Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Looming pilot shortage at regional airlines...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
It is not the 20 yr old kid with SJS who is driving down wages, its the 28 yr old lawyer or accountant that already is making a decent living and is able to take out an $80k loan and buy their way into the right seat. These are the d-bags I hear say stuff like well I still have quite a bit of $ in my savings account from my last job so I don't give a sh***t if I barely make any $, I'll be flying a jet!!!! Most of us 20 yr old kids have to get it done cheap and instruct/work another job for a couple years and pay our dues. I wish the 30-something yr old guys would just keep their current job and fly for fun instead of selling their house and paying for a program that gets them into an RJ at 500 hrs, but those with more $ will always have an advantage. But I agree with the pilotyip, there is better money in going the cargo route...

As long as these future pilots don't attend the CAPT program they'll be just fine... ;)

Flying Ninja - you also on airlinepilotcentral?

IF so thanks for you candid story...It was a real eyeopener to the dangers that lurk for would be students interested in flying for a profession.

-LAFF

cybourg10 said:
It is not the 20 yr old kid with SJS who is driving down wages, its the 28 yr old lawyer or accountant that already is making a decent living and is able to take out an $80k loan and buy their way into the right seat. These are the d-bags I hear say stuff like well I still have quite a bit of $ in my savings account from my last job so I don't give a sh***t if I barely make any $, I'll be flying a jet!!!! Most of us 20 yr old kids have to get it done cheap and instruct/work another job for a couple years and pay our dues. I wish the 30-something yr old guys would just keep their current job and fly for fun instead of selling their house and paying for a program that gets them into an RJ at 500 hrs, but those with more $ will always have an advantage. But I agree with the pilotyip, there is better money in going the cargo route...

BEST POST I'VE READ IN AWHILE!!!!!!!

someone educate me

i guess i don't understand because i don't fly for a regional airline. But seriously why is everyone so angry about this article. If you guys are so upset about the money your making in the regionals...then move on. I'm sure there is something out there that pays better. it sounds like alot of people in this biz got in it for the big bucks. surly you had to see better things out there. Aviation is only for a select few. i think most of the times people go..hey how can i make the most money without doing anything. i know AVIATION!! and then they get where they want and its not all easy work. so people complain about what they aren't getting. I guess i might learn what the deal is when/if i actually get an interview and get hired. Most of my flying has been corporate and i have been very lucky to get the flying.

But it seems to me that unfortunately the pilot community i've been around loves to complain about something. SO please tell me whats to complain about. I knew getting into the biz that i wasn't gonna make 100k a year. and i knew that i'd probably have to commute a bunch and not be home. i knew that it would take me about 4 years to get where i want to be. And yeah i've spent money on my training, but who hasn't? you guys can't tell me that one of you hasn't spent some kind of money on his/her training. i can understand being made at someone who dropped 35k on a CRJ sim and got all this turbine time because they have the money.

IF i'm that guy who drives your wages down then i guess i'm sorry. i don't think i am. but i am like alot of the people out there who flight instruct and can't wait till they land that first job flying somebody somewhere. All of you have been there.

Ready2Fly said:
Boy I'm glad I've got an in at the most profitable major and won't have to put up with the regional BS.

I hope your kidding with your 450 hours. I had an in at a profitable major airline at one point, but he got killed in a plane crash. Think my game changed? Pull your head out of your butt. 450 hours and already going to the majors. Good luck, it'll eat you alive.

Skaff said:
I hope your kidding with your 450 hours. I had an in at a profitable major airline at one point, but he got killed in a plane crash. Think my game changed? Pull your head out of your butt. 450 hours and already going to the majors. Good luck, it'll eat you alive.

It is pulling your leg. Someone will post his other usernames here eventually.

Jpilot23 said:
And yeah i've spent money on my flight training, but who hasn't?

Military pilots...

Jpilot23 said:
IF i'm that guy who drives your wages down then i guess i'm sorry.

IF you are that kind of guy you can expect to hear this quite often in the future: "Sorry sport, looks like we are going to be over max gross. I won't be able to let you jumpseat this flight, best of luck on the next one."

But lets hope you aren't that kind of guy........

Last edited:
Jpilot23 said:
I knew getting into the biz that i wasn't gonna make 100k a year. and i knew that i'd probably have to commute a bunch and not be home. i knew .

Don't say that I knew getting into this biz I wasn't going to make 100k, that means that you are giving in to the company and are willing to get down on your knees to get that flying job. What you can do to help is go only for the companies that have higher salaries, if they don't accept you continue to instruct untill you get in, don't go to a company that pays slave wages. That way companies will be forced to raise salaries. It's kind of hopeless when people pay 25K to ATP to buy a job at eagle,expressjet,pinnacle. That is what we are complaining about.

God forbid in a country like The United States of America you would like to pursue the profession you desire.
Only cybourgs know what they are when they are created.

Latest resources

Back