Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Looming pilot shortage at regional airlines...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The total cost for an in-state flight student, will run more than $90,000 for the four-year program. For out-of-state students the cost is an additional $3,454 each year. Financial aid is available, as at all schools, but the expense represents a real commitment.

Spend $100K for a career field that will net you maybe $30K/yr during your first 7-10 years of employment? Gee, can't figure out why they would have trouble finding people to do this kind of work.

It is all part of the 2007-hiring boom starting one year from now.

Hey YIP,

There is a migrant-worker hiring boom going on in Bakersfield too. But, only pick strawberries because you enjoy picking strawberries. Oh yeah, no college required either.

Well, lol

Well I guess I should respond to this thread since I participated in this artical.

1st of all RAA (Regional Airlina Academy) Is a great school. I enjoyed my time there and would reccomend it to anyone looking to start flying.

2nd of all I believe there will be some kind of pilot shortage in the near future. I believe its already started.

3rd of all Im on the EMB 145 not a CRJ as most of the people would know RAH does not have CRJ.

4th Im making just around 60k a year and that suites me fine. Would I want more hell ya. Do I need it to be comfortable no.

I do this because I love flying thats IT the fact they pay me a nice salary is a bonus.

Andrew

Last edited:
pilotyip said:
SWA, FedEx & UPS at the top of the chain all have the same 10,000 applications, only 5,000 of them are the pilots they are interested in interviewing. They will all interview the same 5,000 pilots; most will be hired in the next 18 months.

OK, now I KNOW you're smoking crack.

5,000 pilots hired to the top of the food chain carriers such as SWA, FedEx, and UPS? In 18 months? Dream on,,,

SWA is geared to hire around 200 pilots for the rest of the year. FedEx has almost that many in the pool (already hired) and will probably only hire another 100 more. UPS MIGHT hire another 50. Next year's numbers from those 3 add up to about 700 pilots.

If you include CAL, airTran, and jetBlue (all desirable jobs over a regional), those numbers increase to about 1,000 a year. There's your hiring "BOOM". If you include the RUMORS that DAL and NWA will have to start street hiring again in late 2007 because so many people won't accept recall, those numbers to up to about 1,500 a year FOR ALL THE AIRLINES COMBINED.

In plain English, it'll take 4 years approximately to hire 5,000 pilots to major airline jobs. Not 18 months.

There is no pilot shortage, that whole article is just like Kit Darby, trying to sell a bunch of snake oil to people with an eye on a dream that doesn't exist.

GoingHot, you're exactly right. $100,000 in salary is about $5,500 a month in take-home income, whereas $50,000 in salary is about $4,000 a month in take-home income. 100% increase in income with only a 30% increase in actual pocket money - disgusting. THAT'S why $100k isn't that great to shout about.

drewbeCHQ said:
I do this because I love flying thats IT the fact they pay me a nice salary is a bonus.

Andrew
And therein lies the problem, Andrew.

By the above phrase, you'd do the same job for LESS... how much less, Andrew? How about when you get married, buy a house, and have kids? Would you still do it for less, or would you suddenly realize you NEED more to make ends meet?

But wait, you CAN'T do that, because some snot-nosed, dream-filled, idiot kid is going to come along and do it because "they LOVE flying, that's IT, the fact they pay them a nice salary is a bonus". Right?

I know just out of college (or maybe even high school) it's hard to look at the big picture, but give it a try some time.

taylor01 said:
I agree 100% with the second part to your post. In response to your first comment about who makes 100 k at a regoinal, no one. Most regoinal pilots plan to fly for a major airline one day and thats when they can easily make 100 K. And 100 K isnt alot of money when you live in an expensive area which is why in most families both husband and wife need to work inorder to support their families.

$100k is a ton of money, even if you live in an expensive area. The reason both husband and wife work in most families if that most Americans live beyond their means. $100k isn't a lot of money if you own several new luxury cars, have a mortgage worth of outstanding debt (not including your actual mortgage) and spend more money than you make each month. I made $12k a year while in grad school (this was two years ago) and managed to get by just fine because I was careful about what I spent.

Lear dont get me wrong of course I think we deserve more money. I know what it was like in the glory days of the majors. My father was a 30 yr employee at USAirways. I saw the 20k a month checks. That was definatly an incentive to start flying but NOT the only reason.

Look ive come to realize that maybe 250 - 300 thousand a year at a Major might never happen again. I can either be part of the solution or part of the problem and until the industry picks up again i choose to be part of the solution.

Trust me i know what its like as a FO. I spent the first 2 years of my career at Colgan and CHQ at 21 bucks an hour.

And no i wont do it for less then im making now, REASON i left Colgan, More money, better company, better equip.. Is chautauqua my final resting place sh*t if it is I F%^ked up royally. But in 2 or 3 years ill move on to hopefully a legacy carrier and make descent money by the time i HAVE a family and BUY a house.

Murdoughnut said:
$100k is a ton of money

you're dreaming!!!..100k is nothing these days...trashmen in nyc make more that that...my buds wife is a secretary for a builder and makes 100k...many no unskilled jobs make 100k....the point is this is skilled labor....it would take me 10 minutes to learn the trashman's job....how many years for the trashman to get qualified to fly a widebody jet around the globe....see the RJ captain is making less than the trashman...noone see a problem with that?..hey D'angelo..u make less that a NYC trashman.!!!

Latest resources

Back