• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Leave SWA for AA or Delta?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Tell me what the economy will do in the next few years and I'll tell you what to do....

Just my 2 cents, but i'd be really hesitant to leave Southwest. Like Vette said, i too know to many people that got burned hoping around. I remember a couple years after getting hired at AWA i thought about leaving, i had several thousand 121 PIC and 4 yr. The wisest guys i knew all said the same thing. Unless bankruptcy or liquadation is eminent, don't jump ship. Glad i didn't.

Don't jump ship, and don't notice that 15,000 pilots from the big 3 will retire within 10 years. Consolidation will strengthen the remaining big 3, not weaken them. Looking at the past doesn't mean it will repeat in the future. Instead, just stagnate at SWA. That doesn't seem out of the question, to anyone, even at SWA apparently. Being hired in the first half of a hiring wave like this can reset your career, and the retirements will happen.

Bye Bye---General Lee

It's all a roll of the dice.

Then the ugly girl at the dance smashes into the big drunk texas quarterback, but not without the govt. principle trying to separate them. Now we're banging under the gym bleachers and get to be one of the big 3.

What's next? F'ck if I know. All I do is show up, try not to screw the pooch and make the news, pass my checkrides and go home.

If I were you (original poster) I'd stay put.

LOL !!!!!

Thanks for the laughs. This career can drive a person to drink. Which reminds me... (reaches for gin and tonic).

Don`t do it! Stay where you are.

Yes! Stagnate! Avoid MANDATORY retirement numbers around 15,000. Avoid a variety of flying. And make sure you don't interview and try to get an offer before following the retired guy's advice. Just don't do anything...

Btw, the retired guy does have a point IF you can't get on in the first couple years of hiring. Being in the latter half of a hiring wave isn't prudent.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Last edited:
Just imagine for a moment.

5.5-6 yr FO, early 30s, at SWA.
Still in the bottom 10% (believe it or not.)

Upgrade is a total of 20-21 years.

Morale is getting stinky here.
We've bungled Hawaii, Class 2 nav, our route structure, we're late.
Our CEO is more focused on saving money than growth.
Contract neg. are going nowhere.

Work rules are ok, pay is good.

Given the massive retirements coming, would you consider leaving for AA or Delta??

Why or why not?
Discuss.....

[FONT=&quot]Tough call. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Assuming you aren't harboring a secret lust to fly the really big iron to really far-away places (if so, then why are you here?), then it comes down to career expectations. Which in turn distills out to whether you bet on SWA's scope vs. AA's retirements. Unless we cave in this Sect 6 (and I?m not saying it couldn't happen), ALL SWA flying will continue to be done by SWAPA pilots. No one else can say the same. Between RJs and international code-sharing/joint ventures, all Legacy pilots are still vulnerable to more outsourcing of their jobs. AA/USAir are just starting down the merger path, and will be in for a long period of ugly like we are now experiencing with ATN. As recent deals have shown, 1+1=1.5 with most any merger, and those ?synergies? will offset some of AA/USAir?s upcoming retirements. The Legacies already pretty much go from everywhere to everywhere else, so there?s really not much potential growth left. But it?s a big new world outside the Lower 48 for SWA and when we eventually get out of our own way to send canyon-blue airplanes beyond SJU, then there could be some real serious organic growth again. However, in all likelihood we will buy another airline within the next decade and that will mute much of the potential growth. :([/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Like someone else already said, tell me what the economy does in the next five years and I can tell you which airline to go to.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Good luck.[/FONT]

Hey Beech,

You have been a SWA 6 years and you have over thirty years to go.? Man I wish I had that much time left. How many guys do you have below you (including AT)? I'm the equivalent of mid 2008 and I have 1100 guys below me. I can't make the numbers work to think about going anywhere else but I guess it's not all about money. If you are trying to raise a family that's a tougher call because a mistake has a bigger impact. If you are single and want to be a Captain sooner, different story. Despite my opinion about the SWA/ AT deal, I still like the balance sheet at SWA and the stability it will provide. Overused Cliche Alert! Someone once told me you won't know if you made the right call until you look back after you retire.

Stay away from Delta...Unless you are cool with Genital "lee" Warts as your dispatcher, or crew scheduling contact...I am still on the fence as to which department she really is in

Latest resources

Back