• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
By Del Quentin Wilber
Washington Post Staff Writer
Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Despite the thorny political landscape on Capitol Hill, airline executives believe the time is still right to put a deal together, some analysts and consultants said. One reason: They believe they will have an easier time passing regulatory muster under the Bush administration than its successor.

Transportation Secretary Mary E. Peters, who would advise the Justice Department on the affects of an airline merger, signaled that the executives are probably right.

Citing the economic challenges facing the industry, Peters said in an interview that she believes "there is going to be some consolidation. "To the greatest extent that we can let the market work unfettered, the better off we are as a country," she said, adding that her agency would weigh each proposal on a case-by-case basis.

"Generally, airline mergers are not good for airline employees or consumers," said Rep. Jerry F. Costello (D-Ill.), chairman of the House aviation subcommittee, adding that he would hold hearings into any announced deals. "When airlines merge, it means there are fewer airlines, less competition and higher prices. They cause me grave concern."
Sen. Byron L. Dorgan (D-N.D.) expressed similar misgivings, saying, "I don't think any of the airline problems are going to be solved by airlines getting bigger."

Although lawmakers play no official role in the regulatory process, their attitudes can influence the ability of air carriers and financial backers to finish deals.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/01/21/AR2008012102056_2.html

Last edited:
Also - what about scope? Occam brings up the Airlinks and Connection carriers. I'm not sure who this will be a bloodbath for, what about these factors?
- Delta wants out of 50 seat contracts that are not voidable. They renegotiated with Republic holdings to upgrade their E135/145's for E170's to get out of 50 seat obligations
- Delta's VP of Ops said he likes the CRJ700/900 as a stop gap until the new generation 100 seat dreamliner tech airplane is brought to market
- NWA is parking some DC-9's. Obviously that airplane is close in capability to a big RJ, even if the -9 is much more comfortable.
- We all know ALPA's history on outsourcing, talk tough and then "surprise"

I floated the idea of a merger involving the connection / airlink carriers too based on a fleet type merger (staple) with date of acquisition fences/bidding and DOH longevity. No one was very interested.

Anyone else want to see "one list" result from this merger? With everyone brought to the negotiating table with "one" management, seems like there is an opportunity to get some flying back to "mainline" with the eventual goal of someday all flying being performed by pilots on "the" seniority list.

As is always the case the difference between opportunity and furlough is going to be scope.

I think this should be ALPA's top priority during the coming mergers. More good would be done for the careers of all pilots if we could get all 70+ seat flying done by mainline pilots. We all know the -9's are going to be replaced by E-175's and that DAL wants to have lots of CRJ-900's. That is alot of jobs that mainline guys now have. I know it would suck for those at the connection carriers to not have that flying, but in the long run your careers would be better if that flying was done by mainline pilots.

I think this should be ALPA's top priority during the coming mergers. More good would be done for the careers of all pilots if we could get all 70+ seat flying done by mainline pilots. We all know the -9's are going to be replaced by E-175's and that DAL wants to have lots of CRJ-900's. That is alot of jobs that mainline guys now have. I know it would suck for those at the connection carriers to not have that flying, but in the long run your careers would be better if that flying was done by mainline pilots.

Well, Lee Moak continues to BRAG that he can stop any merger. If he wants this to go forward, he had better restore some of the lost wages/rules, save jobs, and tighten scope. Can he do it? I don't know---but he brags that he can stop a merger. Let's see him play hardball. And, job protections are a MUST.

Bye Bye--General Lee

I 100% agree!!!

Well, Lee Moak continues to BRAG that he can stop any merger. If he wants this to go forward, he had better restore some of the lost wages/rules, save jobs, and tighten scope. Can he do it? I don't know---but he brags that he can stop a merger. Let's see him play hardball. And, job protections are a MUST.
Bye Bye--General Lee

Agreed. Any pay raises, equity, etc. mean nothing if it is for a company that needs to "synergize" to the tune of 1000's of jobs lost. Of course they will claim that their will be none, blah, blah, but look at the strength of any no furlough clauses re: Force Majeure.

The hammer will drop slowly after the fact once the party is over.

Watch their feet, not their lips

Maybe the Northwest hangar in ATL will have the lights back on soon...

Doubtful. It's a Superfund site due to massive amounts of organic solvents and heavy metals from electroplating on site. We use their parking lot, and they had to do a huge cleanup and sealant operation before they could even let us in there.

I don't see massive flight crew job losses due to the lack of significant route overlap in a DAL-NWA merge.

I do however see massive cuts in management and operations since each airline has duplicate HQs (or GOs in ATL speak).

The true blood bath will be in the cubicles, not the cockpits.

I don't see massive flight crew job losses due to the lack of significant route overlap in a DAL-NWA merge.

I do however see massive cuts in management and operations since each airline has duplicate HQs (or GOs in ATL speak).

The true blood bath will be in the cubicles, not the cockpits.

What if 100+ DC9's are parked?

Latest resources

Back