Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Looming pilot shortage at regional airlines...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I know of a bunch of Captains at SkyWest that make 100,000 + a year. Granted you don't have 20 days off a month either. It's not as hard as everyone thinks.

After you pay off your alimony for the wife that left you because you were always out flying overtime, that $100k isn't quite so much.

Quote: Among educators, these concerns have resurrected the idea for a government-sponsored national aviation academy to take up the slack in training future pilots.

This is great! We're all here talking about how lousy this profession CAN be with low pay and furloughs and the "Educators" want to start a government sponsored academy. Can you say welfare? Just what the airlines need, more government subsidy to keep salaries low.

How about letting the system work? If a shortage ever develops, salaries will rise and more people will get into aviation because the pay is better. Simple principle that worked well until so many people decide that the government should fix every problem. Isn't this what deregulation was supposed to allow to happen?

Ready2Fly said:
Why so bitter? Jealous of the fact that I have a good in at the most profitable major in the world and that I'll never have to fly for a commuter to get there?

I guess I'm not bitter or jealous. I was just angry because of the condesention and "tone" that you used in your post. Someday when I make it to a major (profitable or not) and my CA or FO asks me "how did you end up hear?" I can tell him that I bused my ass flight instructing, then got hired to fly a busted up King Air while I was in college, and finally flew an ERJ for a company that I love and respect. I will earn my peers respect as they realize I worked hard to earn my job and that I did not have to use a "silver spoon" to get hired. In addition they (as well as myself) will appreciate the skill set that my experiences have given me and realize they all combine to make me a better pilot. I'm only 22 and with one more jump to make (barring any furloughs) I guess I'll have plenty of time to enjoy whatever major I end up at and should really not be that upset at your attitude and position. I'm sorry for using profanity towards you. Good luck with your carrer.

Out of curriousity what major do you have your in at?

ERJFO said:
I guess I'm not bitter or jealous. I was just angry because of the condesention and "tone" that you used in your post. Someday when I make it to a major (profitable or not) and my CA or FO asks me "how did you end up hear?" I can tell him that I bused my ass flight instructing, then got hired to fly a busted up King Air while I was in college, and finally flew an ERJ for a company that I love and respect. I will earn my peers respect as they realize I worked hard to earn my job and that I did not have to use a "silver spoon" to get hired. In addition they (as well as myself) will appreciate the skill set that my experiences have given me and realize they all combine to make me a better pilot. I'm only 22 and with one more jump to make (barring any furloughs) I guess I'll have plenty of time to enjoy whatever major I end up at and should really not be that upset at your attitude and position. I'm sorry for using profanity towards you. Good luck with your carrer.

Out of curriousity what major do you have your in at?

Ready2Fly is Rhoid. He does nothing but post flame bait under various identities. He thrives on attention, so just ignore him.

pilotyip said:
But they are not making $35K after 10 years in the business, most are making close to $100K.
WTF are YOU smoking?

10 years in the business making six figures? Not likely, unless you count the people who PFT and jump right into a regional and STAY there.

Otherwise, 2 years of flight instructing, 3 years as a regional F/O, then 5 years as a CA puts them at 8th year CA pay on most RJ's around $75-80 an hour. Even if they fly 1,000 hours a year with work rules that add 10% to their paycheck you're still only around $85k - $90k a year.

Then you go to work for a major (if you're lucky) and drop back down to $30k to $45k a year for another 3 or 4 years before you get even CLOSE to six figures again.

That still puts a pilot in the upper 10% of US wage earners. That is not a bad place to be. If you like to fly this is still a great career.
Sure, not a bad place to be... as long as you live in a moderately-expensive location and don't have more than 1 or 2 kids. If you DO, you just put yourself living about the same as you did when you were single and making $55k. Comfortable, but not fantastic.

I taught my son to fly and he is a professional pilot, I am teaching my grandson to fly and will encourage him to pursue his interest in flying if it matches his father's and grandfather's.
Good for you. Seriously, I'm glad it's worked out for you. For me...?

I'm playing subliminal messaging tapes to my 7-month old... they keep saying:

"Med school, cardio-thoracic surgeon, plastic surgeon, fly for FUN..." ;)

Looks like an old troll has a new name today... Ready2Fly. Jeez, don't you have anything better to do?

I'm not sure why everyone thinks that being a doctor, or a lawyer, or some financial type is the ticket to financial and emotional satisfaction, it really isnt. You hate your hours now? Go talk to some poor, burnt out middle-tier lawyer, or some doctor who didnt end up being a beverly hills physican. Their wives will divorce them because they are always gone, just like they are going to divorce us. You need to help your kids foster their athletic talent so they can excell in some sport and make multi-multi millions of dollars chasing a ball around. Yes, I am bitter they make 30 million dollars a year and I dont. My son will be a professional football player, weather he likes it or not, and my daughter will be a tennis player, weather she likes it or not. Then they can support us, buying us houses, cars, all the things we couldnt have by being pilots. Now, where did I put those old football cleats.........

Last edited:
Magneto said:
I know of a bunch of Captains at SkyWest that make 100,000 + a year. Granted you don't have 20 days off a month either. It's not as hard as everyone thinks.

Yea if you stay with the company till the end of time or are one of those guys that are involved with the company more than they are with the family and have no life outside flying.

What these SJS kids in college need to realise is that if they get into aviation, they will need to spend years of flying just to make what their friends in college made right out of college. A bio grad out of college makes around as much as a Reg CA. Meanwhile John Doe struggles who's a reg FO struggles to live in an apartment with 9 other FOs, that make 1500/ month.

Wrong route

[FONT=&quot]Lear the money is not in the RJ route; it is in the cargo route, bigger airplanes, and bigger paychecks. I have seen too many of our younger pilots in their 20's approach the $100K figure. As far as living on your pay got to be in the right place. One of our pilots just bought a house in ND, payments are $76/mo including taxes. 3 BR, 1 bath 1200 sq ft on a 60 x 40 lot. Purchase price $6,000. On his$80K/yr he lives like a king. Plus with our CASS program jumpseating is pretty straightforward. BTW you are really a lucky guy you are flying the 727, the one plane I really wanted to fly but never got the chance[/FONT]

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back