Looks Like 1500 Hours May Become the New Hiring Minimum Among Other Things:

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Got me wrong.

If you honestly think the ship sinks or swims based on pilot pay - even on the old contracts circa 2000- you're an idiot. Never even close. The numbers just don't back that up.
Got me wrong, I was countering a post above that pilot salaries were only a small part of gross profit. They are in fact a large part. I am not saying change salaries, I am pointing out there is not much margin in the airline business and any change to costs will have consequences, many of them unforeseen.

Agreed.... and this is an acceptable paradigm?

The paradigm is for you to change. Though looking at 90% of the threads on the first page of the majors forums it is pretty obvious that you guys couldn't organize a bake sale let alone a revolution in labor.

Funny

The paradigm is for you to change. Though looking at 90% of the threads on the first page of the majors forums it is pretty obvious that you guys couldn't organize a bake sale let alone a revolution in labor.
Now that is funny!

Lets look at SWA one of the few profitable airlines, 5900 pilots, average annual salary, (guessing low, since many F/O's make that much) , = $100,000, total pilot annual payroll before benefits, $590,000,000, now use an industry standard of 1.35% for benfits, ='s $769,500,000. Profit last year $178,000,000. What percent is $769M of $178M on an annual basis? 430%. Pilot compensation is four times the amount of profit. Pilot compensation is also about 7% of gross revenue at SWA
SWA 2008 Financial Statistics:

• [*]Net income: $178 million
    [*]Net income, excluding special items: $294 million
    [*]Total passengers carried: 101.9 million
    [*]Total RPMs: 73.5 billion
    [*]Average passenger load factor: 71.2 percent
    [*]Total operating revenue: $11.0 billion
How many times net profit are aircraft leases?
Fuel costs?
Combined non-pilot compensation for all other employee groups?

It doesn't matter, as long as a company is covering their costs and still making a profit. That's what you don't get. I don't give a d@mn how much my salary is of total income at a company, as long as it's profitable, I deserve to be paid a fair wage for my contribution to the company's operations. If they can't afford a fair wage, they don't need to be in business.

Southwest is a great example, thank you. An airline that can afford to pay their pilots 7 times Gross Revenue and STILL turn a profit.

Now imagine all the REST of the airlines out there where pilot compensation is only 2% or so of Gross Revenue. If Southwest can afford to pay more than 3 times that, then so can everyone else. Thank you for making my point for me...

Got me wrong, I was countering a post above that pilot salaries were only a small part of gross profit. They are in fact a large part. I am not saying change salaries, I am pointing out there is not much margin in the airline business and any change to costs will have consequences, many of them unforeseen.

sound the bells! The mysterious 'consequences'!!
I think it would have a big affect on your company- not much on majors- the biggest on "regionals"- and that's kind of the point inexperienced pilots have ended up doing mainline domestic flying and it's not right to anyone involved- ESP pilots and passengers- there's simply a better way-

Call your congressman today- you'll be surprised how little they know on this subject- call the papers- we can't wait! Now is the time

It seems most American consumers readily cut down American workers. Pilots will complain about $99 fares but then run to big box stores to get the cheapest price.....

You speak from the luxury of not having responsbility.....

Safety cost money. Who is going to pay for it? Who should pay for it?

That's beautiful man....

You speak from the luxury of not having responsbility.....

I speak from the luxury of being a trained professional who is highly desired and compensated in my field for my ability to achieve results. You speak as somebody whose only worth is his seniority number.

We both chose what we would be judged on.

I speak from the luxury of being a trained professional who is highly desired and compensated in my field for my ability to achieve results. You speak as somebody whose only worth is his seniority number.

We both chose what we would be judged on.
...says the best damn burger flipper in all Genessee County.

Latest resources

Back