• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Looks like CAL/UAL MECs want the RJs

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
great, I am going to get hired at CO and be an FO in a regional jet. Just F'ing wonderful

great, I am going to get hired at CO and be an FO in a regional jet. Just F'ing wonderful

It's going to be a while before CAL/UAL hires off the street. Honestly, who cares what equipment your one as long as your on a mainline list.

But just think, from there you can climb the ladder and go to larger aircraft the legitimate way, instead of hoping for larger aircraft to flow down to you, so you can stay in your left seat without interviewing, and keep your 4 weeks of Summer Vacation in Myrtle Beach to sit on the beach and watch young girls walk by while picking your belly button. (Joe Merchant) And as stated above, they have to go through 1400 furloughed UAL pilots and 147 furloughed CAL pilots until you can interview there. So, don't worry about it.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Thanks to stagnation at the regionals, regional pilot pay has increased over the years, and many of the Captains are making ok money at the top of the regionals. So, if the mainline pilots stick with those current wages, it shouldn't cost anymore, right? You don't have to start over at $40 an hour for Captain rates. Start the 70 seat Capt rates at $80 an hour (what they are currently at most regionals flying 70 or 76 seaters), and furloughed pilots will flock back to those planes. At the same time, the Legacies could then monitor the training programs and keep them in check, which has also turned into a litigation issue thanks to the Colgan crash. It will be more expensive for legacies to have to pay for another couple crashes at the Regionals if proposed legislation is enacted and they are allowed to be sued also along with the Regional itself.

Bye Bye--General Lee
Genny,
I will ask you again(not that I expect a coherent response), how much are you willing to forgo in pay to get those airframes to be flown by pilots on your list?
Because I don't think even you are dumb enough to believe that your company pays my company(and me), to fly planes with your paint on them because they prefer to pay more for that capacity, this is about divide and conquer, and you being the largest(6'4" buck 20) cheerleader, are playing right into their game, your hate for the game and the placement of your hate for regional pilots is perfect(for management). You see Comair? That's you in 15 years, you see the UAL pensions, that's you in 15 years. Do you know the largest growth industry in the 90s and 00s? Real Estate? Tech Industry? Stock Market? Nope Temp Agencies, that's Right, Temp Agencies. Regionals are temp agencies, I know it, accept it and have future/alternate plans, do you? I will make a prediction though, and as much as it pains me to say it, I will be flying more of your flying, rather than vice versa. Because that flying belongs to DAL, not you or your list, or me and the company I work for, it's contracts between DAL and SKYW, you and me are just the help.
PBR

Genny,
I will ask you again(not that I expect a coherent response), how much are you willing to forgo in pay to get those airframes to be flown by pilots on your list?
Because I don't think even you are dumb enough to believe that your company pays my company(and me), to fly planes with your paint on them because they prefer to pay more for that capacity, this is about divide and conquer, and you being the largest(6'4" buck 20) cheerleader, are playing right into their game, your hate for the game and the placement of your hate for regional pilots is perfect(for management). You see Comair? That's you in 15 years, you see the UAL pensions, that's you in 15 years. Do you know the largest growth industry in the 90s and 00s? Real Estate? Tech Industry? Stock Market? Nope Temp Agencies, that's Right, Temp Agencies. Regionals are temp agencies, I know it, accept it and have future/alternate plans, do you? I will make a prediction though, and as much as it pains me to say it, I will be flying more of your flying, rather than vice versa. Because that flying belongs to DAL, not you or your list, or me and the company I work for, it's contracts between DAL and SKYW, you and me are just the help.
PBR

