Let's say you had a giant treadmill with an airplane on it

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You are incorrect.

Airspeed is taken from a pitot tube. When a pitot tube is not moving through the air, the airspeed would read zero.

This would be the case with a stationary plane on a moving treadmill. Even though the wheels would be moving, the airplane itself, which the pitot tube is attached to, would not be moving.

Because the airspeed will read zero, the airplane will not takeoff.

Bingo-we did this exercise during aero engineering 101 in collegio. Bottom line-you run on a treadmill 150 MPH and the treadmill keeps up, there is no wind in you face, errrrrr, wings.

Hey, no need to get nasty just because you are wrong!

The speed of the treadmill and the speed of the aircraft's wheels have nothing to do with it's airspeed. A plane moves due to thrust created from a prop or jet, totally independent from the ground. Where is the airspeed taken from? It's not from the wheels like a car, it is from a pitot tube. It will take off.

(I can't believe I even got involved in this one)

dumbass

I mean, really this is common sense. It's just like you running on a treadmill.

Imagine standing on the wing of this airplane. Engines spool up, wheels start rolling forward.

BUT, the treadmill goes in the opposite direction, exactly countering the wheel motion forward. And at takeoff thrust, the treadmill still goes fast enough to keep the aircraft from rolling forward.

You, standing on the wing, won't feel a thing. No wind flowing over/under the wing.

Imagine standing on the shoulders of a guy running full speed on a treadmill.

You won't feel any wind in your face.... since you have no forward motion relative to some point on earth besides the treadmill.

Why do airplanes have wheels Einstein?

So mx doesn't have to re-skin the belly every time the ham-fisted sky monkeys land.

Are those wheels powered?

(I won't answer that-you have to figure it out)

What does the powerplant of an aircraft push against?

(I don't give a flying frack at a rolling douhnut if it burns gas or kerosene-it doesn't matter)

Have you ever seen a floatplane take off going upstream on a river? Yeah, they get into the air just fine. Takes a little longer but they do just fine.

Now I want you to go to the gym and do an experiment. Not really, since you are obviously not an expert you shouldn't do this. Not at home or in someone else's gym. In fact, the illustration that follows is just that...an illustration. Do not do it. IMHO You shouldn't even be out in public unsupervised!

Get on your tread mill and crank the speed up just as fast as you can run. Then grab ahold on the pedistal that has the odometer and heart rate thingy on it. Run like a hamster on a wheel untill you are starting to get your runner's high...
then with both arms pull on the pedistal as suddenly and violently as you can!

did you move???

Do you have any contusions or lacerations? Bruises? Well, have a shot of tequilla and consider yourself lucky to be alive!

(surely no-one here is dense enough to do this!)

Again, do not try this at home...you are not an expert and you don't know what you are doing...clearly and above all else you know not what you are doing.

I'm surprised some of you can get to the airport alive...let alone find your way back to your computers! Did you all go to embry riddle or Purdue?

hehehehehe...

Went to the library and researched this for hours..

According to my calculations...using the formula V/Cl x V(t) + Treadmill speed/s x 3.14+ Gravity= your answer. Yup time to crack open another one.....F_UCK IT

If I'm flying a plane with 1000lb of Canaries, and they all get loose and are flying around inside the aircraft, does my gross weight decrese by 1000lb?

Only if they get blown through the outflow valve. Or would they get sucked out the outflow valve???

hehehehehehe...

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back