• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Lets talk unions....

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
1.Perhaps we are looking at this from differing perspectives. I am interpreting "falling" as the rate or velocity at which one falls. I now beleive you are looking at it as the acceleration at which one begins falling, which is a constant. Apples, Oranges, whatever.

2. The biggest difference at SWA is that we all realize that the financial health of the company is in our best interest. I get paid more than many of my peers but I work more, under less restrictive rules than some of them do.
The other difference is that Labor/management interaction has been soured beyond any point of reconciliation by the actions of any particular representative of management.
Many of the poor labor relations in this industry are that way for good reason, on both sides of the argument. Read "Hard Landings" for a short history of the insane financial voodoo that is legacy airline management.

I don't think insane would be quite the right word...Try impossible.

Nope, insane was the correct word. After reading the book you realize that someone had to be crazy to make some the decisions that were made. Violating every tenant of sound business practice.

Management HATES unions. I HATE rancid sulfur farts.

I can find plenty of words, have found them, and even uttered them. Still get plenty of pressure to make sure I only put 15mins of holding fuel on my jam-packed 50 seat skooter trash RJ going into the world's busiest airport during an arrival bank. Thank goodness the pilots can still put on the gas they want - not what some management puke playing Filthy Sanchez with his cubicle mate wants him to carry.

You know those plastic chair mats make you more productive. I learned that one in college.

Now get back and monitor your console. The phones are ringing, the computer is crashing, and you've got a 2-day White Castle train thundering its way home. Man up, bite a stick, and make sure CFO Bangyerarse enjoys his flight into DCA.

Time for a square and some good ol' cat kickin'.

Last edited:
I plan on firing up the grill this weekend and spending some time with my wife and son. Screw work.

Our jobs are thankless regardless of whether you have a union or not. There are rules either way. Some may be more restrictive than others. I have said my opinion on this. Some of you may agree and some of you obviously disagree. Either way, it doesn't matter. We all have opinions.

I'm done.

crjdxr said:
Now get back and monitor your console. The phones are ringing, the computer is crashing, and you've got a 2-day White Castle train thundering its way home. Man up, bite a stick, and make sure CFO Bangyerarse enjoys his flight into DCA.

WOW. Thats one of the best rants this side of universe.

405, did you teach crjdxr how to rant like this.

Last edited:
Twu

If any of you are represented by TWU, I pity you.

TWU international publicly opposed the MTA strike in New York. New York's MTA workers represent close to a third of TWU total membership.

Here is a quote from an article
http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?section=traffic&id=3744460

Peter Dechiara, TWU International Attorney: "The international has indicated to the local that in its view under the TWU constitution this is an unauthorized strike. It has not been approved by the international."
A statement was released by the President of the International TWU Tuesday evening condemning the strike. It reads: "TWU (International) hereby notifies all members of Local 100 of their obligation under the December 13, 2005 preliminary injunctions and the December 20, 2005 temporary restraining orders issued by the New York Supreme Court to cease any and all strike or strike-related activities and to report to work at their regularly assigned work hours and work locations."

Look what they did for the 34,000 Public transportation workers in New York. They helped the MTA, Mayor Bloomberg and Governor Pataki cut the knees out from under the striking workers.

Do you really think the TWU is going to really help 20 to 50 dispatchers at a regional airline?

Latest resources

Back