• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Let's say you had a giant treadmill with an airplane on it

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
What proof do you have, Mr. RegionalTard?

Hmmm, I think your screenname here speaks for itself... at least the last four letters do.

Hey, no need to get nasty just because you are wrong!

The speed of the treadmill and the speed of the aircraft's wheels have nothing to do with it's airspeed. A plane moves due to thrust created from a prop or jet, totally independent from the ground. Where is the airspeed taken from? It's not from the wheels like a car, it is from a pitot tube. It will take off.

(I can't believe I even got involved in this one)

This is still going?

I'm still looking?

Must . . . poke. . . .eyes. . . out. . . .

If I'm flying a plane with 1000lb of Canaries, and they all get loose and are flying around inside the aircraft, does my gross weight decrese by 1000lb?

If I'm flying a plane with 1000lb of Canaries, and they all get loose and are flying around inside the aircraft, does my gross weight decrese by 1000lb?

So as long as you ignore Newton's third law, then yes, your gross weight decreases ;)

Hey, no need to get nasty just because you are wrong!

The speed of the treadmill and the speed of the aircraft's wheels have nothing to do with it's airspeed. A plane moves due to thrust created from a prop or jet, totally independent from the ground. Where is the airspeed taken from? It's not from the wheels like a car, it is from a pitot tube. It will take off.

(I can't believe I even got involved in this one)

You are incorrect.

Airspeed is taken from a pitot tube. When a pitot tube is not moving through the air, the airspeed would read zero.

This would be the case with a stationary plane on a moving treadmill. Even though the wheels would be moving, the airplane itself, which the pitot tube is attached to, would not be moving.

Because the airspeed will read zero, the airplane will not takeoff.

You are incorrect.

Airspeed is taken from a pitot tube. When a pitot tube is not moving through the air, the airspeed would read zero.

This would be the case with a stationary plane on a moving treadmill. Even though the wheels would be moving, the airplane itself, which the pitot tube is attached to, would not be moving.

Because the airspeed will read zero, the airplane will not takeoff.Today 01:47

I love it when a person demonstrates publicly that they are....not smart.
Think harder next time.

If a tree falls on a mime in the forest, does anyone really care?

If I melt dry ice, can I swim without getting wet?

I love it when a person demonstrates publicly that they are....not smart.
Think harder next time.

I don't have to think too hard on this one. It's quite simple. No airflow, no airspeed. No airspeed, no takeoff.

Latest resources

Back