere else to support your claims?

Oh, those Austrians are world renowned for their strong economy... :rolleyes:

As for this lame entry, I suggest you read your own posting. All this story was about was giving preference for residency slots to US citizens before foreigners. It has nothing to do with restricting the number of doctors.

Try again...

If the Austrians actually followed the recommendations of von Mises they would have a terrific economy! :_)

Latest resources

Back