• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Leave SWA for AA or Delta?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
If your unhappy with the job will moving to the bottom of the list somewhere else make you more happy?

He's obviously thinking long term.

"had" to pay for a type ? That has never been a requirement to be a pilot at SWA. If it had been, I would've never been hired.

Someone paid for it, except your company. That's the point. What's great now is that they finally HAVE TO with the AT 717 guys transitioning. Maybe if you start charging for bags, you can pay for it....

Bye Bye---General Lee

They did great.....no question. What's your point?

Some of them did, but others who retired early have been kicking themselves for years now. I knew a 757 captain who retired early at age 52, and got $400,000 in his lump sum. Between the change to Age 65 and a successful merger, he would have been a mid-level 7ER/A330/765/ captain easily making $200,000 or more the past five years, if not more.

For those guys approaching age 60 in 2004/5 timeframe, retiring early and getting the lump sum truly was a no-brainer. For the guys in their early 50s it was a whole other story.

What I loved hearing was all my fellow F/Os stating something like "I can't see why anyone would stay--I would be out of here in a heartbeat if I could."

Bull...sheet. They all only said that because they wanted everyone above them to retire early so that they could move up. Hey, I wanted the same! But I was honest about it--I was only thinking about me and not conjuring some fake crocodile tears all out of "concern" for the overall well-being of captains who were senior to me.

Some of them did, but others who retired early have been kicking themselves for years now. I knew a 757 captain who retired early at age 52, and got $400,000 in his lump sum. Between the change to Age 65 and a successful merger, he would have been a mid-level 7ER/A330/765/ captain easily making $200,000 or more the past five years, if not more.

For those guys approaching age 60 in 2004/5 timeframe, retiring early and getting the lump sum truly was a no-brainer. For the guys in their early 50s it was a whole other story.

What I loved hearing was all my fellow F/Os stating something like "I can't see why anyone would stay--I would be out of here in a heartbeat if I could."

Bull...sheet. They all only said that because they wanted everyone above them to retire early so that they could move up. Hey, I wanted the same! But I was honest about it--I was only thinking about me and not conjuring some fake crocodile tears all out of "concern" for the overall well-being of captains who were senior to me.

Nobody knew what was going to happen with BK. Heck, Parker took a shot at DL. If they had a large lump sum waiting, then the choice was obvious. $400k? I don't know about that. That seems like a personal choice.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Back in 09 I had recurrent in Phoenix for LCC, and we had a youngish, fit looking guy who had taken the early retirement from Delta who was teaching the general subjects on the first day. If I remember right, he was doing that more for something to do than anything else. I only remember seeing him that one time though, I don't think he stayed long. A real nice fellow.

Latest resources

Back