Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Looming pilot shortage at regional airlines...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
pilotyip said:
But they are not making $35K after 10 years in the business, most are making close to $100K. That still puts a pilot in the upper 10% of US wage earners. That is not a bad place to be. If you like to fly this is still a great career. I taught my son to fly and he is a professional pilot, I am teaching my grandson to fly and will encourage him to pursue his interest in flying if it matches his father's and grandfather's.

i agree, most regoinal pilots got in because they heard all they great stories of the major airline captian making a ton of money and working a few days a month. all the people that bitch about flying for a regoinal expected that they shoudl should make big bucks right away and not have to put in their time somewhere. those captains who made 300 + a year had been flying for 35 + years either in the military or with an airline. I garrentee that most of the people who bitch on this message board havent been in the industry long. I am not saying that regoinal starting pay is where it should be, i am just saying that pilots ambitions to make 100 + k in a few years out of ioe is unrealistic. Ya allot of pilot who have been in this industry are getting screwed by losing there retirements and having 40 percent of their salary taking away, but most young pilots know not to expect those huge salaries anymore and hopefully have learned to not depend on company retirement plans. Making over a 100 k a year is a lot of money, if you wanna make more get out of flying and do something else, go to grad school and do corporate finance, it may not be as much fun but you'll be home every night and afford to buy your own jet

ERJFO said:
F.U.C.K. You

Why so bitter? Jealous of the fact that I have a good in at the most profitable major in the world and that I'll never have to fly for a commuter to get there?

Last edited:
nice post taylor, a refreshing touch is a sea of negative vibes

taylor01 said:
Making over a 100 k a year is a lot of money, if you wanna make more get out of flying and do something else, go to grad school and do corporate finance, it may not be as much fun but you'll be home every night and afford to buy your own jet

Who makes over 100k at a regional? And no 100K is not much if you live in an expensive area with a dependent family. You can't get a decent home in the LA area for under 600K anymore. Anyways the point is that we should be fighting for better pay and not putting up with company excuses about lower pay. Look at Fedex or UPS or Southwest, they aren't overpaying their pilots, that's what pilots are supposed to make. We shouldn't be happy with 100K a year.

OOflyer said:
Who makes over 100k at a regional? And no 100K is not much if you live in an expensive area with a dependent family. You can't get a decent home in the LA area for under 600K anymore. Anyways the point is that we should be fighting for better pay and not putting up with company excuses about lower pay. Look at Fedex or UPS or Southwest, they aren't overpaying their pilots, that's what pilots are supposed to make. We shouldn't be happy with 100K a year.

I agree 100% with the second part to your post. In response to your first comment about who makes 100 k at a regoinal, no one. Most regoinal pilots plan to fly for a major airline one day and thats when they can easily make 100 K. And 100 K isnt alot of money when you live in an expensive area which is why in most families both husband and wife need to work inorder to support their families.

Last edited:
OOflyer said:

Someone on the regional board said that a 6 yr skywest capt make $117K last year.

Latest resources

Back