• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Leave SWA for AA or Delta?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
So, because a company did something years ago, it's ok to do it today? Air Beirut probably made their DC3 pilots in the 1950s poop in buckets. Soooo, you guys should do it today? Come on! DL/NWA just did the pay parity thing a couple years before your own merger. You guys had the chance to watch two mergers, and how things worked out at each. Did you guys learn anything? Apparently not. Quit making excuses while using the past to justify it.

Bye Bye---General Lee

You truly are a case study in the lack of reading comprehension.

Those RJ pilots aren't in the mainline pilot group, a lot of them aren't owned by DL. AT pilots are on your seniority list, and they fly the exact same planes. Come on Red, you know that.... Good try. I think Lufthansa should also pay 747-800 pilots the same as Zeplin Blimp pilots of the past, they are the same size..... Great DC9-10 analogy.... Good try Red...

Bye Bye---General Lee

Good try? Haha.

You have guys flying YOUR passengers around at a THIRD of the mainline rate. You know, the same size planes that you recently flew. Around 40% of your domestic feed is from Connection. Flying you should be doing...not some other outsourced company.

Meanwhile, AirTran was offered the same pay from the guy who has the checkbook. It got turned down. It's all over and done with in a year and you say it's the same as 25+ years of DALPA outsourcing and counting. Your argument makes you look like an idiot General.

Last edited:
People always say " a whole bunch of SWA FOs are going to leave because they can upgrade at other carriers faster." , but for some reason, we never hear about people who have actually left SWA to go to a legacy.

in 2007 I was in the crew room and a girl was in there was saying it was her last day, she was going to UPS. (she had her reasons, believe her husband was Fedex and they could both be based in Alaska), She left and was furloughed shortly after getting there AND I was always told that "FedEx and UPS were the most STABLE JOBS in the industry!" Their is nothing stable in this business, NOTHING!!!

People do leave, an ex assistant CP would state "that management knew people would be leaving when the big boys started hiring." but it still hasn't come to fruition! if the hiring "Flood gates" ever open I think you'll see more leave BUT until then, I doubt it.

And what happens if the retirement age goes to 67 (or higher), those rumors are still out there!

Later,
KBB

in 2007 I was in the crew room and a girl was in there was saying it was her last day, she was going to UPS. (she had her reasons, believe her husband was Fedex and they could both be based in Alaska), She left and was furloughed shortly after getting there AND I was always told that "FedEx and UPS were the most STABLE JOBS in the industry!" Their is nothing stable in this business, NOTHING!!!

People do leave, an ex assistant CP would state "that management knew people would be leaving when the big boys started hiring." but it still hasn't come to fruition! if the hiring "Flood gates" ever open I think you'll see more leave BUT until then, I doubt it.

And what happens if the retirement age goes to 67 (or higher), those rumors are still out there!

Later,
KBB

Only SWA Capts and AMEs want age 67. What I have heard is that the UAL Capt who died over BOI and the FO had to divert into there really hurt the "age 67" movement.

The floodgates at the big 3 really haven't opened up yet, and there probably are plenty of bottom Corndogs and AT pilots looking to avoid certain stagnation. It's just a matter of when.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Good try? Haha.

You have guys flying YOUR passengers around at a THIRD of the mainline rate. You know, the same size planes that you recently flew. Around 40% of your domestic feed is from Connection. Flying you should be doing...not some other outsourced company.

Meanwhile, AirTran was offered the same pay from the guy who has the checkbook. It got turned down. It's all over and done with in a year and you say it's the same as 25+ years of DALPA outsourcing and counting. Your argument makes you look like an idiot General.

Red,

Do you think LH 748 Capts should get Zeplin blimp pay? Same size, different eras though. But, you seem to think that matters....

And, you obviously take the first offer at the used car lot. If you had an agreement that stated arbitration was an option, why take the first offer? Oh, I guess we all figured something out though.... When negotiating with your bosses, you BETTER take the first offer, or watch out! Do your union guys know this? Uhhhh ohhhhh. There go your next contract talks....

Bye Bye---General Lee

Go to AA, you don't want to be known as a Wind checker or a Delta radio (121.50) radio abuser all your life, do you? Have Fun....

Last edited:
I agree with the just of your post, however you are mixing up seniority and longevity...poster is not ganging seniority if they are not expanding or retiring pilots.

This is such a GOOD point ig-

Over the years talking to a lot of usair pilots- why didn't you leave?
"Bc I didn't want to start over"
You did start over
Right wrong sh/tty or not if you're on the bottom, you're on the bottom.
There is value to longevity, true- but don't mix up the terms as you navigate this career

Just imagine for a moment.

5.5-6 yr FO, early 30s, at SWA.
Still in the bottom 10% (believe it or not.)

Upgrade is a total of 20-21 years.

Morale is getting stinky here.
We've bungled Hawaii, Class 2 nav, our route structure, we're late.
Our CEO is more focused on saving money than growth.
Contract neg. are going nowhere.

Work rules are ok, pay is good.

Given the massive retirements coming, would you consider leaving for AA or Delta??

Why or why not?
Discuss.....

I didn't know AA or Delta had a Milan base

Right wrong sh/tty or not if you're on the bottom, you're on the bottom.
There is value to longevity, true- but don't mix up the terms as you navigate this career

If anyone requires additional clarification between longevity and seniority, please don't hesitate to query an AirTran pilot regarding the matter.

Last edited:
-9cpt:

To paraphrase GK at a recent AAI transition class talk: We like it here at SWA if you (AAI transition pilot(s)) are unhappy, GO SOMEWHERE ELSE...

Latest resources

Back