• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Legal things that aren't safe at all

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Oh just thought of another one that will certainly top all the previous ideas!! Take a 172 right through a level 5 supercell squall line!! After all there is no FAR against flying a plane straight through a boomer but it would be illegal to fly that same 172 into even light ice!

ILS to mins at night at the end of a 16 hour day with 8+ hours of flight time, no autopilot, 19 paying pax onboard.

>>Single engine night. I know there were several times when flying on those dark cloudy nights when I had NO OUTS. Low altitude, hilly terrain, no moonlight. Engine quits and no chance for restart, I pitch for best glide (or slower to lessen the impact)<<

Yes, slower. Fly the minimum rate of descent airspeed (what? you don't know it? Read Schiff's *Proficient Pilot* for a discussion) in this case. Gives you more time to troubleshoot, look for a landing area, talk to ATC, say your prayers, or all of the above. Plus the slower you are flying in terms of horizontal as well as vertical speed, the better your chances of surviving "impact," i.e. contact with a surface you do not see.

>>Taking off 25 pounds over gross at seal level is not "unsafe", just not legal. (So don't do it.)<<

Define "unsafe." "Safe" for your life...maybe (see below), but not safe for your certificate if you get ramped. Remember, max gross weight is a limitation.

And, define "sea level." Are you aware that when taking off from KMSY (Elevation 4 ft. MSL) on a 40C day in the rain, the DA is 3000 feet taking into account the temperature alone...plus (roughly) an additional 1000 feet taking into account the humidity? And, you will have the weight and drag of the rainwater on the aircraft surfaces to contend with, plus the vertical impingement load of the rain...not readily calculable, but a factor nonetheless. It might not be "safe" to take off a single at gross weight or even under it in these "sea level" conditions.

Relax, I am not busting your chops, it's just that when someone new to flying reads these posts I am trying to make the point that there is always something more to be considered in the problem...don't get complacent or make assumptions doing something you have done 100 times before.

Putting your face in a fan and saying " Luke I am your Father ". Certainly legal, just not safe.

apcooper said:
Oh just thought of another one that will certainly top all the previous ideas!! Take a 172 right through a level 5 supercell squall line!! After all there is no FAR against flying a plane straight through a boomer but it would be illegal to fly that same 172 into even light ice!

Quite illegal according to ;

The reg that covers all that wasn't covered. 91.13!

Having the right side attitude indicator deffered on your Part 135 Chieftain and the MEL requires you to remain day VFR only. So now you fly in the mountainous west scud running below clouds and remaining legally VFR. Makes a lot more sense to be up in the clouds IFR way high above the mountain tops but you can't because your MEL doesn't allow it.

Joining the Mile High Club without an autopilot as PIC in actual IFR!!! Any of you done that?!!!

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back