• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Let's say you had a giant treadmill with an airplane on it

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
belchfire, don't bother. I already posted what is the 'correct' answer to this whole thing.

It's the ask the pilot column on salon.com , just backtrack and find the link I posted.

Yeah...sorry...I didn't get that far before I responded. The whole setup is kind of goofy but airplanes are designed to overcome rolling friction and aerodynamic drag in order to take off. Once movement starts -let me be very clear about this - once airspeed is indicated rolling friction rapidly becomes the lesser of the forces resisting acceleration as aerodynamic drag is increasing as the square of airspeed far beyond the point where rolling drag tops out.

Right out of brake release a typical heavy jet is accelerating pretty slowly but by the time rotation speed is reached the may be accelerating at a rate of 3 knots per second.

The presumption by the naysayers is that rolling friction can keep the aircraft from moving. The fact is that as liftoff airspeed is approached rolling friction is a small fraction of the forces acting on the aircraft. In order to reach takeoff speeds you have to be able to overcome the resistance of the wheels.

belchfire, don't bother. I already posted what is the 'correct' answer to this whole thing.

It's the ask the pilot column on salon.com , just backtrack and find the link I posted.

Oh, it's on the Internet. Must be right then.

You guys should get some little balsa rubber band propelled airplanes and try these experiments at a major airport near you with those human conveyor belts. Maybe they could crank up the speed to about 30 MPH for you. Martha and Elmer trying to get to CID for $69 round-trip might go flying off the end of the thing and slam into the floor but you could at least possibly prove your point.

Just a suggestion. Good luck.

Last edited:
I thought I would dust off this old gem to kill the PIC thread.

Let's say you had a giant treadmill with an airplane on it.

As you add power and begin to move for the takoff roll, the treadmill speeds up and keeps the plane in the same relative position. As the plane goes faster, the treadmill speeds up, always maintaining the aircraft's relative position.

Would you ever be able to take off?

GO!!

I'm sucked in because I starting to have a hard time telling who believes what. . .

Just because someone asks a question, it doesn't mean the question itself is valid. The question has two mutually exclusive states.

If you begin to move and the plane goes faster, you could takeoff.

However, if you are in the
same relative position and maintaining the aircraft's relative position, you will not fly.

I'm imagining the ERAU campus is abuzz with this question. No shortage of guys sitting around their computers with bras on their heads, theorizing the possible outcome.

COOPERVANE...you're a bad, bad man. Look what you started.

Last edited:
another way to look at is an airboat in a river. The thrust of the airboat is from an airplane propeller.

Aim the airboat up river and give her all she's got. If the river keeps accelerating downstream as you speed up going upstream. Will you move?

If the top end of the airboat is 100kts, and the river is flowing at 100 kts the other way, will you have moved past the dock you just left on the shoreline?

Not the same situation. The river is producing immense drag upon the fuselage of the boat. In the case of the airplane, the only drag that the propeller has to overcome is the drag from the wheel bearings. This drag is virtually nothing, and increasing the speed of the treadmill won't really affect it. Once the airplane's propeller overcomes the drag from the bearings (almost immediately), then the airplane will begin to accelerate without regard for the speed of the treadmill.

Oh, it's on the Internet. Must be right then.

In this case, it is right. That column, "Ask the Pilot" on Salon.com is by Patrick Smith, a regional Captain turned legacy furloughed F/O.

He brings lots of experience in his columns. They are all excellent, and he thoroughly does his research if he's presenting a question (as in this case).

You're right, everyone needs to be careful when finding answers on the internet.

But in this case, that column and that pilot are a good, credible source.

Latest resources

Back