• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Lets talk unions....

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I assume all of you know what our working conditions were like four or five years ago compared to the way they were before August 2005. I'm sure all of you are aware of what conditions are like now. You're all correct in saying that our working conditions are management's responsibility. I would assume I am incorrect in saying that the union getting voted in has any effect on working conditions. Comments?

Mort, since you know so much, what was it like four or five years ago in our office?

Has it been the same management for the last 4-5 years or have there been management changes? eg same dispatch manager or Director of SOC?

I came back here just to see what is happening in the Flightinfo world, as I have thankfully been out of the airline biz since Feb, with no looking back (kinda hard to now, as I voluntarily surrendered my ADX back in Feb).

As for unions - if you are in a large shop, about the only good thing about unions is that if you screw up, instead of doing a carpet dance on your own, you'll have the union to back you.

When I was at EGF, all of the Caribbean dispatchers (all 10 or so of us) received LOIs because the POI in SJU was a complete idiot and didnt know the FLAG rules pertaining to navigation equipment required for an extended overwater flight (this was when dispatch was still in DFW). Long story short, the union and the company argued that what all of the dispatchers had done was 100% legal, and the LOIs went away. Even though I was no longer in the EGF office, the Union still argued on my behalf, and we all prevailed over an idiot POI.

Reading this thread reminds me of why I got out of the industry. Take it from me, life is way too short to not be happy in what youre doing for a job. At my last job I was making a whopping 14.42 an hour as a dispatcher, ops controller, crew babysitter, DX trainer and check dispatcher and Eagle Key User. If you wouldve told me when I got out of HS 20 or so years ago that in 20 years I would be making only 14 bucks and change an hour; I wouldve said you were higher than a kite.

All regional airlines suck to varying degrees, some just suck harder than others :)

void said:
Has it been the same management for the last 4-5 years or have there been management changes? eg same dispatch manager or Director of SOC?

It's been the same director and manager for the last two years or so. Before that we had a new manager and director every year.

En Mort Main said:
well at least some people understand

En Mort Main

You don't know how much better it had gotten because you were there for less than a year.

Good luck in whatever you do.

En Mort Main said:
I'm glad you have your point of view and managements in mind what about the "majority" that voted yes. What about their point of view? Guess that doesn't matter as much as managements right.
En Mort Main

That "majority" is no longer here. They seem to be leaving the company as fast as they can. Seems they don't have much faith in the union they voted in.

ShutupandFly said:
That "majority" is no longer here. They seem to be leaving the company as fast as they can. Seems they don't have much faith in the union they voted in.

Yep, that majority has left the building and most of them left long ago. Their M.O. is vote yes and leave us the mess it seems.

Last edited:
405 said:
Yep, that majority has left the building and most of them left long ago. Their M.O. is vote yes and leave us the mess it seems.

yes the fact of the matter is that angry people just love votin in a union. You see most don't even plan on sticking around they just want to "stick it to the man" one last time. Pretty pathetic if you ask me.

I resemble that remark 405

fact is the people that were pushiing the yes vote were seen by many as the knowledgable experienced dispatchers in nonconnah. Some people like me questioned and tried to get a balanced reply to which way to vote. most did not.. some i am sure voted knowing they were outa there.. you have to admit the information was not exactly free flowing from the company and sure I did even buy into the union stuff because they came an spoke about stuff.

How did I vote .. irrelevant.. Fact is that the negotiations could have been better organised except no one stood against your intrepid (and bitter) leader.. why they are sharing no information who knows. Hope you are still working on removal... its the only way ..

Heard you all had another exodus ?!!!

Regards,
Midnight Brit
Going Going Gone..

Latest resources

Back