PBR,

It's not whether or not our current mainline pilots will take lower pay to fly RJs, but rather will you or other Regional guys take the lower pay, when those planes do make it over to mainline and you are hired there too? Mainline will continue to get bigger anyway with new INTL routes and retirements over the next 5-6 years. The Capts on those RJs would be junior mainline pilots, and newhires would be FOs. Also, when it comes to negotiating scope, the flying belongs to the union. If the Union negotiates for the RJs, then the union gets it. Then, your company could lose the flying. If there are contracts, they could be broken and a breakup fee is paid. You just never know. It's not the companies' flying, rather what is negotiated. Just look at the UAL/CAL stuff going on. To get a CLEAN merger that is required by the honchos at Wall St (really running the show to increase the Market Cap and make money for the stock holders, bankers, lawyers, management teams, etc), management has set a date upon which they want that merger complete and a joint contract complete (they watched the DL/NWA merger vs the USAir debacle). Setting a date for something to be completed is NOT leverage for someone who has done it, and this time it is management doing that. They NEED it done, lest they will not all get their XMAS bonuses and get "kissed" by their hot wives. All of that means things will be negotiated now that might not have been on the table in the past, and that could mean trouble for the regionals. And, it sounds like the UAL and CAL MECs are serious, which will be great for a lot of people if they take back ANY of the regional flying, even in a series of steps to get out of contracts that will expire eventually or pay breakup fees.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Last edited:
Genny,
Again, if you think the flying is yours, it's not. DAL has a contract with your pilots to fly specific types of airplanes. They contract with other entities to fly other types planes. Again you are stuck in the fog of the airline business, the airlines are retarded, business wise, they are 20 years behind the rest of the world, UAL still uses the perforated paper with holes on the side. The Temp Agency concept has given management ultimate control of the workforce across the country in all segments of the business world. Who services your planes DGS right, a non union contract company. Ever notice that at some airports UAL A/C are serviced by Green trucks with United Service Company on the side? Those companies are non union and contracted. Employee costs too high because of longevity, contract with another provider. What about Alaska? Contracting with some other ground services company. Where are more and more D checks being done, it used to be done in AZ, with some big D check companies, now it's being done in Mexico or the PI or some other 3RD world toilet, it wasn't too long ago that those jobs were USA Union jobs done in the USA.
You sneer at SKYW pilots for being non union, but willingly step onto A/C that until recently(last 20years) were maintained and serviced by American Union workers, oh the hypocrisy. Your problem is you think 5years is a long time and base your strategy on that time frame, meanwhile your company is looking 20 years downline. Know why? The average career is aprox. 20 years long, and employees in the first 10 years are just concerned about keeping their jobs and the last 10 making it to retirement.
I apologize for the run ons and spelling, drunk and tired does that.
I come from other non airline careers and this stuff is clear as day to me and why I have multiple alternates for short term and long term, I am just a FedEx mailer away from a side step to another lively hood as well as moving to another airline.
Look at the US workforce today. In fact look up Motts apple in west NY. and their on going strike, and the replacement of American Union workers with scabs, nice, a non union SKYW pilot schooling a union pilot on union activities in America.
PBR

Genny,
Again, if you think the flying is yours, it's not. DAL has a contract with your pilots to fly specific types of airplanes. They contract with other entities to fly other types planes. Again you are stuck in the fog of the airline business, the airlines are retarded, business wise, they are 20 years behind the rest of the world, UAL still uses the perforated paper with holes on the side. The Temp Agency concept has given management ultimate control of the workforce across the country in all segments of the business world. Who services your planes DGS right, a non union contract company. Ever notice that at some airports UAL A/C are serviced by Green trucks with United Service Company on the side? Those companies are non union and contracted. Employee costs too high because of longevity, contract with another provider. What about Alaska? Contracting with some other ground services company. Where are more and more D checks being done, it used to be done in AZ, with some big D check companies, now it's being done in Mexico or the PI or some other 3RD world toilet, it wasn't too long ago that those jobs were USA Union jobs done in the USA.
You sneer at SKYW pilots for being non union, but willingly step onto A/C that until recently(last 20years) were maintained and serviced by American Union workers, oh the hypocrisy. Your problem is you think 5years is a long time and base your strategy on that time frame, meanwhile your company is looking 20 years downline. Know why? The average career is aprox. 20 years long, and employees in the first 10 years are just concerned about keeping their jobs and the last 10 making it to retirement.
I apologize for the run ons and spelling, drunk and tired does that.
I come from other non airline careers and this stuff is clear as day to me and why I have multiple alternates for short term and long term, I am just a FedEx mailer away from a side step to another lively hood as well as moving to another airline.
Look at the US workforce today. In fact look up Motts apple in west NY. and their on going strike, and the replacement of American Union workers with scabs, nice, a non union SKYW pilot schooling a union pilot on union activities in America.
PBR

PBR,

WRONG. It is all about what is NEGOTIATED. If Dalpa wanted to fly all 50 seaters, they could negotiate that. IF they wanted to only fly 744s and furlough everyone else (not a popular one I bet), then it could be negotiated. Everything is on the table when negotiated. You guys at SkyWest don't know about that since you don't have a normal union, but rather one that is infultrated by management people. Really, it is the union's flying if it is negotiated that way. I don't know how many more times I have to state it for you. It might be costly to negotiate, but that is how it works. A Legacy doesn't have to deal with the groups from it's connection partners, but eventually they have to deal with their own pilots.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Latest resources

Back