• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Look before you leap, NJASAP!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
So, the election is clearly going to happen. Anybody know how long before ballots are sent out and what the timeline might be for the issue to be settled?

Quo Vadis

82% in 1 month. NetJets Pilots are still united and very able to represent themselves.

Sigh....

Schrode, I guess I still haven't made it clear. Apparently you think I am attacking NJASAP.

It is great that the NetJets pilots are united. It is great that they are showing their solidarity. (Really!)

This thread is about the fractionalization of labor and the necessity of maintaining strong national (global, really) influence.

If I were opposed to NJASAP as the best move for this small group of pilots, I would have been posting my objections on the union board. This is not about NJASAP per se...(I think I've already posted that before.) The NetJets pilot group is a very small group. Their overall influence, even within the IBT, is....well, insignificant. However, fragmentation of labor as a trend is very disturbing to me.

This is not a question of membership voting to support their local leaders, this is a question of where our leaders are taking us.

That's it...this is not a membership issue, it is a leadership issue.

Quo Vadis?

Last edited:
Sigh....

Schrode, I guess I still haven't made it clear. Apparently you think I am attacking NJASAP.

Quo Vadis?

No actually I could care less about your opinions. I was simply stating facts for those who are interested. Not sure I even read your post.

GSD, the time line going forward depends on the decision currently being made by Hoffa in response to the talks last week in CMH between the IBT and NJASAP. Basically, it boils down to this: Is Hoffa going to agree to a professional, amicable split or is he going to insist on a public full decertification campaign that could turn ugly? :eek: NJASAP is prepared for either route. I was told the high number of cards collected in a short time definitely impressed the IBT. The strong unity and organizational skills of the NJA pilots and their NJASAP leaders was particularly noted by Hoffa's representatives. In the meantime, NJASAP directors remain very busy planning the future and building the framework (Bylaws, policies, etc) to support an independent Union.

..... fragmentation of labor as a trend is very disturbing to me.

This is not a question of membership voting to support their local leaders, this is a question of where our leaders are taking us. That's it...this is not a membership issue, it is a leadership issue. ...

You see it as fragmenting, but many others view it as evolution and specializing. What sounds good, philosophically speaking, in practical application can become too large and unwieldy to respond in time and having many members from various industries just leads to a conflict of interests. The proverbial "Jack of all trades, master of none" has been the experience for NJA 1108 leaders who tried to work for frac industry improvements within the framework of the IBT. It wasn't possible; their efforts were met with resistance--not the help they expected.

One cannot separate the membership from the leadership on the issue of leaving the IBT. Had there been no interest on the part of the members the NJASAP leaders would be looking at empty mailboxes and talking to themselves on their message board. The opposite is true and Schrode's a perfect example of this reality. NJASAP is leading the way, but they are taking the NJ pilots (assuredly A and reportedly I) exactly where they want to go. 82% so far have given the NJASAP leaders their marching orders. The well supported independence movement is just as much a grass roots campaign as Strong Union was when it was propelled to the front by the NJ pilotgroup. In fact, NJ pilots have referred to NJASAP as StrongUnion 2.

BMX,

Currently all non-management pilots flying the line are dues paying members of IBT Local 1108. Even the management pilots have to pay a "service fee" to IBT 1108 that very closely equals what the dues would be for them.

That being said, we are an "agency shop." Pilots have the ability if they choose to be "fee payers" instead of full members. No one has chosen to do that because it really doesn't make sense. You still pay the same "fee" but you don't get to vote.

That same scenario would carry over under NJASAP.

GSD -

Our attorneys estimate the time line to certification would be complete around the middle of July. Since the NMB is currently running 4 elections, it could get pushed back to around the 1st of August.

As NJW states, there is still the possibility of a deal with the IBT to do this outside the formal process of a NMB Representation Dispute. The time line for that is a little quicker (not much) but it provides for a more orderly transition.

We'll know by tomorrow at 13:30E which way we are going.

I wanna do what b19 does......she sounds like a true pro that should be proud.

lol all you do is bash unions.....well i think you non-union job sucks canal water....how ya like that??

just trying to speak your language.
Step away from the acid. You're hallucinating. :confused:

Is the IBT the answer? Maybe a part of the answer.
Is the ALPA the answer? Maybe a part of the answer.

What has the IBT done for the pilot profession? It is maintining an environment where labor has some influence in Washington.

I have a tough time answering some of your questions because they beg the question of "where do I really want to go?".

As you may have guessed, I have a dream. That dream can only become reality through a strong, unified union representing all pilots and affiliated with all working people.
You have answered none of my questions, and only raised more.

I agree that pilots are essentially whores - that's why the pay is so low. Many get into flying professionally for 2 reasons: 1) it's fun; and 2) they think it will get them chicks. This is why pilots cannot get pay to increase.

Look at the "pilot shortage" at the regionals. Generally, when there is a shortage of something, the price will increase. But instead of increasing pay to ease the shortage, all airline management has to do is lower mins. Go low enough and there will be plenty of starry-eyed and horny 20-somethings willing to fly a shiny jet for less.

So how does the NJA pilots leaving the IBT (or staying) have any effect on that?

How will staying with the IBT help to realize your dream?

Since you have a dream, you must have given some thought to how to get there. So how would we get there? Where is this magical "strong union representing all pilots" coming from? How would us remaining IBT help that become a reality?

I don't want family stories. I would like to know the answers to my questions. So far, your "look before you leap, NJASAP" equates to telling a person, about to cross the street to meet the woman of his dreams, "careful, you might get hit by a car!" Yep, he might, but it's not likely if he prepares, and looks both ways before crossing.

Latest resources

Back