Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

UnstableAviator

Dual Given.
The "would you take off 25 pounds over gross" thread got me thinking a little bit about why we do some things in aviation that are most likely unsafe yet commonplace. Taking off 25 pounds over gross at seal level is not "unsafe", just not legal. (So don't do it.)

Somethings that popped into my head are:

Single engine night. I know there were several times when flying on those dark cloudy nights when I had NO OUTS. Low altitude, hilly terrain, no moonlight. Engine quits and no chance for restart, I pitch for best glide (or slower to lessen the impact) and hope for the best. Seems like I should get the pants sued off of me for "Careless and Reckless" if someone died in the crash.

Gusty winds on narrow runways. I know it is more of a skill thing that can't be quantified, but watching some people land on a <30' wide runway with gusty crosswinds definately isn't safe. Some pilots have no problem, but the weekend warrior is asking for bent metal.

Single vacuum pump IMC. I know we train for it, and I didn't have any problem flying partial panel, but recognizing the failure (when not equipped with flags) during a high-workload time such as departure or the approach doesn't seem like a very good situation to find yourself in.

Flying VFR with 3 miles vis. Done it before, even if I'm familiar with the area, it isn't easy to navigate. Forget looking for traffic, all your attention is focused on looking for the airport/terrain/etc.

Special VFR. It has a time and place, but I know we've all heard people getting it when better judgement says otherwise.

Light twins that can't climb on one. I know this is probably most light twins out there, but everytime we takeoff that is a risk that has somehow been deemed acceptable. Charts say you'll get 50'/min or so, but I know the loaded Navajo doesn't stand a chance. Hence the takeoff briefing which includes a prayer for letting the engines run for 2 minutes. I know I've said that prayer before.

I'm just thinking outloud, comments welcome.

Ultralight flying!!! No prior training? No certificate? You built it in your moms garage with some scrap steel, an $80 MIG welder, and a lawnmower engine??? You're legal to fly!!!

Last edited:
UnstableAviator said:
Light twins that can't climb on one.

Single engines can't climb when they one also. Unsafe? We still takeoff in them. It's just an acceptable risk. Just like getting in your car and driving around Atlanta.

Don't let that stuff sit on your brain. You'll have yourself freaked out by the end of the day and wandering around bumping into things.

But too add on to the list, flying in Class G at 600 AGL in IMC. Uncontrolled airspace right? Flying on instrument rules? Stupid but legal right?

Last edited:
UnstableAviator said:
I'm just thinking outloud, comments welcome.

Off the top of my head:

1. Flying with the Chief Pilot
2. 2 IP's flying together.
3. An Air Wing fly-off! (There's not a tailhooker alive that doesn't have a "fly-off" story that makes him/her shake their head)
4. Tailwind landings on 27 at SAN.
5. Flying B757-300's in/out of MDW.

I lost one in a 55 baron once. As I remember it wasn't a sudden and total loss of power. I think it ran very well for having a cracked cylinder all things considered. I would say most aircraft engines as desinged with an inflight failure in mind. I wasn't gonna get home before it blew totally, but I think the extra 2 or 3 minutes it would have run shoul I have needed it would be very helpful.

I'm sure it is possible to lose all power in a very short period of time (something mechanical, not fuel, ice , etc), I wouldn't think it was very common.

A 121 carrier flying into an uncontrolled field.

An alternate 20nm away from your destination.

The unofficial "Charted Visual" to Runway 17 at KSPS.

Flowbacks.

Deferrable nosewheel steering.

The nine hour rest rule.

1. Flying with the Chief Pilot

LOL! No kidding...

Driving a car aint safe either, but I wouldn't recommend exceeding design limitations on them either.

How many owners of SUV's have looked in their owner manuals to read what the weight limitations are or what the stopping distances are? I think they might be surprised to find out that they exceed the limitations more often than they care to know.

Peeing on an electric fence..legal(unless the farmer catches you) but something that would most likely sting.

Climing an apple tree during grafting season...legal..but a butt-load of rocksalt fromt he angry farmer..*priceless*

Flying 6 approaches under the hood w/safety pilot with holds and course intercepts and then 5 months and 29 days later taking off in 0/0 with LLWS and then at a nearby airport with slightly better WX and flying an ILS to ldg with 200ft and 1/2!

Latest resources

Back